air intake recommendations please - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

air intake recommendations please

Looking to upgrade my air intake... what's the best or most popular to use on a 2013 v6 stang. Thanks

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
Apprentice

Just judging by AM, Airaid is the most popular. But If I had your car I'd try Steeda.

2010 Red Candy GT - So Far: Airaid Race CAI + BAMA Tune, Pypes Violator Axle-backs, Daytime Running Lamp Turn Signal Module, GT/CS Spoiler, Hood Scoop
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
PONY Member

Airaid seems to be the most popular and I have the airaid intake on my mustang and I'm happy with it. They all offer similar gains, I mainly bought my intake for the sound. I drove a mustang with the jlt intake on it and it is louder than the airaid intake but I liked the looks of Airaid more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013
Apprentice

The difference in performance is negligible. Aesthetically I think they are about the same as well. I like the sound of my airaid intake, but haven't heard any others first hand to compare

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback... are the HP gains noticeable? And does the sound add to an upgraded axle back exhaust? Or are they two differant things? Thanks again for the feedback.

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
Apprentice

You likely won't notice any power improvements with the intake alone, try adding a tuner to maximize the performance. However, you will notice better throttle response. I also noticed smoother acceleration on the low end, which is where the CAI will improve HP and torque the most

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
Apprentice

Check out this article from Mustang Monthly, link was on American Muscle's website.
Not sure if it is out of date or not... September 2012... Something may have better results by now.

2011-2013 Mustang GT Cold Air Induction Buyer's Guide - Chilled Coyote - Mustang Monthly Magazine

2011 GT Premium, 400A, MT, Black with Stone interior
My Mods So Far (in order): VA Legal Tint, Polk DB571 Speakers - Front & Rear, Third brake light pulser, MMD Classic Louvers, GT500 AB, Bondra Performance EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension, resonators cut out - do this!, Steeda shorty black antenna.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
Apprentice

Air aid for me, it's nice as a dd but loud at wot. I think I might get the steeds intake soon.

FRPP 3.55 - DSS driveshaft - LMR SVE Drift 19x9.5 - Falken FK452 275/40/19 - Eibach Sportlines - Airaid Intake - Bama Tune
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
Apprentice

Airaid has been great for me.

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Airaid, FTW. Check this out video. And I can verify this via a dyno of my own.

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
Apprentice

Has anyone tried the K&N Cold Air kit yet?

2014 GT Premium, Ruby Red, 6speed, 3:73 gears, 1969 Sportsroof Performance Red.
Apprentice

according to that video your car picked up approximately 20HP and torque with just a CAI??? is that what your saying? First off your stock pull numbers seem very low. Pulls after CAI install seem about right, but other factors must have played a role to gain that much. Were the before and after done on the same day, conditions, car... haha

Last edited by konatown; 09-16-2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: error
11Red3.7

This has never been discussed before, hmmm...
All the fastest 3.7 NA cars in the 1/4 mile run the JLT CAI. Look it up on the sticky, the top 6 NA stangs are JLT. Even though Airaid has better marketing and sold 10 times as many, the good serious racers prefer the JLT.
The airaid does moan a lot, and apparently some guys like that lol. Moan vs. Performance?
JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
All the fastest 3.7 NA cars in the 1/4 mile run the JLT CAI. Look it up on the sticky, the top 6 NA stangs are JLT. Even though Airaid has better marketing and sold 10 times as many, the good serious racers prefer the JLT.
The airaid does moan a lot, and apparently some guys like that lol. Moan vs. Performance?
Haha!^^^

Moaner versus Screamer? Screamer all the way baby.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konatown View Post
according to that video your car picked up approximately 20HP and torque with just a CAI??? is that what your saying? First off your stock pull numbers seem very low. Pulls after CAI install seem about right, but other factors must have played a role to gain that much. Were the before and after done on the same day, conditions, car... haha
The video is a post from another forum, it is not my vehicle. I found it when I was looking for some unbiased dyno results for the Airaid CAI since many posters on this forum discount the ability of a CAI to make improvements w/o a tune. According to the video that Mustang saw significant improvement with only the addition of an Airaid CAI. The additional link to a post on this forum shows the results of a dyno run for my vehicle and the numbers were pretty close to the vehicle in the video and they were achieved with no tune on 87 grade pump gas and the installation of an Airaid CAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
IIRC, the JLT does require a tune and perhaps the reason that JLT's are on most of the top 1/4 mile performers is that most of those owners have either made their mods post warranty expiration or have decided that performance trumps warranty coverage. At any rate, there are many other mods made to those cars than just a CAI and there is almost always a tune involved. I believe that the Airaid is a worthy alternative for someone who is interested in preserving their warranty and wants to avoid the addition of a tune which may or may not cause warranty issues depending on the dealer utilized for service.

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page