air intake recommendations please - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbago View Post
When will it ever stop ? When will these folks do their own research and learn to use the idiot proof search feature ? Stop it, Stop it, Your driving me crazy...enough with the CAI's
Mods have indicated that there is no harm in asking a question that has been previously asked and answered and asked and answered and asked and answered and....

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
This has never been discussed before, hmmm...
All the fastest 3.7 NA cars in the 1/4 mile run the JLT CAI. Look it up on the sticky, the top 6 NA stangs are JLT. Even though Airaid has better marketing and sold 10 times as many, the good serious racers prefer the JLT.
The airaid does moan a lot, and apparently some guys like that lol. Moan vs. Performance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang No.7 View Post
Mods have indicated that there is no harm in asking a question that has been previously asked and answered and asked and answered and asked and answered and....
Do CAI's help? Which one is better? Should I start a new thread? Maybe I'll put a survey on it so it will get more hits... LOL

Once again, their are probably 10 Airaids for every JLT on V6 Mustangs so why are the 6 fastest NA Mustangs all running JLTs? The difference is most likely pretty small but all the fastest racers choose it for some reason.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28th1s View Post
BTW, Smokin' Stanley runs an Airaid on his car.
Is his best time posted on the list? I would think he would be in the top 4 or 5 NA Mustangs if he was on the list.

Ultimately, I think it will boil down to personal preference and budget. However, I would steer clear of units with no air collection box, i.e. injen, as there is no way to seal off the filter cone from the engine heat, which is massive under the hood of these cars.

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
Do CAI's help? Which one is better? Should I start a new thread? Maybe I'll put a survey on it so it will get more hits... LOL

Once again, their are probably 10 Airaids for every JLT on V6 Mustangs so why are the 6 fastest NA Mustangs all running JLTs? The difference is most likely pretty small but all the fastest racers choose it for some reason.
The JLT has a poor MAF signal and it gives driveability issues, especially in automatics, this is a well known fact to most good tuners now. Why do people run it? Because the school of thought that bigger is always better is still alive and wrong.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
PONY Member

im really loving my AFE Power intake. god it makes my car sounds amazing

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
The JLT has a poor MAF signal and it gives driveability issues, especially in automatics, this is a well known fact to most good tuners now. Why do people run it? Because the school of thought that bigger is always better is still alive and wrong.
Completely not true, just bashing other competitors. My maf data is perfect and I have an automatic. Just make sure your filter cone is at the far end of the tube. I know personally of two people who had bad mass air flow data both were easily fixed and dozens with never a problem. Again OP be careful of hype, because the JLT rep on here can be a real piece of work too. Just look at all the 1/4 mile times and the happy customers.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post

So it's convenient for you to state this about a competitors CAI, but you state this in your comparison of your UCA vs. what is obviously a Whiteline product:

The Brand X product lacks the heavy-duty construction of the Steeda part, with material in some key areas less than 50% of the thickness of the same area on the Steeda part. In the photos below, the Steeda bracket has a dimensional thickness of 6.39mm and the Brand X dimension is a meager 3.21mm with the tremendous forces this part is subjected to, it is only a matter of time before the part will flex, bend, and ultimately have a catastrophic failure when the vehicle launches exceptionally hard or is subjected to the tremendous forces of track and aggressive street driving.

So bigger is better when it's convenient for your marketing department?

Not trying to bash Steeda; I've had your products on my current car, and two previous Fords. Nothing but good things to say about your customer service, etc. But of late you guys seem to be more focused on knocking the competition, and to most consumers, that leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
Apprentice

just got my airaid cai. About to put it in next week. Ill let you know how things go
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazim17 View Post
just got my airaid cai. About to put it in next week. Ill let you know how things go
Same here, great choice. I pick mine up tomorrow and hope to have it installed this weekend.

