Gear swap on 2011? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Gear swap on 2011?

Just wondering if I should be concerned about having my rear gears swapped after 35K miles on 2.73's? Is there any reason to avoid drivetrain mods due to mileage?
Also, does anyone know of a good gear shop in Central Illinois?
Thanks

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

There is no reason to worry about modding your drivetrain because of mileage. You'll be upgrading a higher mileage part for a 0 mile part. I did gears at around 30000 miles and a new driveshaft at about 43000 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

BBK CAI, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers,SLP Hi-Flow Cats, Pypes X pipe and Violators, Shaftmaster's 3.5" DS, 4.10's w/ T-Lok, 93 R tune by BAMA, Diablosport Trinity Tuner, PATC 3000 RPM Stall Converter, Zex Nitrous 100 shot
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
Rookie

I just changed out 2.73 for 3.31 on 2012 with 15k miles
car drive a lot better , had it done in south WI.
Kenosha

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
BBBad65

Nope you don't have to worry. A "lower" gear doesn't need any upgrades in terms of drive terrain. Just swapped out 3.73s for my now 4.11s (teeth were worn). And even that little bit made a huge difference in my acceleration. No doubt you'll love the upgrade.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

just to be sure... I also have to get the "rear gear pinion bearing" for 11-14 V6, in addition to the install kit, Right?

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

I got mine done at 30,000 miles and the installer said I didn't need anything extra. Only if I had like 100,000 miles would he need the additional kit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

im pretty sure he kit that I got came with that. The install kit on AM comes with a high torque GT500 pinion bearing

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-8...it-8614v8.html

BBK CAI, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers,SLP Hi-Flow Cats, Pypes X pipe and Violators, Shaftmaster's 3.5" DS, 4.10's w/ T-Lok, 93 R tune by BAMA, Diablosport Trinity Tuner, PATC 3000 RPM Stall Converter, Zex Nitrous 100 shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gears , mileage , problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page