Motor Trend tire test w/ V6 mustang - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Seadog

The Camaro won by virtue of a suspension developed for Cadillac. The next Mustang will probably have compatible suspension.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrokid63 View Post
Great video! And the winner is.....
You have to take it for what it's worth. The snake was faster, but the independent rear and magnetic suspension on the Camaro is better hands down. Both are great cars... that 99% of the population can't afford. Now I could post an article comparing the Mustang V6 vs the Camaro V6 vs the older Challenger V6 vs the Hyundai Genesis V6. But if I did this place would explode.

GT Member

Motor trend is terrible end of story lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
You have to take it for what it's worth. The snake was faster, but the independent rear and magnetic suspension on the Camaro is better hands down. Both are great cars... that 99% of the population can't afford. Now I could post an article comparing the Mustang V6 vs the Camaro V6 vs the older Challenger V6 vs the Hyundai Genesis V6. But if I did this place would explode.
Agreed! No disrespect for the Camaro, just the way Motor Trend pulls the rug from under your feet or.....my feet!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Now I am curious

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Now I am curious
It had the numbers, yet still managed to lose to the Genesis... funny, though, I ended up with the mustang because I liked how the numbers 'stacked up'... only thing I wish my pony had in relation to say the camaro, is the transmission paddle shifters on the auto and added adjustability on seats + steering wheel.

2011 3.7L B/B Pony Package:
3D Carbon Wing
Roush Side Splitters and Louvers
OEM GT500 Rear Valance
OEM Pony Decklid
Stillen Chin Spoiler
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Again. Regardless of what the salesmen post at Motor Trend, it is a Mustang. And the best Ford has ever built. If us Mustang owners wanted a Camaro, or a Challenger, or even a Volvo. We would be driving one. Everyday driving experience with a Mustang defines its purpose and credibility. Not some magazine article written by a nimrod, waiting for a pizza to be delivered.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Again, regardless of what the salesmen post at Motor Trend, it is a Mustang. And the best Ford has ever built. If us Mustang owners wanted a Camaro, or a Challenger, or even a Volvo. We would be driving one. Everyday driving experience with a Mustang defines its purpose and credibility. Not some 5 minute magazine article written by a nimrod, who is waiting for a pizza.
This. I always laugh when someone brings up the fact that a Mustang has a live rear axle, Unless your trying to shave 0.01's off your lap time, a properly set up suspension will be great, live rear axle or not, Hell, a Mustang GT with the brembo package will be faster than a BMW M3 around a track.
Seadog

High tech suspension are marvelous, but they add weight, which increases other problems. It is a hard choice to make. A lower price rear end, with less weight, versus a high tech, expensive rear end that adds 2-400 lbs. If Ford develops a IRS that weighs the same, and is indestructible, they will win the game.
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
High tech suspension are marvelous, but they add weight, which increases other problems. It is a hard choice to make. A lower price rear end, with less weight, versus a high tech, expensive rear end that adds 2-400 lbs. If Ford develops a IRS that weighs the same, and is indestructible, they will win the game.
That`s why I find it amusing that lots of people who own cars like the Cobra are looking to ditch the IRS for a straight axle, & on the other hand folks want the next gen Mustang to have IRS. I have one of each rear end & under "normal" driving, I can`t tell the difference. Your mileage may vary.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
That`s why I find it amusing that lots of people who own cars like the Cobra are looking to ditch the IRS for a straight axle, & on the other hand folks want the next gen Mustang to have IRS. I have one of each rear end & under "normal" driving, I can`t tell the difference. Your mileage may vary.
One of the reasons Im driving Mustangs is because the still have a solid axle. Ive heard all the arguments about how the IRS out handles it, but on the street, in the REAl world. the solid axled Mustangs do just fine. After all, I have no intention to enter my car in the Indianapolis 500 anyway.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
A Mustang without an independent rear end suspension beat a Subaru and BMW? This can't be true! skep.gif

honestly the fact that it didn't beat them by 6 seconds speaks to the drawbacks of our panhard bar/ live rear axle system

remember those cars are 4 cyls wth on average 100hp less than ours.

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
MACH I Member

Quote:
One of the reasons Im driving Mustangs is because the still have a solid axle. Ive heard all the arguments about how the IRS out handles it, but on the street, in the REAl world. the solid axled Mustangs do just fine. After all, I have no intention to enter my car in the Indianapolis 500 anyway.
You must have nice roads. Mine are full of potholes and bumps. IRS tends to ride a lot smoother out here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Now I am curious
Cliffs notes: The Korean wins, but not on numbers.

Quote:
Again. Regardless of what the salesmen post at Motor Trend, it is a Mustang. And the best Ford has ever built. If us Mustang owners wanted a Camaro, or a Challenger, or even a Volvo. We would be driving one. Everyday driving experience with a Mustang defines its purpose and credibility. Not some magazine article written by a nimrod, waiting for a pizza to be delivered.
Well actually I would have never considered a Mustang, especially a V6 one, until I saw those numbers in Motor Trend. We're talking about a $25K car that goes 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, that boggles my mind.

Quote:
Pretty sure your solid rear would do just fine in the Indy 500, you're only going in circles. Agreed though, for everyday driving it's not an issue. Not to mention the BOSS is a track beast.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I will add Ford has done an amazing job on the handling of this car. +1 on the 22k bargin. I was looking for
performance 1st/price 2nd Made in USA was a bonus. I made a good choice.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page