advice for first quarter mile run in '12 v6 tonight - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned

spend $75, and JUST TRY an MPT tune at the track. They seem to work for most people!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Yet another auto that gets crappy times. Pretty sure it's how the shift programming is dialed in. You should be running mid-upper 13s depending on atmospheric conditions.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollin24 View Post
spend $75, and JUST TRY an MPT tune at the track. They seem to work for most people!
Yeah MPT is better than Bama IMO.

Apprentice

tnclutch, I live in Northern Alabama, you'd be more then welcome to come down and we could check your car over (although I think your a good 3 hrs one way from me) . Let you compare your auto to mine and get you some multiple datalogs in to send off for fine tuning.
I do have 3.73 gears and a MPT tune, but I can throw the Bama tune back on for you to get an idea of the difference.
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
The 60" isn't the disconcerting part. Or the time. It's the 92 mph trap that is very weird

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm sorry, but I disagree to an extent. The 60' strongly reflects in the finishing ET and MPH trap. Yes the ET and MPH are low, but with a 2.5 second 60', I would expect them to be low.

As an example - I've personally run a 12.2 @ 120mph with a 2.2 60' the same night I ran an 11.4 @ 128mph with a 1.8 60'. Now neither of the 60's were great considering track prep was poor, but I picked up 8mph with a better 60' alone. Of course, this is an extreme example, but an example at that.

Hope this helps clarify things. The OP is in touch with the Bama Team currently, so they're make any tweaks or adjustments needed too. We're just waiting on a datalog and we can move forward from there!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree to an extent. The 60' strongly reflects in the finishing ET and MPH trap. Yes the ET and MPH are low, but with a 2.5 second 60', I would expect them to be low.

As an example - I've personally run a 12.2 @ 120mph with a 2.2 60' the same night I ran an 11.4 @ 128mph with a 1.8 60'. Now neither of the 60's were great considering track prep was poor, but I picked up 8mph with a better 60' alone. Of course, this is an extreme example, but an example at that.

Hope this helps clarify things. The OP is in touch with the Bama Team currently, so they're make any tweaks or adjustments needed too. We're just waiting on a datalog and we can move forward from there!

Shane
Spinning off the line can artificially inflate your mph down on the other end. Trap speed can be deceiving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

Shane
Well that's weird that you picked up 8 mph from that alone. That's equivalent to picking up 60 horsepower from a better 60". Trap speed indicates power more than the et. The car had 11's in it w/ that 120 mph trap regardless.... I really need to see that time slip to believe that. I just don't understand how a car can gain 8 mph in speed without any other mods, just lowering the 60' by .4".

Are you sure you weren't running in worse da and than it became cooler at night and better da? Honestly 8 mph is a lot for only .4 second difference in the 60"... 8mph is alot in general. I've never seen that happen before. I've always seen the opposite... that the more spin=more trap speed.

As an example in the 1/8th mile my friend has a t/i/e 5.0 and his best time is a [email protected] 86 mph w/ a 2.2 60". One run he spun through all of first and into second... ran a [email protected] 89 mph w/ a 2.5 60".

I've never really seen the mph drop because of a bad 60"... I know the et is greatly affected by the 60". That will change significantly, but the mph stays pretty constant. Trap speed normally indicates horsepower.... and you gaining 8 mph in trap speed seems very hard to believe.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Well that's weird that you picked up 8 mph from that alone. That's equivalent to picking up 60 horsepower from a better 60". Trap speed indicates power more than the et. The car had 11's in it w/ that 120 mph trap regardless.... I really need to see that time slip to believe that. I just don't understand how a car can gain 8 mph in speed without any other mods, just lowering the 60' by .4".

Are you sure you weren't running in worse da and than it became cooler at night and better da? Honestly 8 mph is a lot for only .4 second difference in the 60"... 8mph is alot in general. I've never seen that happen before. I've always seen the opposite... that the more spin=more trap speed.

As an example in the 1/8th mile my friend has a t/i/e 5.0 and his best time is a [email protected] 86 mph w/ a 2.2 60". One run he spun through all of first and into second... ran a [email protected] 89 mph w/ a 2.5 60".

I've never really seen the mph drop because of a bad 60"... I know the et is greatly affected by the 60". That will change significantly, but the mph stays pretty constant. Trap speed normally indicates horsepower.... and you gaining 8 mph in trap speed seems very hard to believe.
As I mentioned in my previous post, this was an extreme example. There's no doubt air density played part of the role in my example/situation, but even still it's not the first time I've seen a car trap lower with a worse 60', nor would I say it's uncommon.

We often hear that trap speeds will go up if you're spinning. This does happen and true to an extent. What we don't hear often is, what's considered spinning? At what point does traction loss become too excessive?

What I've found from personal experience is most cars cutting 1.7-1.9 60's usually trap their highest MPH. The same car usually traps lower with killer 1.4 or 1.5 60's and lower again with higher 2.2+ 60's. Again, this is personal experience, not factual or accurate for every car.

A 2.5 second 60' is excessive if the car was losing traction. With that much wheel spin, the car never had enough time to accelerate itself to a normal trap speed. This was true for every 2.5 60' I've seen or can think of.

