Headers and X-Pipe? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Headers and X-Pipe?

Hey everyone,

Could someone please educate me on headers and x-pipes? I've seen a lot of people talking about them, and I looked them up and read some of the pros of getting them. I'm just not sure what to look for(long tubes, shorty headers, shorty x-pipe, catted, off road?) These terms might as well be in another language to me. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated. I drive a '13 V6. I have Magnaflow Axlebacks on it for now, not sure that it matters but I figured I throw it in there just in case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Banned

Holy **** i thought i was bad with not searching... But wow... ANOTHER header thread?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Apprentice

Well from my understanding there are several factors that determine what you get, for example
I wanted to increase my performance as much as I could at my current income while staying NA thus I opted for LT headers rather than shorty.
From what I understand is that Long tubes are more along the lines of performance where as Shortys are more for sound and little increase in performance, now I could be wrong so don't hold it against me. Also the money you are willing to spend is another BIG factor, if you have the money and want as much performance as possible why not go for Long tubes, if you don't but still want performance you can opt for the Shortys or wait till you have enough for the Long tubes.
If you get Long tubes you are gonna need a Shorty Xpipe and with this you have 2 options, the catted one and the off road one. Both are good but depending on the laws and regulations from where your at and if they do emission testing should determine which one to get. From my knowledge we do emissions where I'm at so I went and got the Catted X pipe, but there are people who get both and just switch out the catted one for the catless after they have done emissions. The catless X pipe will give more performance and it will also make the car much more raspy and ricey sounding, the catted one helps bring down some of that raspiness. Another reason why I opted for the Catted version.
Now if you go for the Shorty headers you do not need a Shorty Xpipe instead the Shorty headers use the factory x-h pipe hybrid that ford put on the cars. You can also purchase an H pipe or X pipe to help even the flow with the Shortys if you wish but you don't have to, but if you have the money then why not.
Another factor would be sound, you have to listen to sound clips online but they will never match the sound, the best way to see if that is the note you want to hit is to buy some exhaust and put it on. Everyone has different tastes some may like that loudness of headers, where as some don't, it all depends on you and what you're looking for.
Another note is that you will need a tune for the headers, I'm not sure about the Shorty headers, but I know you will need one for the Long tubes, somebody with Shortys can chime in and tell you if they needed a tune or not.
Sorry for the long post.

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
Holy **** i thought i was bad with not searching... But wow... ANOTHER header thread?
Yep, lots of duplicate threads. The difference is if the op is receptive and not argumentative like others.....

I don't know on the gain differences between the shorties and long tubes, but the shorties really help enhance the exhaust note from a few videos i've seen.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
Apprentice

Long tubes are just that they typically extend past where the old cats were. Better flow numbers since there is no area joined with another pipe. Like an offroad xpipe.or on road with a high flowing cat. Shorties and an offroad x pipe , the xpipe can be swapped out relatively easily when emissions testing arrives versus the long tubes require a little more work. It all depends on your preference from what I have seen off road long tubes have the best results.

Current mustang
2013 3.7 MT-82:pony package,pype bomb's axleback and that's all for now
Past mustang
2007 4.0 T-5 :Pony package,pypes axleback, afe cold air intake, bama tuned
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. And sorry about not searching before hand, I'll do that from now on.

I'm going more for performance so I guess I'll go with the long tubes and an off road shorty x pipe. But I plan on getting a tuner and CAI before getting those.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It depends on where you want power at, with the Shorties I have a lot more low to mid range power and a much smoother Acceleration going past 3500 RPM. I am also running Stock Cats with the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe.
I like to drive in the mountains, and there is a lot more down low than stock, where I would be downshifting one more gear it picks it right up now.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
It depends on where you want power at, with the Shorties I have a lot more low to mid range power and a much smoother Acceleration going past 3500 RPM. I am also running Stock Cats with the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe.
I like to drive in the mountains, and there is a lot more down low than stock, where I would be downshifting one more gear it picks it right up now.
Gotta agree with you on that. Finding myself using low rpm all the time now.

Feels good not having to pass 5k rpm and still get acceleration. Before the powerband was like and on/off switch where it would have no power than surge at 3k a little than at 4.5k and at 6k surge again. Now the powerband is nice and smooth, power starts from 2000 rpm and just seems to build to the redline with no surging and constant pull easily.

The power gains are there because even with my stock mid pipe I raced my friend and his 2013 genesis coupe 3.8 from a 40 mph roll on, 2nd gear at 3800 rpm, right in the power band where the headers should be putting in gains. Right at the hit I began pulling, and by the end of second gear and shifting into third I had a car on him. I could have easily 2 cars on him if the race continued to 100 but we just wanted to do a short pull to see the after results with the headers. Before the headers he was right on my ass, I edged him out by maybe half a car length and that was to 100. SO I think the shorty headers are definitely good for peak gains and low end gains.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the info! I actually might like that better. I don't race, and I rarely push the car to the limits, so something that gives better acceleration in the lower-mid range might be for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page