2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB | Airaid CAI | SR Performance STB | JLT Oil Separator
MPT Tuned | SCT X4 | MMD Classic Louvers | Roush Upper & Lower Grilles
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
PONY Member

I guess I should give a little more detail on why I chose AFE Power over everyone else (and yes, I do have a sponsorhip so full disclosure. but keep in mind, I had 3 other intake sponsorships lined up I turned down for AFE).

heres my intake..

Theres a few reasons why these guys impressed me so much.

1) not that most of you would care, but theyre a socal tuner. we invented the automotive aftermarket here in socal at the end of WWII. I take a lot of pride in that fact.

2) AFE is owned by former K&N Engineers (hence why theyre just down the freeway from K&N

3) They make everything in house in Corona, CA

4) They are the only company to use 5 different weaves of filter material for better flow and filtering. Let me explain what that means. Most filters are gauze. Most companies just buy huge rolls in bulk, stack them, cut them, press them into a wire frame, and then seal the ends with rubber. AFE uses 5 DIFFERENT weaves. the outer most layer is the loosest, progressively getting tighter and tighter with each layer. this flows better, it also filters better, they also test their filters in house and if you saw the machine (I wish I had taken a picture) of the machine that they use to test filtering youd be shocked. its like a tornado machine that just blows dirt all over the filter and it has a measurement machine inside that has a sensor that gauges how many dirt particles got through.

5) the filter wire is always rolled, never bent to make the "zig zags". They have a machine for that too, its pretty crazy the attention to detail they have.

6) they offer both oiled and dry filters. but their oiled filters are best and they spent a fortune developing a different oil for their purposes. my tour guide mentioned that reformulation was one of the reasons the founders that started the company left K&N in the first place.

7) they have 2 dynos to test performance results. A mustang dyno and a dynojet. when you read their hp claims, you know they get them, because each filter is tested on both dynos no less than 20 runs throwing the high and low runs out. if anything, they under rate them.

8) more than 60% of the company is in product development and each degreed engineer has no less than 2 technicians at his disposal

9) the end cap seals for their filters are urethane, not rubber. more resistant to heat, and seals better. its not the cheapest way to do it, but it is the best

10) they have years of experience cranking out high quality filters. they used to build all of TRD's filters

I could probably think of more reasons, but I think that's enough off the top of my head. I really believe in what they are doing over there. Theres a reason the BMW m series guys rave about their filters. its because they are, in my humble opinion, simply the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HtdOEQ4[1].jpg
Views:	63
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	276657   Click image for larger version

Name:	AKLfMNz[1].jpg
Views:	64
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	276665   Click image for larger version

Name:	4epD8eU[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	276673   Click image for larger version

Name:	6Qyli87[1].jpg
Views:	51
Size:	498.5 KB
ID:	276681   Click image for larger version

Name:	gSAT80N[1].jpg
Views:	46
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	276689  

Name:	JBiOLiL[1].jpg
Views:	39
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	276697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt8KtlD[1].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	276705  

Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Apprentice

AFE Cold Air Intake System
Stage-2 Magnum FORCE Stage-2 PRO DRY S Intake System;
Ford Mustang 11-13 V6-3.7L
51-12102-P
$351.75

Just an FYI, I paid $255 for my Airaid. I'm sure the AFE filter is better and I may swap mine out for an AFE filter at a later date. We'll see. Thanks for the great info on the AFE filter. I was just concerned about the heat soak on the AFE CAI metal tube. I had that problem with my AEM CAI on my Mazda6. I couldn't touch the CAI for an hour, it got so hot. Not sure if that's good for a cold air intake. Not bashing, total respect, just my 2 cents

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrix View Post
I guess I should give a little more detail on why I chose AFE Power over everyone else (and yes, I do have a sponsorhip so full disclosure. but keep in mind, I had 3 other intake sponsorships lined up I turned down for AFE).

heres my intake..

Theres a few reasons why these guys impressed me so much.

1) not that most of you would care, but theyre a socal tuner. we invented the automotive aftermarket here in socal at the end of WWII. I take a lot of pride in that fact.

