question about gears - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

question about gears

I looked aroaround but could not find this answer. So I figured best to ask.
have 3.73 on a 2013 v6 automatic. Love the off the line power.
No plans to supercharge or turbo.
My question is which gears would have given me a nice acceleration plus top end speeds.
With these 3.73s i také off rok about 80. If im in a race going ocet 80 i lidé the upperhand.which gears are great on both ends?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013
PONY Member

Huh? 3.73s are good for well over 200mph, the car isn't capable of going that fast due to drag.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP .What you have is about the best gear for all around acceleration vs top end performance. It just isn't going to get any better. IMO anyways.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

To me it just feels like its great from 0 to about 80. Then all the power slowly fades as I get higher and higher in speed. But I hear stock 2. 73 sucks in acceleration but once it gets going it really moves. I even herd in a long distance race or a race from a roll the 2.73s come out on top.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remyvass View Post
To me it just feels like its great from 0 to about 80. Then all the power slowly fades as I get higher and higher in speed. But I hear stock 2. 73 sucks in acceleration but once it gets going it really moves. I even herd in a long distance race or a race from a roll the 2.73s come out on top.
Not true at all. The reason the power slowly fades as you reach triple digits speeds is not because of your gears. It's because of your v6. haha after triple digits its about burning as much gas as you can to overcome wind resistance. that's where displacement is needed to keep the car accelerating hard. you can do tricks like turbos and prochargers, gears and exhaust mods, but after 100 mph its about how much gas you can burn per second to overcome the wind resistance that is increasing exponentially.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wow looks like I been misled
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Not true at all. The reason the power slowly fades as you reach triple digits speeds is not because of your gears. It's because of your v6. haha after triple digits its about burning as much gas as you can to overcome wind resistance. that's where displacement is needed to keep the car accelerating hard. you can do tricks like turbos and prochargers, gears and exhaust mods, but after 100 mph its about how much gas you can burn per second to overcome the wind resistance that is increasing exponentially.
Sorry dude, but that is totally wrong.

The 2011+ Mustang V6 has plenty of power to top 150.

With an automatic though, the better mod than 3.73's would have been a high stall torque converter, then the 2.73's would allow top speed in third gear.

To the OP, what tune are you using to adjust for the 3.73's???
_

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Sorry dude, but that is totally wrong.

The 2011+ Mustang V6 has plenty of power to top 150.

With an automatic though, the better mod than 3.73's would have been a high stall torque converter, then the 2.73's would allow top speed in third gear.

To the OP, what tune are you using to adjust for the 3.73's???
_
I'm not saying it can't hit 150... im sure it can considering how mine felt at 140. Not once did I say that it cant reach those speeds.

For it to accelerate quickly from 80-140 like it accelerates from 0-80 it needs a bigger displacement engine is what I was saying. While the best part of the v6 is 0-80 acceleration the bigger displacement engines are just starting to hit their stride and accelerate hard from 80 and up.

I've done many races with big v8s at Irwindale and beat them all. Of course the other 1/8 mile is when they begin to pull. That's what I was getting at.

A 2.0t gti can hit 150 if given enough space. I'm talking about acceleration. And small displacement engines do not accelerate quickly after triple digit speeds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bama 93 street. I was thinking of going with a race tune
Apprentice

I have an auto with 2.73. It is a little doggie getting off the line but like mentioned on a rolling hit I've out accelerated a hemi.

11 AT 3.7 BBK ceramic LT. ORX w/res. Borla S. BBK TB. Roush CAI. Bama 93R. 2:73 candy red w/black. Saddle int.
14 MT82 3.7 Performance Package GHIG 3.31gear. Stock.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remyvass View Post
I'm wondering if it's your tune because if I'm in 6th may car starts to really take off at 80 and doesn't really start to slow it's acceleration until around 120 but keeps climbing past 140.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_3.7 View Post
huh? 3.73s are good for well over 200mph, the car isn't capable of going that fast due to drag.
^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I've got the stock 2.73s and all I can say is that it accelerates nicely. I hit (without meaning to) 100 getting on the highway one day, trying to pass a line of cars. I then realized I was only in 4th gear. She was still pulling hard and if I had shifted and punched it, I'm sure it would have kept going. 3.73s will limit the top end just because the engine will rev higher at any speed BUT, won't be anywhere near 80. In fact, you won't get to that point. On the other side, if I'm doing 80 in 6th, I have NO real acceleration power at all. OP, what gear are you in when you top at 80?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

4th gear I wanna say. 2.73 gears are the highway gears right? Is that in reference to top end power or mpg
Banned

2.73 are the Standard gears and are found in most V6s, what the old-timers (like me!) used to call highway gears for low noise and high MPG. They suck IMO. The only other factory V6 rear is 3.31, comes with the Performance Package and optional on others. I've had 3.73 installed and absolutely love them on my manual transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page