I want to surprise my Bother-in-Law... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I want to surprise my Bother-in-Law...

My Bother-in-Law has a bone-stock 2010 Challenger R/T with auto trans, and a 5.7 Hemi. My '14 V6 is also stock w/auto.

He knows the reputation of our V6's, but I know he still has the edge on me. He wants us to get them together and see how they compare. This is the first time he has ever had a car that should out run me in forty years, so I want to pep-up my car without him suspecting anything.

(I think he's going to be embarrassed regardless of the outcome!)

Has anyone seen a comparison between the two cars for a quarter-mile run?

(I've already given him a good run in my wife's '10 G37, but at a point he starts pulling away.)

I'd like to keep-up with him as best I can without doing a lot of apparent work and pieces added on.

I have ordered a K&N drop-in air filter, but nothing else planned so far. (I don't want to re-gear the differential.)

Ideas??

2014 Mustang V6 Premium w/Pony and Comfort Packages. White w/Light Stone interior.

(The Coyote was tempting, but I already have a hot rod!)

1968 Chevelle, 383ci SBC, tri-power, 4-speed, longtubes, Magnaflows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
PONY Member

Without Re gearing the only other thing is a Tune and long tubes.
You defiantly wont win with 2.73 gears.

13 V6 Premium Deep Impact Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package,Security Package
Mods: Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, RTR 19in wheels, Nitto Nt55,, Ford All-Weather Mats, Gt LED Grille, Airaid CAI, Borla Atak AxleBacks, GT500 Style wing, Adaptive Shifting Pigtail, Koni Yellows, Steeda Adjustable Camber Plates, and Eibach Sportline springs,BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers, MPT 92 Octane Tune, DSS Driveshaft, Ford 3.73 Gears, Brembos
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
Apprentice

Programmer is a must. Shame you don't have a CAI instead of the drop in. With my mods I did a short rolling pull against a Challenger and out accelerated it.

11 AT 3.7 BBK ceramic LT. ORX w/res. Borla S. BBK TB. Roush CAI. Bama 93R. 2:73 candy red w/black. Saddle int.
14 MT82 3.7 Performance Package GHIG 3.31gear. Stock.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

The one thing you say you don't want to do (change the rear gears) is the single best mod to make your car quicker.

An automatic 'Premium' car will need some mods to keep up with an automatic 5.7 Hemi Challenger. I would get a tune to start. Other mods that you can get that aren't 'visible' are an aluminum driveshaft and some ported upper and lower intakes.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Instead of modding your car, is it possible to sabotage his?

maybe 6-8 bags of cement in trunk, or fill his rear tires up to 65psi

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Instead of modding your car, is it possible to sabotage his?

maybe 6-8 bags of cement in trunk, or fill his rear tires up to 65psi
Hmmm... you know, a bag of sugar is only a few bucks!

2014 Mustang V6 Premium w/Pony and Comfort Packages. White w/Light Stone interior.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Going to be tough with the stock gears but a tune will definitely be noticeable and give ya a swift kick in the pants.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I've had a number of V6 guys here do our cold air and tune and go out and surprise the V8's, solid gains throughout the powerband. That and gears and you might ruin his day.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
Banned

With a title like that, I am expecting to see some awkward crude punch-lines....

What's green and shags grannies? Me in my lucky green jacket!
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

You're wasting your time if you don't plan on gears and a tune right off the bat. Sure woke up my wife's GTS! Her car also had a K&N drop in ... that seemed like a waste of time to me. I've haven't had her GTS on a dyno but the seat of pants gauge made me think that replacing the K&N with a CAI was worth the time and money. I would pay attention to what Z28th1s posts ... he had a damn fast naturally aspirated V6 that has humbled many, many people.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jlawrence613
You wont win in an auto with stock gearing. 3.73's or better. Tune, Intake. Levels playing field. Anything after that is just bonus.

Grabber Blue 2011 V6 Premium A6 Coupe Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, BBK Longtube Headers w/ O/R Xpipe, Steeda CAI, Dynomax 2.5" Ultra Flo Catback, Boss302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 '10 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555 Next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Al Driveshaft, . Styling: 15% Tint, Black Spoiler, Decklid Panel, & Grille Surround. Chin Spoiler, Hood Spears

Best to Date - 13.212 @ 105.79 - Uncorrected
SHELBY GT 350 Member

You are going to be a lot closer to running with an automatic 5.7 chally than you think or than anyone here seems to think. I was able to hang pretty close to one with my old '04 3.9 V6 Mustang that only had a tune and CAI and true duals on it.

You may not have as much top end as he has but in a 1/4 mile drag race(at the track, right?) you should be pretty close. I say just get a 93 Hybrid tune from bama and you will at the very least be right on the challenger.

Banned

Swap look alike cars cars with one of us who is local to you and has theirs built.....with gears
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Auto R/T challengers down here are running solid 14.2-14.5's at 98 mph. That's what I ran in my car back when I only had a tune and CAI with my 2.73's. You may keep up with him for a 1/4 mile as you are now, but not for long. His gearing and extra HP will eventually overcome the weight advantage and pull on you when you start getting up to speed. You really will need better gears to equalize the cars.

on the flip side, you can always say that you lost because you have two less cylinders and gas saving gears if you do. That always trolls people well.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah, 3.7 V6 vs 5.7 V8 (Hemi)... he loses whether he wins or not!

I could back off before he starts pulling on me, and tell him I got out of it to keep from 'shaming' him too bad!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page