Weird engine clicking sound - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Weird engine clicking sound

Any one know what this sound is?

20130914_215424.mp4 - YouTube

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
Apprentice

Many of these 3.7s have ticks. There are literally thousands of posts about it. Look at the top of the v6 2011+ forum for the sticky thread about this issue. Lots of videos of it as well. Start there to see if yours is anything different, but they all sound the same to me. As others will tell you, it is normal and nothing but an annoyance. That being said, I am not a car doctor, so you may want a second opinion.

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Same noise off idle?
In gear?
Under load?

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ticks even in drive with out touching gas, it just started today atleast today is the first time I heard it. Can't hear it under load since exhaust is too loud. Ticks even in neutral. :/ Could it be from my oil change? I just started putting Royal Purple in today.

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
PONY Member

I hate to tell you but, this sound 'is not normal' . Hope its not coming from inside the engine, maybe a pulley or something.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konatown View Post
Many of these 3.7s have ticks. There are literally thousands of posts about it. Look at the top of the v6 2011+ forum for the sticky thread about this issue. Lots of videos of it as well. Start there to see if yours is anything different, but they all sound the same to me. As others will tell you, it is normal and nothing but an annoyance. That being said, I am not a car doctor, so you may want a second opinion.
this isnt the same kind of tick as those threads. this sounds alot worse and not as consistent.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I looked into that thread and didn't hear any video that sounded like mine. So far I haven't heard it again I'm so paranoid now that at any slight noise I hear I turn off the radio and just listen for like 5 mins.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That does not sound good. It seems like it could be Coming from inside the engine because of the inconsistency of it.

I'm not sure what it could be. Any symptoms like loss of power?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013
JeffOden

I had the cold engine tick TSB done and that does not sound even similar.
To me it sounds more like an accessory belt noise. Was your A/C compressor on? Any other symptoms?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOden View Post
I had the cold engine tick TSB done and that does not sound even similar.
To me it sounds more like an accessory belt noise. Was your A/C compressor on? Any other symptoms?
If the ticking sound isn't the TSB sound then i think it might be a bad 'belt tensioner' or 'bad bearings' in the alternator.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
PONY Member

I must add: I would remove the engine drivebelt (accessory belt) and start your engine. If you still hear the tick sound, you have something gone bad in your engine

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

No signs of loss of power so far. It was really weird, I went out to go visit my girlfriend and the car was off for maybe 2 hrs, start my car up drive home no sounds no problems, then when I get home (about 5-10 mins drive) as I'm pulling into the garage I heard it from within the car. I stopped and put the car into neutral still heard it so I put the car in park opened the hood and got out and heard it from under the hood and took a video of it. I shut the car off after and started it up again and listened and didn't hear it again atleast at that moment. Since then I think I heard it once under load but I'm not sure. Hard to hear thanks to the exhaust >.<. After that I haven't heard it since.

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnxboyxjoe View Post
Any one know what this sound is?
Hello krnxboyxjoe,

You should bring it in to your dealer and get that noise checked out. Your Service Manager is in the best position to let you know if there is work needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.).

Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Rookie

I had a similar issue that went away after the belt was removed. Ford changed pulleys and crank damper and water pump and sound would come back. They did remove the motor and replace with a new one. Maybe they have the information now as to what the cause and repairs are. It's been about 6 months. Take it to the dealer , ford will take care of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Got the sound again tonight..... I have made more videos hopefully the shop will accept listening to the videos if we cannot recreate the sound. I got an appt on Saturday morning, we shall see how things work out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page