I want to surprise my Bother-in-Law... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you have 3.31 gears I would say you can pull on one with a tune and intake for sure. With my mods I pull on them easily.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I wonder how much the 3:31's would affect fuel economy?

When I went from 3:23's to 4:56's in my Dart, the MPG's took a real nose dive!

2014 Mustang V6 Premium w/Pony and Comfort Packages. White w/Light Stone interior.

(The Coyote was tempting, but I already have a hot rod!)

1968 Chevelle, 383ci SBC, tri-power, 4-speed, longtubes, Magnaflows.
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
You are going to be a lot closer to running with an automatic 5.7 chally than you think or than anyone here seems to think. I was able to hang pretty close to one with my old '04 3.9 V6 Mustang that only had a tune and CAI and true duals on it.

You may not have as much top end as he has but in a 1/4 mile drag race(at the track, right?) you should be pretty close. I say just get a 93 Hybrid tune from bama and you will at the very least be right on the challenger.
Must have been a really bad driver if you could keep up with a 5.7 Hemi Challenger in your 3.9 V6!!!

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28th1s View Post
Must have been a really bad driver if you could keep up with a 5.7 Hemi Challenger in your 3.9 V6!!!
I didn't say I could keep up with him, but he wasn't able to run away from me much though.

My '04 Mustang ran really well.

Forgot to mention earlier that it had a port matched intake and I had removed the IIRC.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWms View Post
I wonder how much the 3:31's would affect fuel economy?

When I went from 3:23's to 4:56's in my Dart, the MPG's took a real nose dive!
the only real hit will be on the hwy at cruising speed where at a give speed your rpm will be 15-20% higher. In town it'll be easier to get it going and if wanted you can be in a higher gear. I drove both and the 3.31 (or higher) is the way to go. Bad news to make the odo/speedo work properly you need to get a tune or have the dealer reflash for the gear ratio. Ford only supports up to the 3.31 in the V6.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
the only real hit will be on the hwy at cruising speed where at a give speed your rpm will be 15-20% higher. In town it'll be easier to get it going and if wanted you can be in a higher gear. I drove both and the 3.31 (or higher) is the way to go. Bad news to make the odo/speedo work properly you need to get a tune or have the dealer reflash for the gear ratio. Ford only supports up to the 3.31 in the V6.
I called a few dealerships around my area and all of them said they couldnt flash my car to upgrade my gears to 3.31. Wonder if anyone else has actually got a dealership to do this for them.

2013 3.7 mustang auto.
Mods: magnaflow catback- 20% tint- roush upper grille- AM billet lower grill- gt500 rear spoiler-jlt oil seperator- boss 302 strut tower brace- SVE drift wheels 19x9.5 on nitto nt555 275/35/19- 3.73's- ebay paddle shifters
》MPT tuned 93race《
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281racered3.7 View Post
I called a few dealerships around my area and all of them said they couldnt flash my car to upgrade my gears to 3.31. Wonder if anyone else has actually got a dealership to do this for them.
Lots of people have had it done.

If your dealer service dept says they can't then they just don't know what they're talking about or just don't want to mess with someone doing mods to their car.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

You guys are giving those Challengers too much credit. With a proper launch, traction and a good tune you can pace him on the 1/4mile. His HP will pull on you up top but check this out, I walked this SRT8 down the track with just a tune:

You will need at least a race tune though, and some practice. Gears will give you the definitive jump.

Street Legend PBIR - YouTube

2012 Black V6 Coupe Auto 2.73
BAMA 93+ Race Tune, Magnaflow Comps, 3370lbs
SVT Drift 18", Nitto NT555
13.7 @100mph
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Well he was sleeping at the light then he proceeded to light up the tires. That is pretty much the only way you are going to "walk" a SRT8 down the track.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Well he was sleeping at the light then he proceeded to light up the tires. That is pretty much the only way you are going to "walk" a SRT8 down the track.
Agreed!!

Terrible reaction time and a terrible driver!! That is not representative of how a well driven SRT8 Challenger runs!!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Always remember the most important mod........

Driver Mod

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:

Driver Mod
You sure got that right!!!!
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:

Driver Mod
That's what I'm saying, a little skill, some traction and a tune and you too can walk a V8. I watch v8's sit there and spin all day at the line... you may not want to launch at 5k on street tires if you got 370lbft of torque.

2012 Black V6 Coupe Auto 2.73
BAMA 93+ Race Tune, Magnaflow Comps, 3370lbs
SVT Drift 18", Nitto NT555
13.7 @100mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page