2013 v6 sound questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 v6 sound questions

I have a 2013 v6. I installed borla ATAK exhaust on it and love the sound. Obviously I know it can never sound like a v8 because that sound is truly one of a kind but what could I put on it as well to make it sound deeper and more "throaty"?

i.e. shorts vs long tube headers, throttle body, etc

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
Apprentice

Shorty headers will deepen the exhaust note, but there are currently few options available for the 3.7. I am waiting for someone to make stainless shorties. LT headers require an aftermarket X pipe which is available with or without catalytic converters. LT's typically amplify the V6 raspiness. Some people are running LT's, catted X, and resonators ahead of the mufflers and that cuts down on the rasp. This setup will require a tune.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
Rookie

I have a 2014 V6...I have a Flowmaster SS 40 series from Lou's Custom...I get a lot of compliments on the sound....sounds really good at WOT!....3.73 gears...CIA...Tune....Alum. shaft

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
Banned

Shorty headers are certainly your first step in that aspect, I would say. The next would be some form of resonated exhaust from thereon. If you go to YouTube and look at some videos, you'll see what I mean. For instance, the ATAK's are loud. Plain and simple. Other than adding some resonators to your stock piping, you're not going to do much else to it besides amplify the sound exponentially.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Shorties are gonna give you a deep throaty sound through the revs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whwf...=youtube_gdata

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013
PONY Member

Will shorties increase the rasp? I'm going to add resonators eventually to help reduce the Roush rasp. If shorties can deepen the tone even more I may go that route in addition to resonators.

Also, I thought ceramic was better than stainless? I could be backwards
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoTheKing View Post
Will shorties increase the rasp? I'm going to add resonators eventually to help reduce the Roush rasp. If shorties can deepen the tone even more I may go that route in addition to resonators.

Also, I thought ceramic was better than stainless? I could be backwards
From all accounts, shorties seem to reduce rasp and deepen the tone.

Ceramic is better than chrome, but stainless will not rust like a ceramic or chrome coated/ plated mild steel header.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page