Wanting exotic exhaust sound for 3.7 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wanting exotic exhaust sound for 3.7

(I posted this in wrong forum earlier.)

I noticed a lot of V6 owners wanting exhaust to make their cars sound like a V8. That's not my case, though.

I'd much rather embrace the V6 and get the best sound out of it.

My wife's G37 sounds good, but it's too soft.

The sister to the G37 is the 370 Z, and I have checked out a couple of them at Coffee and Cars, and they sound really good, and the ones with aftermarket exhaust systems sound great!

So I'm wondering if there's a faction here that feel the same way, and what are the mods they've made?

I don't want it super loud, that's not the point. (I have an old hot rod in the garage that fills that need!)

2014 Mustang V6 Premium w/Pony and Comfort Packages. White w/Light Stone interior.

(The Coyote was tempting, but I already have a hot rod!)

1968 Chevelle, 383ci SBC, tri-power, 4-speed, longtubes, Magnaflows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWms View Post
(I posted this in wrong forum earlier.)

I noticed a lot of V6 owners wanting exhaust to make their cars sound like a V8. That's not my case, though.

I'd much rather embrace the V6 and get the best sound out of it.

My wife's G37 sounds good, but it's too soft.

The sister to the G37 is the 370 Z, and I have checked out a couple of them at Coffee and Cars, and they sound really good, and the ones with aftermarket exhaust systems sound great!

So I'm wondering if there's a faction here that feel the same way, and what are the mods they've made?

I don't want it super loud, that's not the point. (I have an old hot rod in the garage that fills that need!)
Check out the Corsa Sport, I have them on my car and I don't think they try to sound like a V8. Aggressive/exotic yes, very little rasp( I've never heard a 3.7 with no rasp) and no drone. Stock except the axlebacks.

2012 Premium V6 Mustang, Candy Red, Performance Package, Manual.

Mods: Steeda Sports, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mount, UMI LCA's, UMI Panhard Bar, Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
Apprentice

The Borla S Type on mine sounds very 370zish to me

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
Rookie

I have a 2009 G37 and the exhaust does sound good. I just added Borla's Touring exhaust to my 2014 Mustang and it sounds a lot better. It is not much louder at idle or cruse, but realy sounds good under acceleration. Not a V8 sound but it does kinda sound like a European sports car.

2014, V6, manual, Gray, Perf Pkg, Prem Pkg, Borla exhaust, BBK TB, Steeda CAI, Bama Tune.

Last edited by ehc0720; 09-09-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: adding more comment
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
PONY Member

this is what youre looking for

Mustang V6 Custom MRT-Interceptor Exhaust - YouTube

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
Banned

I have been thinking of the stainless works chambered exhaust along with resonator's in the tail pipes.this way you get that's nostalgic sound but no rasp to it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
Apprentice

Keep in mind every mod you do to the intake or exhaust can change sound to some degree. I thought my Borla S sounded great till I put long tubes on. Than it became a monster. But in a good way. CAI can change it some. Throttle body can change it.

11 AT 3.7 BBK ceramic LT. ORX w/res. Borla S. BBK TB. Roush CAI. Bama 93R. 2:73 candy red w/black. Saddle int.
14 MT82 3.7 Performance Package GHIG 3.31gear. Stock.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

BBK Short Tube headers, Cut and Camp X-pipe and Borla Touring

Borla 002 - YouTube

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
Banned

I'll have to second the Corsa Sport exhaust. I don't have Corsa's but, with shorty headers, FRPP cut/clamp and some Corsa's would sound sexy for sure. Very refined, classy and sophisticated. Not some obnoxious attention getter.
Apprentice

I can say my setup is obnoxiously loud at WOT. But the power it gives is well worth it.

11 AT 3.7 BBK ceramic LT. ORX w/res. Borla S. BBK TB. Roush CAI. Bama 93R. 2:73 candy red w/black. Saddle int.
14 MT82 3.7 Performance Package GHIG 3.31gear. Stock.
PONY Member

Three words: electric exhaust cutouts !
Apprentice

I had a G35 before this Mustang and I've read articles where they compare the exhaust note of the two cars but the G and Z series cars have a unique sound to them that might be hard to duplicate. I think a lot of people just assume that V6 owners who add exhaust are after a V8 sound because they don't see the point. I had a Flowmaster on an 01 V6 and it sounded nice to me but don't think that's what you're after. I think my G35 had the nicest stock exhaust note of any vehicle including motorcycles of any vehicle I've owned.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyrock View Post
I had a G35 before this Mustang and I've read articles where they compare the exhaust note of the two cars but the G and Z series cars have a unique sound to them that might be hard to duplicate. I think a lot of people just assume that V6 owners who add exhaust are after a V8 sound because they don't see the point. I had a Flowmaster on an 01 V6 and it sounded nice to me but don't think that's what you're after. I think my G35 had the nicest stock exhaust note of any vehicle including motorcycles of any vehicle I've owned.
The reason g35s and g37 have nice exhaust sounds is because from the factory the come with tuned length shorty headers which gives them that nice deep smooth rev up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

In thinking about it, the degree of banks separation, (think 45 degree v-twin), and the bore and stroke would be the basis for sound/tone potential.

For those reasons it may not be possible to make a 3.7 V6 Ford sound like a 3.7 Nissan/Infiniti V6, but I'm sure we can get close using the right combination of exhaust components.

It could be fine-tuned via headers, pipes, mufflers, and resonators.

A couple of years a go I saw/heard a Gen 5 (2010+) Camaro 3.6 V6 with only CATs and resonators that sounded great, but was a tad loud.

That may be worth a try?

Meanwhile I'm going to listen to all the sound bites and peruse everyone's choices.

Thanks All!

2014 Mustang V6 Premium w/Pony and Comfort Packages. White w/Light Stone interior.

(The Coyote was tempting, but I already have a hot rod!)

1968 Chevelle, 383ci SBC, tri-power, 4-speed, longtubes, Magnaflows.
Apprentice

Good point about the degrees of the cylinders. V-Twins and inline 4 bikes never sound anything alike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page