air intake recommendations please - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOden View Post
Haha!^^^

Moaner versus Screamer? Screamer all the way baby.
This thread is now officially rated R.

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
This has never been discussed before, hmmm...
All the fastest 3.7 NA cars in the 1/4 mile run the JLT CAI. Look it up on the sticky, the top 6 NA stangs are JLT. Even though Airaid has better marketing and sold 10 times as many, the good serious racers prefer the JLT.
The airaid does moan a lot, and apparently some guys like that lol. Moan vs. Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang No.7 View Post
The video is a post from another forum, it is not my vehicle. I found it when I was looking for some unbiased dyno results for the Airaid CAI since many posters on this forum discount the ability of a CAI to make improvements w/o a tune. According to the video that Mustang saw significant improvement with only the addition of an Airaid CAI. The additional link to a post on this forum shows the results of a dyno run for my vehicle and the numbers were pretty close to the vehicle in the video and they were achieved with no tune on 87 grade pump gas and the installation of an Airaid CAI.

IIRC, the JLT does require a tune and perhaps the reason that JLT's are on most of the top 1/4 mile performers is that most of those owners have either made their mods post warranty expiration or have decided that performance trumps warranty coverage. At any rate, there are many other mods made to those cars than just a CAI and there is almost always a tune involved. I believe that the Airaid is a worthy alternative for someone who is interested in preserving their warranty and wants to avoid the addition of a tune which may or may not cause warranty issues depending on the dealer utilized for service.
The JLT CAI for the 3.7 V6 doesn't require a tune.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the correction Z. I was just working from my recollection of research I did when making my purchase. At the time it seemed like Airaid was the only one not requiring a tune.

As far as the JLT vs Airaid and the top performers in the qtr, I checked the list and found that in addition to having a JLT CAI, almost all the top four or five had headers, 3.73 gears, tunes, and assorted other mods that would improve times. Perhaps the JLT is a better option, but until someone with an Airaid plus the other noted mods makes a pass, I can't say that is a definite. I doubt I'll be the guy to do it, finances don't allow me to put that kind of money into the car at the moment, but I sure do admire you guys who carry the 3.7 Mustang banner for the rest of us. Thanks!

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI

SHELBY GT 350 Member

my .02 is first of all I doubt the CAI alone gives any real horsepower, when you buy one be aware some need a tune. This tune (not a CAI) MAY void a good bit of your wtty. The reason I bought a CAI (no tune) was for the sound I'm happy with my Airaid but I bought it used. The best one is one scored used since you can get them in the classified for $150-200!

Enjoy it but once you've started making the car yours it can get expensive

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

Exclamation Here's a list I compiled of known CAI's and their status.

CARB Exemp (Calif. Legal) CAI: Which Ones?

The only one that requires a tune out of the box for the V6 is the Steeda CAI.

2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB | Airaid CAI | SR Performance STB | JLT Oil Separator
MPT Tuned | SCT X4 | MMD Classic Louvers | Roush Upper & Lower Grilles
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang No.7 View Post
Thanks for the correction Z. I was just working from my recollection of research I did when making my purchase. At the time it seemed like Airaid was the only one not requiring a tune.

As far as the JLT vs Airaid and the top performers in the qtr, I checked the list and found that in addition to having a JLT CAI, almost all the top four or five had headers, 3.73 gears, tunes, and assorted other mods that would improve times. Perhaps the JLT is a better option, but until someone with an Airaid plus the other noted mods makes a pass, I can't say that is a definite. I doubt I'll be the guy to do it, finances don't allow me to put that kind of money into the car at the moment, but I sure do admire you guys who carry the 3.7 Mustang banner for the rest of us. Thanks!
No problem!!

I used to run a C&L CAI on my car, but switched the JLT at the end of last year. I really like the looks of the color matched JLT.

BTW, Smokin' Stanley runs an Airaid on his car.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
my .02 is first of all I doubt the CAI alone gives any real horsepower, when you buy one be aware some need a tune. This tune (not a CAI) MAY void a good bit of your wtty. The reason I bought a CAI (no tune) was for the sound I'm happy with my Airaid but I bought it used. The best one is one scored used since you can get them in the classified for $150-200!

