MPG Hit With Wider Tires - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

MPG Hit With Wider Tires

For those of you who have upgraded to wider tires on your V6, how much of a mile per gallon hit did you take?

Originally I had 225-wide Goodyear Radial T/A (all season) tires and now use 255-wide Bridgestone Potenza (all-season) tires. The offset of the new rims also seems to push the tires out into the slipstream a bit too. I went from a typical commuting average of 27 down to 24 at best. I've played around with tire pressures a bit, and haven't noticed a change.

My commute is pretty short, but I'm just wondering what other peoples experiences are in case this isn't normal.

Love the new look though!

2011 V6 Base Grabber Blue GBMR #082
DG Custom Side Mirrors, Tri-bar Fender Emblems, MCA Grille, Magnaflow Street Axleback, Strut Tower Brace, AM GT500 Wheels, Bama Tuned 93Race
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

Wheel weight plays a role in that too, especially around town.

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
Apprentice

What does the new combo weigh per corner? City driving and more weight will definitely be noticed.

2013 V6 6MT w/ tech pkg | Steeda Intake | MPT Tune | Barton Shifter | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

None. My 18x10's are about the same weight as my stock 17's. It's all about the weight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

2012 Black V6 Coupe Auto 2.73
BAMA 93+ Race Tune, Magnaflow Comps, 3370lbs
SVT Drift 18", Nitto NT555
13.7 @100mph
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

It actually depends on the tires. When I had NT05s I have a mpg hit of around 2 or 3.

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I only casually looked at the weights when ordering my wheels and tires. They looked close so I didn't give it much thought. On closer look it looks like each wheel/tire combo is about 2.5lbs heavier than the stock setup. I guess that adds up! I'm sure the wider contact patch and slightly stickier "performance" tires add to it as well.

DG Custom Side Mirrors, Tri-bar Fender Emblems, MCA Grille, Magnaflow Street Axleback, Strut Tower Brace, AM GT500 Wheels, Bama Tuned 93Race
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
Apprentice

Mine dropped about 1.5 mpg on the highway when I went from stock tires to max performance summer tires with wider width.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

I lost about half an mpg going from 225 to 275.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
Rookie

weight definitely seems like as much or more of a factor than width. i went from the stock v6 wheels/tires to gt wheels/tires. could easily tell weight difference by simply picking them up. only 225 to 235, but the added weight meant about 2-3 less mpg. i get 23-24 now in 50/50 mixed driving. can flirt with 30 going 60 mph.

2013 V6 MT Sterling Grey - 3.31 gears, JLT Intake, Boss Strut Brace, GT Wheels, Infinity Reference 6x8s, Rockford Fosgate P300-10
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVenture View Post
For those of you who have upgraded to wider tires on your V6, how much of a mile per gallon hit did you take?

Originally I had 225-wide Goodyear Radial T/A (all season) tires and now use 255-wide Bridgestone Potenza (all-season) tires. The offset of the new rims also seems to push the tires out into the slipstream a bit too. I went from a typical commuting average of 27 down to 24 at best. I've played around with tire pressures a bit, and haven't noticed a change.

My commute is pretty short, but I'm just wondering what other peoples experiences are in case this isn't normal.
Did you get a new tune to adjust the speedometer for the shorter tire diameter?

If not then you really don't know what the fuel economy hit was because the speedometer is off and giving false readings to the pcm making the mileage readout incorrect as well as the odometer meaning you can't even calculate the mileage correctly either.

This is going to be the biggest reason you are getting so much lower of a mpg number.

Fix that and I bet the mileage hit will be no more than 1/2 a mile per gallon.
_

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Did you get a new tune to adjust the speedometer for the shorter tire diameter?
_
Yup! My BAMA tune is adjusted for the new tires.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVenture View Post
Yup! My BAMA tune is adjusted for the new tires.
Well, you must be driving it differently then(enjoying it too much), even if you don't realize it, to be losing 3 mpg.

When you changed the tune for the shorter tire, did you use the revolutions per mile setting in the tuner or what?

11Red3.7

Weight is a performance and MPG killer, specially rotating mass.
I ditched the 235 A/S Pirellis for 255 General G-MAX A/S tires, performs way better than stock, my gas mileage is the same to slightly better. Love these tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page