2) AFE is owned by former K&N Engineers (hence why theyre just down the freeway from K&N

3) They make everything in house in Corona, CA

4) They are the only company to use 5 different weaves of filter material for better flow and filtering. Let me explain what that means. Most filters are gauze. Most companies just buy huge rolls in bulk, stack them, cut them, press them into a wire frame, and then seal the ends with rubber. AFE uses 5 DIFFERENT weaves. the outer most layer is the loosest, progressively getting tighter and tighter with each layer. this flows better, it also filters better, they also test their filters in house and if you saw the machine (I wish I had taken a picture) of the machine that they use to test filtering youd be shocked. its like a tornado machine that just blows dirt all over the filter and it has a measurement machine inside that has a sensor that gauges how many dirt particles got through.

5) the filter wire is always rolled, never bent to make the "zig zags". They have a machine for that too, its pretty crazy the attention to detail they have.

6) they offer both oiled and dry filters. but their oiled filters are best and they spent a fortune developing a different oil for their purposes. my tour guide mentioned that reformulation was one of the reasons the founders that started the company left K&N in the first place.

7) they have 2 dynos to test performance results. A mustang dyno and a dynojet. when you read their hp claims, you know they get them, because each filter is tested on both dynos no less than 20 runs throwing the high and low runs out. if anything, they under rate them.

8) more than 60% of the company is in product development and each degreed engineer has no less than 2 technicians at his disposal

9) the end cap seals for their filters are urethane, not rubber. more resistant to heat, and seals better. its not the cheapest way to do it, but it is the best

10) they have years of experience cranking out high quality filters. they used to build all of TRD's filters

I could probably think of more reasons, but I think that's enough off the top of my head. I really believe in what they are doing over there. Theres a reason the BMW m series guys rave about their filters. its because they are, in my humble opinion, simply the best.
Great post Cerebrix. If I didn't already have an Airaid I would probably buy that intake. I've been on a kick or trying to support whatever products are made here in the USA that aren't prohibitively expensive on my very modest budget. That tubing looks like it would provide more intake burble than my Airaid, and the Airaid was a pain to wedge in there which may be an issue some point down the road.

Stupid question though; why use metal tubing in a (very) hot engine bay when plastic is a much worse thermal conductor?

2012 Base 3.7 Race Red: Airaid Intake. Ford Racing 3.73 Gears. Dynomax 39507 Catback Exhaust. Bama 93rV2 Tune. BBK Short Headers. 6 speed retro shift knob.

Wheels/tires: Enkei Raijin 18x8. Sumitomo 235/50/18 HTR A/S P01
Apprentice

+^ Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Here's a quote from JTL's site about using a metal tube:

"NEW TUBE DESIGN - The new JLT tube is roto molded ABS plastic to resist engine heat and keep the intake air charge nice and cool. NO METAL TUBING HERE!!"

This is one of the main reasons I went with a CAI with a plastic tube.

In the end, you should just get what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Hell, it's your Mustang, enjoy it

Put the pedal to the metal, baby!

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrickland1988 View Post
Great post Cerebrix. If I didn't already have an Airaid I would probably buy that intake. I've been on a kick or trying to support whatever products are made here in the USA that aren't prohibitively expensive on my very modest budget. That tubing looks like it would provide more intake burble than my Airaid, and the Airaid was a pain to wedge in there which may be an issue some point down the road.

Stupid question though; why use metal tubing in a (very) hot engine bay when plastic is a much worse thermal conductor?
the ait's while running are the same. air charge cools the intake down to on average 1 degree below ambient (so with margin for error ambient), within a minute or so.

lets be honest, more than anything else, over the stock intake they are noisemakers. and to my ears, my car sounds better with the metal tube vs the roto molded tube I tried when I put an airraid on my car.

PONY Member

also, they make a drop in filter for the stock intake that's pretty awesome as well

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E1uczIo.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	510.4 KB
ID:	276945  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page