Which Suspension Kit? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Which Suspension Kit?

Ok so it's almost end-of-season (sorry) and time to start planning upgrades. I used my '12 V6PP as a daily driver with occasional autoX and time trials - so which set up did you go with and why?

What did you like about it?/Not like about it?

I'm leaning towards an FMS upgrade set up but I'm open to suggestions.

Give us your thoughts.

TIA

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
PONY Member

What is your suspension setup now?

If you don't have extreme performance summer tires or race tires, then that is where I would start...That and more front camber... you can never have enough front camber.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
What is your suspension setup now?

If you don't have extreme performance summer tires or race tires, then that is where I would start...That and more front camber... you can never have enough front camber.
Really?

Never?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Banned

How much experience/practice do you have?

You're probably going to elicit the response of some uptight purist who insists that the only mod you need is the driver mod - save for new tires when you burn through your current set. Much akin to exhaust choices, suspension choices are a matter of preference. There's no catch-all, no "I win" suspension set up. This isn't drag racing so, you're going to have to piece together a set that works for you, per your driving style.

There are always the key components, though. Lowering your center of gravity reducing body roll without trying to eliminate it, etc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have a Factory Five MKII Roadster for any serious racing be it Track Day or AutoCross so my Mustang is my daily driver. I wanted to ellicit some feedback from people who have installed and experienced the various set ups - that's really what I'm looking for here.

My Mustang is a 2012 V6 coupe with the Performance Pkg....like the MCA version sort of.

So - who has used the Eibach system either the Pro or the Sport? - how well did it work on the street, what about those who have gone with FMS? or Hotchkiss or Steeda or Roush or Saleen?

There are a lot of companies selling a lot of systems and levels so chime in - tell us what you're running, what you like and don't like....

TIA

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Apprentice

Are you looking at lowering the car? I am thinking of upgrading some suspension bits down the road, but have no idea where to start when I do decide. Most suspension kits lower the car. I have seen a few damper kits that work with stock ride height. I am leaning more towards stock height to have more travel, just better damping. My 13 PP has a firm ride, but seems under damped at times. With the sticky Pirellis and larger sway bars, it turns in quickly and has very little under steer. I think all the car needs is something to help settle the rear end and a better damping at all 4 corners.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Rookie

I’ve only had my 2014 for a couple of days so take this with a grain of salt.

Most of the aftermarket springs I’ve seen for these cars are variable rate. A poor choice. You can’t valve a shock correctly to match and all you get is sloppy corner entry and a lot of brake dive. Lowering the car will affect the anti-squat, pinion angle, rear end centering and bump-steer. All of these things can be fixed, but this is just food for thought and of course it depends how much you lower it. The FMS stuff I’ve seen is variable rate.

Get good shocks! I like Bilstiens, but Koni seems to be the popular choice for these cars. My 2014 will be my DD (the 68 is for performance) . So far I plan on using the Route 66 55D rear springs to bring down the rear a tad w/o throwing out the geometry too bad. I’ll add Bilstiens at the same time. If the front ends up being seriously under-sprung, I’ll replace my GT springs with the factory Brembo springs. That’s the plan anyway.

68 Convertible- stroker, 5 sp, coilovers, torque arm, lots a fun

2014 v6 Premium, manual, Recaros, Performance Package, Ordered:7/25 DOB:8/19 Delivered:9/5/13
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Rookie

i went with the eibach pro kit and love it. the price was too good to beat.... the car sits lower and rolls a lot less... Its a little stiff for the street, but i like it like that. not perfect, but definitely a massive improvement over stock..

11 v6 auto. black.black bbk longtubes/xpipe, magnaflow gt competition exhaust, sct93 tune, Eibach Pro kit, GT break upgrade.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
I like the price on the Pro kit too and don't mind a firm ride also I've found with the Roadster that it is better to stay with a "pkg" as opposed to this companies springs and anothers dampers kinda thing - unless you really know what your doing you can throw it off pretty badly.

Definitely would like to drop the car a bit lower but not too much.

Keep those reviews coming....

Scott

F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page