New member. Can't decide on which mod to do next. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

New member. Can't decide on which mod to do next.

Hey guys just joined the forums here. I currently have a 2012 v6 mustang and I already have a few mods on it such as 3.73s, tune, and JLT CAI. I have a choice here for my next mod and have to pick between the two. It's between bbk ceramic shorty headers or a lethal x pipe with a bbk throttle body. Also I have an automatic so I'm looking for low end power. I really don't know which to pick but right now I only have the money to do one or the other. If you guys could pick one which would you pick and why? Trying to make a decision soon.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member

Looking for low end power? I suggest a BBK 73MM TB and a set of upper & lower intakes ported by Lone Wolf Performance. Your 3.7 will come alive!

'11, V6 Premium, Kona Blue, Saddle, Pony Package/Remote Start/Comfort, Auto, Nav, AirRaid CAI: Lone Wolf Ported Intakes & BBK TB W/Bama Tunes, JLT Catch Can, FRPP 4:10 Gears, BBK LT & Catted X Pipe W/ Magnaflow Cats Back, Koni STR.T W/ Steeda Ultra-Lites, FRPP LCA, BMR Panard, Steeda X-Brace, FRPP Diff Cover, Performance Automatic Trans Pan, Power Stop Rotors W/ Evolution Pads, Llumar CTX tint, Stillen Chin Spoiler, Roush Side & Rear Splitters, OEM Hood Scoop, GT Rear Fascia.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnplanedoc View Post
Looking for low end power? I suggest a BBK 73MM TB and a set of upper & lower intakes ported by Lone Wolf Performance. Your 3.7 will come alive!
Thanks for the response. If you have to pick between getting only the ceramic shorty headers or lethal x pipe and bbk TB which would you pick?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
PONY Member

Throttle body is the easiest to install.
I went ahead and did that yesterday and was very easy. Throttle response is improved and I get through mid-rpms really quick.
I'd say like most everyone else between 1800-4000 rpms the throttle-body shows improvement in the car.

If you don't have to pay anyone to do it or can do it yourself or with friends, then do the exhaust as it will give you some great sound and performance, otherwise I'd go after the low hanging fruit as that's a slam dunk install and has good gains as well.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnplanedoc View Post
I agree with this. The best way to compliment a new Throttle Body is to then get your intake manifolds ported. This will give you the biggest increase in the low end torque you are looking for.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnyog View Post
Thanks for the response. If you have to pick between getting only the ceramic shorty headers or lethal x pipe and bbk TB which would you pick?
If I had to pick from those three, again, I recommend you consider the BBK TB, but along with ported intakes. It just made sense me considering total costs, convenience, and an intimidate and noticeable increase in low end torque/power, to do the TB and ported intakes at the same time.

You will have to re-tune for the new intakes, and depending who's tune you use that can be troublesome to lock in the shift points and such. But Ryan at Bama was great for me, and while I had to go though 5 data loads till everything line up right, once you get you tune "customized" the way you like it, oh my gosh, you will have some fun!

'11, V6 Premium, Kona Blue, Saddle, Pony Package/Remote Start/Comfort, Auto, Nav, AirRaid CAI: Lone Wolf Ported Intakes & BBK TB W/Bama Tunes, JLT Catch Can, FRPP 4:10 Gears, BBK LT & Catted X Pipe W/ Magnaflow Cats Back, Koni STR.T W/ Steeda Ultra-Lites, FRPP LCA, BMR Panard, Steeda X-Brace, FRPP Diff Cover, Performance Automatic Trans Pan, Power Stop Rotors W/ Evolution Pads, Llumar CTX tint, Stillen Chin Spoiler, Roush Side & Rear Splitters, OEM Hood Scoop, GT Rear Fascia.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorian View Post
I agree with this. The best way to compliment a new Throttle Body is to then get your intake manifolds ported. This will give you the biggest increase in the low end torque you are looking for.
++++++++++++++++++

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhtx35 View Post
Throttle body is the easiest to install.
I went ahead and did that yesterday and was very easy. Throttle response is improved and I get through mid-rpms really quick.
I'd say like most everyone else between 1800-4000 rpms the throttle-body shows improvement in the car.

If you don't have to pay anyone to do it or can do it yourself or with friends, then do the exhaust as it will give you some great sound and performance, otherwise I'd go after the low hanging fruit as that's a slam dunk install and has good gains as well.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I was going to suggest a gear change.But I see you already have done that. As has been said, the BBK throttle body is well worth the effort. And a decent set of headers may not improve the low end, but the revs come up so quickly especially with your 3:73's that the power they make is felt almost instantly , when you open up the throttle. As long as you keep the fact in mind that it is not a V8, and will never make that kind of torque, the usual mods will work wonders.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Rookie

Won't these mods void warranty?
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impactblue View Post
Won't these mods void warranty?
They might. But I only live once. And Im not about to wait years to enjoy the performance I can have NOW.I don't speak for everyone though. Nor do I have any intention to.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page