My driver side rear end is lower than the other side...any advise on how to fix it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My driver side rear end is lower than the other side...any advise on how to fix it?

Hey guys
Just like the title said, my left rear end is like haft of an inch lower than the right, what did I do wrong? And how do I fix this issue? I can see it from standing in the back of my car and I just can't stop thinking about it. Could it be the spring or the shock that caused this issue ? What do you guys think?
Thank you

2012 mustang v6 performance package, power mods: airraid intake, borla s-type exhaust, appearance mods: saleen front grille, hood spears, roush side spliters, 2013 tail lights, retro fitted head lights with led and hid, shorty antena, black deck lid, gt500 steering wheel, oem take off leather seats, retro black shift knob, suspension mods: koni shocks/struts, sr springs, gt500 top mounts, panhard bar, lca.
1994 mustang gt 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce106 View Post
what did I do wrong?
What did you do?

The shock won't cause a height issue. Did you change the springs?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Well, by your sig you have the cheapo SR springs so I would imagine it's a bad spring.

As stated above, the shocks have no affect on ride height.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
Banned

If the shock is blown it definitely will. I've played with this topic with my last project vehicle. Going from gas charged to hydraulic drag shocks was worth a 1/4" drop up front. Push a gas shock in...it pushes back. Hydro shock...it stays put. I'm betting his seals are blown in that shock.

Before that, I didn't think it would affect ride height either. Also found one older internet article from Monroe that verified this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
If the shock is blown it definitely will. I've played with this topic with my last project vehicle. Going from gas charged to hydraulic drag shocks was worth a 1/4" drop up front. Push a gas shock in...it pushes back. Hydro shock...it stays put. I'm betting his seals are blown in that shock.

Before that, I didn't think it would affect ride height either. Also found one older internet article from Monroe that verified this.
If the car is at a standstill it's not the shock, it's the spring. The shock does not have the strength to resist the car's weight, it is only used to dampen the reflex of the spring.

I'm with others, it's the spring. Either bad or seated incorrectly.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

IDK what the OP's car has or if he has a spring problem but I'm gonna agree with Intense and the gas/hyd bit making a differance.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post

I'll agree with that. Thanks Intense.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
Banned

The shock will only make a small difference. My observation was a 1/4" putting hydraulic drag shocks up front on another vehicle owned. Now, I'm thinking if you rode around with a blown shock long enough, you might make the springs work harder to maintain ride height and weaken it a little. So, maybe that might end up at 1/2".

Do some googling. It's out there. I know these shocks take some ass to push in, been there. I can also go out and lift up the body on one corner out back a 1/4". It's the springs job to maintain ride height, but the compressed gas shocks do hold a small amount of load on their own. It could be a combination of a weak spring and blown shock. Just a possibility based on experience and reading other conversations.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
Rookie

I've noticed something similar on my car. Bone stock suspension here. Only thing ever done to it was replacing sway bar end links under warranty. Even before that I noticed it. I can see it and I measured from the ground to the top of the wheel well.. it came out to a little under half inch below the passenger side ...

My pickup was like this so I guess I brushed it off as normal. Now im worried.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

At first I was thinking that it was my springs because when I first installed them, I can see the the rear driver side is a little lower than the other side to begin with. And now my left rear end sacked. A few months ago I decided to replace my rear passenger side shock thinking that it was bad due to a bouncy ride. And A month ago I took my rear suspension apart to fix my rear end clunk and found out that the driver side shock was also going bad( I pushed it down and it does not want to come back up) and that might cause it to sack even more. I don't know why koni shocks went bad so fast, could it be a combination of a bad spring and a bad shock??? What should I do? I don't really want to just throw parts at it just to find out what is wrong with the car.
Thank you

2012 mustang v6 performance package, power mods: airraid intake, borla s-type exhaust, appearance mods: saleen front grille, hood spears, roush side spliters, 2013 tail lights, retro fitted head lights with led and hid, shorty antena, black deck lid, gt500 steering wheel, oem take off leather seats, retro black shift knob, suspension mods: koni shocks/struts, sr springs, gt500 top mounts, panhard bar, lca.
1994 mustang gt 5.0
PONY Member

Another possibility for a small difference could be if a component such as a control arm on one side was replaced and torqued with the suspension hanging. It would be a very small difference but just throwing it out there.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce106 View Post
At first I was thinking that it was my springs because when I first installed them, I can see the the rear driver side is a little lower than the other side to begin with. And now my left rear end sacked. A few months ago I decided to replace my rear passenger side shock thinking that it was bad due to a bouncy ride. And A month ago I took my rear suspension apart to fix my rear end clunk and found out that the driver side shock was also going bad( I pushed it down and it does not want to come back up) and that might cause it to sack even more. I don't know why koni shocks went bad so fast, could it be a combination of a bad spring and a bad shock??? What should I do? I don't really want to just throw parts at it just to find out what is wrong with the car.
Thank you
I'm not sure. Potholes or rough roads? Bad batch of shocks? How many miles were on them when they blew?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page