Upgrading panhard bar without lowered suspension? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Upgrading panhard bar without lowered suspension?

I want to start by saying that I like the stock ride height of my 2013 V6 PP and have no plans to lower the car, typically why you would upgrade to an adjustable panhard bar to re center the rear end. While I want to upgrade to adjustable dampers for better handling and ride quality, that's somewhat pricey and I am looking at some other upgrades in the near future. I read on product descriptions that one of these will improve handling and help put power down by reducing lateral movement in the rear end.

I suppose I am trying to figure out how replacing one big rod with bushings on each end link with another rod will be better. Is it all in the bushing stiffness or does the stock bar just flex a lot due to thd type of steel used?

Will this help settle the rear end down going over rough/bumpy pavement?

For a little over $100, at least it is cheap. I'm replacing my driveshaft soon, so what's another $100 when I am already going to have the car on a lift for that? Thanks

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

If you are not lowering then there is no real reason to get an adjustable panhandler bar. The only benefit would be the stiffer bushings, but that will be a minimal change and not worth the cost. Your money will be better spent elsewhere. Some folks get an adjustable bar with stock height just to get the axle alignment perfect still though. The axle is a bit bit offset from the factory.

2013 Red Candy Metallic GT Premium Coupe
Black Leather, 6MT, Comfort Package, Brembo Package, 3.55 Axle
Borla Touring axle back, Suntec CXP 45% window tint, Eibach Pro-Kit, Steeda Strut Mounts, Rear Upper Control Arm and Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets, Energy Suspension Shifter Bushing
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I could see getting an adjustable panhard to make certain the rear axle is centered correctly, lowered or not. It may very well be off center even stone stock.

And the better bushings are also worth something, even for the panhard.

I have one for my car even though I won't be lowering it any time soon.

As you have noted, it is a pretty inexpensive and easy to install mod.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

The majority of the gt guys here, not sure with v6 but I would imaging the same, will tell you that our rear axles weren't centered from the factory. Its pretty easy to tell when you're breaking loose.

That said, I would say go for it. You dont have anything to lose. Maybe some increased nvh. Plus the oem one doubles as a rain stick.

2013 5.0 - Deep Impact Blue
Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts
TWS CCW: 2:03.02
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
5POINTO

Worth it for sure.

Centers axle (they all are off center stock).
Will help lateral handling.
Helps launching.
Looks better.
Easy to install.
Pretty cheap.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
Apprentice

The axle is not centered with the factory panhard bar. If you want it centered then you need one.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Why did this thread get moved to V6 tech?

The subject is applicable to all models.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
5POINTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Why did this thread get moved to V6 tech?

The subject is applicable to all models.
It's tech, and the owner has a V6. Like we have said before, talk is just for basic non tech related topics.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Mine was off almost a 1/2 inch side to side from the factory so I added one and got it centered as it should have been in the first place.
You also get less deflection from the firmer aftermarket bushings...

I also added the brace as the stock brace is light stamped steel that is not very strong at all... This is basically the same thing as a strut tower brace for your rear undercarriage.

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
It's tech, and the owner has a V6. Like we have said before, talk is just for basic non tech related topics.
So Mods, where do we put a Tech question that is Mustang generic?
Do we just change our names/signature blocks so that they don't get moved? Why are we still doing all this sillyness with the moving and combining of threads?

OP do the panhard rod and make sure you measure your wheel stance and adjust it correctly as per the instructions. You'll probably see a difference.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
That's just silly, when the question applies to both V6 and GT it should be in a general forum.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade for the money.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page