Wanting exotic exhaust sound for 3.7 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

I think if the motor revved faster it would sound more exotic no matter what exhaust setup is on it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Good point... revs are also a sound factor under load.

2014 Mustang V6 Premium w/Pony and Comfort Packages. White w/Light Stone interior.

(The Coyote was tempting, but I already have a hot rod!)

1968 Chevelle, 383ci SBC, tri-power, 4-speed, longtubes, Magnaflows.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well you can make it rev faster if you get more aggressive gears. The g37's come with 3.91 gears stock. Also, I think my car sounds better than any g37 i've ever heard. less rasp and deeper.

2012 Mustang v6 BBK Shorty Headers - YouTube

here is a genesis coupe 3.8. it's engine is based off the g37 engine... almost identical other than the .1 change in displacement. it has an exhaust too here's how it sounds in that same position. it comes with 4.19 gears stock. which sound do you prefer? there are axlebacks that can get the 3.7 sounding similiar to this genesis coupe if you want that high pitched wail through the revs.

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Exhaust Driveby - YouTube

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

This is what you need if you want an exotic sounding exhaust.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

here is a genesis coupe 3.8. it's engine is based off the g37 engine... almost identical other than the .1 change in displacement. it has an exhaust too here's how it sounds in that same position. it comes with 4.19 gears stock. which sound do you prefer? there are axlebacks that can get the 3.7 sounding similiar to this genesis coupe if you want that high pitched wail through the revs.
The genesis coupe v6 was designed by Hyundai/Kia it shares no parts with a Infiniti or Nissan motor. The turbo 4 was a world motor developed by Mitsubishi,Chrysler, and the Korean auto groups.... I believe the key to making the sound different other than exhaust is cam profile. And as others have said ported heads and intake manifolds throttle body and full exhaust. At the end of the day there is not much exotic about the 3.7 no flat plane crank. The most exotic thing about it in my opinion is variable cam timing.

Current mustang
2013 3.7 MT-82:pony package,pype bomb's axleback and that's all for now
Past mustang
2007 4.0 T-5 :Pony package,pypes axleback, afe cold air intake, bama tuned
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmxblazer View Post
The genesis coupe v6 was designed by Hyundai/Kia it shares no parts with a Infiniti or Nissan motor. The turbo 4 was a world motor developed by Mitsubishi,Chrysler, and the Korean auto groups.... I believe the key to making the sound different other than exhaust is cam profile. And as others have said ported heads and intake manifolds throttle body and full exhaust. At the end of the day there is not much exotic about the 3.7 no flat plane crank. The most exotic thing about it in my opinion is variable cam timing.
If you say so im not sure on jt because the owner told me that his salesmen told him that.

maybe the salesmen had the 2.0t and the 3.8 confused. Or maybe it was a sales tactic. Either way I think it sounds very similar to a g37. It doesn't perform like the vq engines though, even if its rated at more hp and torque.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
PONY Member
S197 Member

From what every one has posted shorty headers are a must to quell the raspiness and Borlas Sports or the Ford FRPP sports seem to have the most exotic sound.
PONY Member

FRPP sports are musical

2012 Black MCA, HID package, Steeda splitter, Airaid cold air intake, AM Hood struts, FRPP Sport axle back, Soon : matching lower grille, MMD tailight surrounds and tint.
Rookie

I have a 2014 V6...I have a Flowmaster SS 40 series from Lou's Custom...I get a lot of compliments on the sound....sounds really good at WOT!....3.73 gears...CIA...Tune....Alum. shaft
Apprentice

Well I don't know if mine would be considered exotic but I know it doesn't sound like a V8. I've been told it is actually kinda ricey in the upper RPMS, that wasn't exactly what I was going for but I still love the sound.

2011 V6 Mustang Start up and Rev before and after BBK LT Headers W/ Catted X Pipe - YouTube

There is a link to what it sounds like now. Just so you know that was recorded on my phone, the Galaxy S3.

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnxboyxjoe View Post
Well I don't know if mine would be considered exotic but I know it doesn't sound like a V8. I've been told it is actually kinda ricey in the upper RPMS, that wasn't exactly what I was going for but I still love the sound.

2011 V6 Mustang Start up and Rev before and after BBK LT Headers W/ Catted X Pipe - YouTube

There is a link to what it sounds like now. Just so you know that was recorded on my phone, the Galaxy S3.
The magnaflow competition is essentially a muffler delete. IT sounds good revving and idling, and low rpms. But it sounds kinda ricey going through the rpm range. I had a muffler delete done on my car for about a month before I couldn't take it anymore and took it off. it made me embarrassed of the car. the magnaflow competition series catback I think has glass pack resonators at the axlebacks? i know the axleback doesn't have any resonators.

Banned

I also have shorties but, I left my midpipe and axle backs stock. Did you have your shorties on when you still had the Magnaflows, Powerwhee? I think the shorties would refine the sound a bit but, I'm not sure how or in what way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page