Enjoy it but once you've started making the car yours it can get expensive
It will give power at higher RPMS where the larger cone filter will allow better airflow. The tune gives better power throughout the band, not just the higher rpms, and it will also smooth it out quite a bit. American muscle has a comparison video Stock, Just CAI, Just Tuner, and both with results. Doubt no more!
PONY Member

JLT here. No issues, fit/finish were excellent, zero complaints.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
Rookie

I'd go with JLT. I spoke with a guy at AM, I called asking about the Steeda. He said they had gotten better numbers with the JLT. Now, a business is about making money so when a guy at a business tries to sell you on a product that's two hundred fewer dollars, there has to be a reason.
I say also JLT because the front of the S&B filters they use is open and has a little witch's hat instead of a cap on it like you see on Airad, Roush, BBK, or C&L.
Of the four mentioned above, with the exception of BBK, the JLT tube is straighter.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
I'd go with JLT. I spoke with a guy at AM, I called asking about the Steeda. He said they had gotten better numbers with the JLT. Now, a business is about making money so when a guy at a business tries to sell you on a product that's two hundred fewer dollars, there has to be a reason.
I say also JLT because the front of the S&B filters they use is open and has a little witch's hat instead of a cap on it like you see on Airad, Roush, BBK, or C&L.
Of the four mentioned above, with the exception of BBK, the JLT tube is straighter.
I'm not defending anyone... I have sold parts for over 20+ years, unfortunately we do not do high performance stuff, only stock O.E. replacement.

As far as AM steering you away from Steeda to the JLT it could just be personal preference.
AM sells the Steeda CAI for the same price that Steeda sells it for, at least for my 11 manual GT. so the price may be "fixed" by Steeda, similar to what Apple does with their products.

I personally like selling less expensive parts, I put more money in my pocket.
I can take a part that is $200 and mark it up more than I can with a $400 part. Just for example.

I'm not sure, but I doubt AM makes as much money on the Steeda CAI vs the JLT - money in the pocket = profit. Something to think about, if this matters to you.

As far as better numbers with the JLT, sure it is very possible. How much of it is the CAI and how much of it is the Tune that they use? I bet Steeda would get better numbers with their CAI and their tune, then if they did JLT CAI with their tune. Bama may just have more "practice" / larger database with the JLT then with the Steeda. The JLT being less expensive may be the preferred unit to go on their cars for the dyno pulls, maybe the get X amount of freebies from JLT to do this with.

Personally, I feel they are both good units, the key is getting the best tune to coexist with the CAI you are choosing, and the other mods you have and are planning to do.

I haven't installed a CAI yet on my car as I'm still trying to decide what I eventually want to do with the car, NA, SC, etc... I am planning my builds out as much as possible - I hate to redo stuff and waste money having to redo something.

2011 GT Premium, 400A, MT, Black with Stone interior
My Mods So Far (in order): VA Legal Tint, Polk DB571 Speakers - Front & Rear, Third brake light pulser, MMD Classic Louvers, GT500 AB, Bondra Performance EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension, resonators cut out - do this!, Steeda shorty black antenna.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
I agree with you about the JLT. The downsides to the Steeda are the price ($389) and if I have to take the car in for service at the dealer under warranty, I would have to remove the tune back to stock which means I would also have to remove the Steeda CAI because it requires the tune I just removed. Dang!

2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB | Airaid CAI | SR Performance STB | JLT Oil Separator
MPT Tuned | SCT X4 | MMD Classic Louvers | Roush Upper & Lower Grilles
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
Site Sponsor

I say it all the time, but Airaid, JLT, and Steeda seem to have unmatched quality and performance gains. Can't go wrong with any of these brands. Especially when paired with a custom tune to see their max performance!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Our cold air intake will show the highest gains, it has a larger than factory MAF housing so it will flow more air and make more power, but it does require a tune.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
GT Member

Oh look, another CAI thread,

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

PONY Member

When will it ever stop ? When will these folks do their own research and learn to use the idiot proof search feature ? Stop it, Stop it, Your driving me crazy...enough with the CAI's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page