Unfortunately, I never kept the 12 second time slips I got at the track. I still have the 11.4 @ 128mph one, but there's not point to showing it without the 12.2 @ 120mph pass.

I don't mean to cause an argument by any means, I just want to share some information that helps explain the OP's experience. I also want to stress that I'm not ruling out any minor adjustments needed to the OP's tune either. Which is why I'm assisting him with datalog info and any additional Bama support needed.

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
tnclutch, I live in Northern Alabama, you'd be more then welcome to come down and we could check your car over (although I think your a good 3 hrs one way from me) . Let you compare your auto to mine and get you some multiple datalogs in to send off for fine tuning.
I do have 3.73 gears and a MPT tune, but I can throw the Bama tune back on for you to get an idea of the difference.
Thanks a lot for the offer man, I may have to take you up on that.

2012 v6 mustang base grabber blue auto
Performance: bbk lt headers, bbk o/r midpipe, thrush turbo mufflers, MPT 93r tune, airaid CAI, 3.73 FR gears
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
As I mentioned in my previous post, this was an extreme example. There's no doubt air density played part of the role in my example/situation, but even still it's not the first time I've seen a car trap lower with a worse 60', nor would I say it's uncommon.

We often hear that trap speeds will go up if you're spinning. This does happen and true to an extent. What we don't hear often is, what's considered spinning? At what point does traction loss become too excessive?

What I've found from personal experience is most cars cutting 1.7-1.9 60's usually trap their highest MPH. The same car usually traps lower with killer 1.4 or 1.5 60's and lower again with higher 2.2+ 60's. Again, this is personal experience, not factual or accurate for every car.

A 2.5 second 60' is excessive if the car was losing traction. With that much wheel spin, the car never had enough time to accelerate itself to a normal trap speed. This was true for every 2.5 60' I've seen or can think of.

Unfortunately, I never kept the 12 second time slips I got at the track. I still have the 11.4 @ 128mph one, but there's not point to showing it without the 12.2 @ 120mph pass.

I don't mean to cause an argument by any means, I just want to share some information that helps explain the OP's experience. I also want to stress that I'm not ruling out any minor adjustments needed to the OP's tune either. Which is why I'm assisting him with datalog info and any additional Bama support needed.

Shane
Thank you for all your help. I would find it hard to ever stray from bama because of the superior customer service. And their prices can't be beat at all. Great company! Hopefully I'll have everything straightened out and get to run again next Saturday and hope for some better times.

2012 v6 mustang base grabber blue auto
Performance: bbk lt headers, bbk o/r midpipe, thrush turbo mufflers, MPT 93r tune, airaid CAI, 3.73 FR gears
Banned

^ You're missing the boat here. Whether or not Bama is a great company, there is something wrong with your car. A slow 60' or not, Your. Car. Should. Run. Higher. Than. 92. MPH.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
^ You're missing the boat here. Whether or not Bama is a great company, there is something wrong with your car. A slow 60' or not, Your. Car. Should. Run. Higher. Than. 92. MPH.
Yes, there may be something amiss with the car, but there also could be something wrong with the tune. That is why they are doing the datalog and conversing about the tune.

I don't think anyone is "missing the boat".

2011 V6 Convertible Kona Blue I Billet Grille
Ford Racing exhaust I Ford Racing M5300N Springs
Airaid CAI I Bama 91 Hybrid Tune
Koni STR.T Shocks
American Racing Bullit Chrome 18" Wheels
255/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Apprentice

My wife's Mustang has the same type of mods and this is what she runs with a 1700 DA. Right lane for her.

Wife = 2012 Mustang V6 Premium Grabber Blue BBK CAI, BBK LT w/ HFC, Borla ATAK, MPT Tune, DSS Driveshaft, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BMR LCA's | Best = 13.5 @ 105
Husband = 2010 Camaro V6 Synergy Green Edition IPF Supercharger Best = 12.5 @ 111
Closest finish @ the line = Wife by 0.0028 seconds (4.79 inches)

Also own a 2014 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 401A, Comfort Package, Shaker Pro System, Pedestal Spoiler
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

Before giving up on Bama, or your car for that matter, do some data logging.

I've been back and forth with Don doing datalogs and tune revisions since I installed the ported intakes. From the first 'basic' tune to get the car running after the install, to where its at now, is night and day. Just from data logging and revising.

It seems more of the auto guys are having trouble with Bama then us 3-pedal guys. I'm guessing other companies have the auto's dialed in a little better. (I believe someone touched on that already). For instance, I'm running Bama, my dad is running Lund. There was .1 and 1mph difference in our times at the track the other night, and that was mainly in the 60 ft. (1.71 for him, 1.78 for me).

OP, don't give up. Get some logs sent in to Bama and see what they can do. If nothing changes, spend the $75 for a tune from another company. You'll lose way more then that probably by trying to switch cars
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnclutch View Post
Thank you for all your help. I would find it hard to ever stray from bama because of the superior customer service. And their prices can't be beat at all. Great company! Hopefully I'll have everything straightened out and get to run again next Saturday and hope for some better times.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that and I'm confident the Bama Team will get you straightened out too. You're in good hands!

Let me know if you need any additional assistance.

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page