Caved in and gave Plast Dip a shot - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Caved in and gave Plast Dip a shot

So I bought some 20x10 inch wheels this year for my 2014 mustang. They are a alloy finish and I was really looking for a black or gunmetal style wheel now because im going for a different route with the apperence of my mustang. Needless to say I figured I would spend the 60 bucks and plasti dip my wheels. I mean it peels off so i guess it cant hurt. I think the finish came out ok.

Ill have more pictures after I clean my car.

The finish is a matte black metallic color.

Let me know what you think!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130914_164618.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	268050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130915_103318.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	613.7 KB
ID:	268058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130916_171022.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	631.3 KB
ID:	268066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130916_183329.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	639.2 KB
ID:	268074  

2014 Mustang 3.7 V6
JLT intake
2.5 Catback pipes, vibrant resonators, Maxflow SS mufflers, Flowmaster 4" tips
19x8.5 245/45/19 19x9.5 275/40/19
GT500 oem spoiler
ebay louvers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
PONY Member

I like that you are being different. That's awesome and continue to do that as it gives us ideas.

The look just isn't for me though. Maybe it's just the wheels in general as I may not like them no matter what color they are. Others will have varying opinions as well.

I like the 13 mustang though as black, grabber blue, and sterling grey are my 3 favorite mustang colors.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
Rookie

I think the wheels themselves are ugly, IMHO

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
PONY Member

Welcome to the "Black Wheel Club". I like it. Those wheels have a little curve to them, and have just a little light reflection, which I think is needed with black wheels.

It cost me $220 to have my GTwheels powder coated. That includes having the tires taken off, put back on, and balanced. I took the plunge with powder coating, because I figured, (1) Powder coating is "maintenance free. (2) any moola spent on Plastidip is time and money that I could have put towards Powder coating.

I like my black wheels a whole lot better than I thought I would.

I think your car looks very sharp.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the opinions!!!.I got the wheels and tires mounted and balanced with tpms and hub rings for pretty cheap so If I had the money they wouldnt be my first choice, but they will do for now. I really wanted 19 inch amr's but didnt have the loot. I feel like they kind of look like the stock mustang gt fan blades from a few years ago except for mine are 20's

RodgerJerney- 220 is super cheap to get your wheels powdercoated! Probably would cost me about 100 a wheels for all that.

I forgot to mention that they are only on their for the winter months here in New England. Most likely gonna get rid of them in the spring and upgrade to some lighter weight 19's or 18's

2014 Mustang 3.7 V6
JLT intake
GT500 oem spoiler
ebay louvers
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerJerney View Post
It cost me $220 to have my GTwheels powder coated. That includes having the tires taken off, put back on, and balanced. I took the plunge with powder coating, because I figured, (1) Powder coating is "maintenance free. (2) any moola spent on Plastidip is time and money that I could have put towards Powder coating.
That is a HELL of a deal for powder coating! Did they sand blast the old finish off first?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013
Apprentice

I think that black wheels on a black mustang, don't look good. Thats why I went with charcoal instead. I think grey works better on a black mustang.

2013 GT black M/T, 3DCarbon GT500 spoiler, Barton short throw shifter, Barton two post bracket, 18x8 charcoal AMR wheels.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

I don't care for the wheels in the original color or in black. Nice looking car otherwise!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013
PONY Member

They bead blasted the wheels before powder coating them.

There are advantages to living in a good old small town in Indiana. $220 included what it cost to dismount and remount, and balance the tires.

Like I've said, I've ended up liking the black wheels a lot better than I ever thought I would.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I just noted that these wheels almost look identical to the wheels on the Tire Rack ad that's always posted next to the forum. The wheels aren't my favorite, but I like the color treatment. As someone else said, the metallic element reflects light and creates a "shading" that I'm sure looks interesting when you're rolling.

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I guess the camera on my phone doesnt really take the best pictures but the color of the wheels actually is more of a anthracite color than black. Maybe the shade I was parked in made the wheels look darker but they are more of a metallic gray. I actually agree with most of you that the style of the wheel could be better and now that I actually have looked at tirerack, those are the wheels they had advertised.

2014 Mustang 3.7 V6
JLT intake
GT500 oem spoiler
ebay louvers
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerJerney View Post
They bead blasted the wheels before powder coating them.

There are advantages to living in a good old small town in Indiana. $220 included what it cost to dismount and remount, and balance the tires.

Like I've said, I've ended up liking the black wheels a lot better than I ever thought I would.
Yeah, that's an incredible deal. You can't touch anything close to that here in Jersey.
PONY Member

I've seen The Sopranos. You just have to "know a guy" in Jersey!

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackinn01 View Post
So I bought some 20x10 inch wheels this year for my 2014 mustang. They are a alloy finish and I was really looking for a black or gunmetal style wheel now because im going for a different route with the apperence of my mustang. Needless to say I figured I would spend the 60 bucks and plasti dip my wheels. I mean it peels off so i guess it cant hurt. I think the finish came out ok.

Ill have more pictures after I clean my car.

The finish is a matte black metallic color.

Let me know what you think!!!
$60 to plastidip rims? I did my old jeep wheels with two cans at $5 a pop. How did you spend 60 bucks? They look better in black then the other finish for sure.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

It took about a can, maybe a little more, for each wheel since they were 20 inch and I also had to spray on the inside of the wheel as well.

I i bought 5 cans of matte black and the I also had to buy 2 cans of silver metalizer which are close to 10 dollars a can. So with shipping It was around 60 dollars.

2014 Mustang 3.7 V6
JLT intake
GT500 oem spoiler
ebay louvers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page