question about gears - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Site Sponsor

OP,

I think what you're looking for is just plain more power from your Mustang. As other side, the 3.73 gearing will only help you up top before the engine doesn't have enough power to fight wind resistance. So, improving engine power will help over come the resistance of outside elements and accelerate your Mustang quicker and higher speeds.

I do agree with what MustangInTexas said too. What gear are you accelerating in at 80mph?

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I would guess but I'm not sure. I pretty much just floor it and when I get to the otherside of 80 it seems like the power fades away a lil

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remyvass View Post
I would guess but I'm not sure. I pretty much just floor it and when I get to the otherside of 80 it seems like the power fades away a lil
It's not downshifting enough then, if at all. A tune adjustment would probably help a lot.

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jlawrence613
OP you need a tune adjustment as suggested. Auto with 3.73 gears is in 3rd gear easily up until 100mph. 4th gear (100+ mph) is where the car should "feel" weaker in comparison to the other gears.

I watch my spedometer running down the 1/4 at the end of each pass, because unfortunately, I have a 4th gear shift just before the trap. I finish in 4th gear at 102mph

Grabber Blue 2011 V6 Premium A6 Coupe Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, BBK Longtube Headers w/ O/R Xpipe, Steeda CAI, Dynomax 2.5" Ultra Flo Catback, Boss302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 '10 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555 Next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Al Driveshaft, . Styling: 15% Tint, Black Spoiler, Decklid Panel, & Grille Surround. Chin Spoiler, Hood Spears

Best to Date - 13.212 @ 105.79 - Uncorrected
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Another thing the tune "can" get you is the ability to disable the 115 speed limiter that you can't power past regardless of gearing or anything else.
Though you might want to think seriously about replacing your drive shaft and make sure that you double check your tires speed raitings before you even think about attempting any real high speed runs.

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page