Header Install for Shorties - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Header Install for Shorties

I'm in the DFW metroplex area. Frisco to be exact.
I've called two different shops about prices to install headers and they were very high. 400$ and 450$. I'm hoping to stay right around 150-200$ price range. Where can I go if you are in my neck of the woods. I haven't purchased the headers yet, but the install price will determine if I purchase them at all.

Thanks,

Chad

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
PONY Member

You can do it in your driveway for free and just a few short hours. Its a very easy install.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

are you volunteering to help out
A few short hours for someone savvy will turn into 10 hours for someone who is not so savvy with the wrench on a car.

Cobb Access Port
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
PONY Member

If you want to buy my gas and some pizza and beers ill help out. Lol. If you have some tools, a jack and some stands.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
Banned

You'll also need extensions. No way anyone I know could get a socket wrench up in there.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
Apprentice

Took me 6 hours by myself and my car knowledge consists of axle back/CAI/Headers(this was my first time)/Breaks/Tune. Basically it is very simple. Take 12 bolts out loosen mid pipe swap headers put 12 bolts in. There are some very tight spots on both sides that will require 40 min to put in 1 bolt (anyone who did shorties knows what pos bolt this is). Long as you have patience, jack stands, basic socket set, and about 2 ft in extensions should be fine.

Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Competition Quad Tip Axle Back, 93R Bama Tuning, 3.31 Gears, PP
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I have a jack that works, it's nothing fancy, but it will get up under and jack it up, I have two stands again nothing fancy, but they can hold the front end up. I used it to put my new wheels/tires on when they were new a few years back and also put in my short throw shifter. That's about the extent of my car technical experience besides the stuff just about anyone can do.

I have a manual torque wrench that does work and a 10 inch extension with plenty of average sockets that would do the job. It's more doubt than anything else and if I run into issues half way into it I don't want to have to figure out what to do then haha.

Beer/Pizza shoot man that'd be easy to obtain and devour. I'd have to get on the calendar for when you were not busy and when I was not busy to do the install though. My drive way is not flat so it'd be done in the garage.

Cobb Access Port
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
PONY Member

Pm me and we'll set it up.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

13mm ratcheting wrench and you will fly thru installation.you wont be able to torque a couple of the bolts but you get a good feel with the ones you do and just use the ratcheting wrench to tighten the problem bolts.took me less than 4 hours by myself and 30 min of that was getting the car on and off the jack stands.the hardest bolt to put in for me was the water tube one.i must of dropped it 3 or 4 times and had to crawl under the car to get it.

Base performance package:1/4 window louvers,k&n drop in filter,barton shifter,3:73 ford racing gears and diff cover,royal purple gear oil,spohn del sphere uca and mounting bracket.red & black leather seats.20%tint BBK Shorty Headers. tokico d spec adjustable shocks and struts, boss rear seat delete (red) future mods:driveshaft safety loop,clutch and flywheel
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Any specialty tools out there that might help? I know there are truckloads of weird Craftsman tools out there: ratcheting box-end wrenches, circular palm ratchets, jointed extensions, and all kinds of other things that make these seem basic. Or does the space restrict us to basics?
PONY Member

It's also a lot easier on the right side if you remove the battery. Makes it almost as easy as the left side.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

swivel and ratcheting 13mm box end wrench is the only special tools i used

Base performance package:1/4 window louvers,k&n drop in filter,barton shifter,3:73 ford racing gears and diff cover,royal purple gear oil,spohn del sphere uca and mounting bracket.red & black leather seats.20%tint BBK Shorty Headers. tokico d spec adjustable shocks and struts, boss rear seat delete (red) future mods:driveshaft safety loop,clutch and flywheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page