Plasti-dip on fenders - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Plasti-dip on fenders

Just read about someone plasti-diping their wheels, but can you do a hood or fenders? I used to have fender "hash stripes", but the color just didn't match like I expected. Instead of buying new stripes, can I use mat black plasti-dip, and tape off fenders to make new stripes? Do I have to razor cut the tape edges so the paint doesn't stretch and tear unevenly? I was thinking of just painting on top of the old stripes, but they were a little uneven and I was sick of looking at them like that. Does it really just peal off whenever I want (without any residue or scratches) and is it really that durable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013
GT Member

Yes. Yes and no dont razor blade, peel off the tape when its still wet.

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jlawrence613
You can absolutely tape off fender hash stripes. I made my own because I think the one on American Muscle are too thin. I didnt need razor blades or anything like that. I taped of the area and sprayed. NOTE: I do have the dip nozzle though. The spray is much more even and pushes out more product. So with two coats or so I pulled the tape while partially wet. Still on even going through automated car washes. Very easy to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1278777_518467578237153_103592597_o.jpg
Views:	3579
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	269402   Click image for larger version

Name:	5436235264-23014613.jpg
Views:	5527
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	269410   Click image for larger version

Name:	6627909120-27443386.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	269418  

Grabber Blue 2011 V6 Premium A6 Coupe Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, BBK Longtube Headers w/ O/R Xpipe, Steeda CAI, Dynomax 2.5" Ultra Flo Catback, Boss302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 '10 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555 Next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Al Driveshaft, . Styling: 15% Tint, Black Spoiler, Decklid Panel, & Grille Surround. Chin Spoiler, Hood Spears

Best to Date - 13.212 @ 105.79 - Uncorrected

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013
Apprentice

Very nice! I love the black on blue.

'11 Black V6
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks, I'll be trying it in the next month or so. I had no luck putting the vinyl hash stripes on straight. I'm not a great detailer. I guess if I mess this up, I just peel it off a do it again! Haven't really looked yet, but what colors does it come in? Probably would want a satin black, or dark gray if it exists. If you see my profile pics, the stripes looked too light gray in my opinion. The black on grabber blue is awesome. Did you do any of the other accents, like the hood spears? Bytheway JLawrence, if you're there, I'm writing a thread about my glasspack with Bassani axleback experience, with a few questions, if you don't mind answering with your opinions.

Last edited by mlud00; 09-22-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added more text
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013
Apprentice

https://www.dipyourcar.com/ is where I bought my plastidip for my wheels. They have all of the color choices and are reasonably priced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'11 Black V6
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jlawrence613
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlud00 View Post
Thanks, I'll be trying it in the next month or so. I had no luck putting the vinyl hash stripes on straight. I'm not a great detailer. I guess if I mess this up, I just peel it off a do it again! Haven't really looked yet, but what colors does it come in? Probably would want a satin black, or dark gray if it exists. If you see my profile pics, the stripes looked too light gray in my opinion. The black on grabber blue is awesome. Did you do any of the other accents, like the hood spears? Bytheway JLawrence, if you're there, I'm writing a thread about my glasspack with Bassani axleback experience, with a few questions, if you don't mind answering with your opinions.
Sorry mlud, i was indisposed. Shoot me any questions, I will do my best to help

Grabber Blue 2011 V6 Premium A6 Coupe Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, BBK Longtube Headers w/ O/R Xpipe, Steeda CAI, Dynomax 2.5" Ultra Flo Catback, Boss302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 '10 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555 Next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Al Driveshaft, . Styling: 15% Tint, Black Spoiler, Decklid Panel, & Grille Surround. Chin Spoiler, Hood Spears

Best to Date - 13.212 @ 105.79 - Uncorrected
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the site, I actually see anthracite gray metallic, that might be perfect! And jlawrence, I just finished a thread on my Bassani saga, whenever you have the time. Hope my questions aren't stupid. I have very little tuning knowledge, and only basic mechanical skills, but I try... I actually am having fun tinkering on my mustang, of course my wife thinks I'm wasting time and money, but this is my hobby now. I have dozens of mods I want to do and my mustang is my "canvas"!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Actually, I got the black (hopefully mat black) from Home Depot for about $6. So, how long do I have, after I spray, to take tape off before it peels up the paint too?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlud00 View Post
Actually, I got the black (hopefully mat black) from Home Depot for about $6. So, how long do I have, after I spray, to take tape off before it peels up the paint too?
HEY! I was about to ask if there was matte black Plasti-Dip around, because everyone ever only talks about the gray. I could really use some of that for the bottom edge of my doors!

Looks like a trip to the Depot is in my near future!
Rookie

Garage
I did my fenders with plasti dip. Was very easy, just took a while to measure. I had to redo one of the stripes because I accidentally lifted it after cleaning fly crap off the edge; and it came off very easily. Just measured, taped off, and laid one heavy coat, then removed the tape to make clean cuts.

2014 Race Red Mustang GT Premium

Last edited by Lemonth; 09-28-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Fixing pics
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Probably a dumb question, but does Plasti-Dip stick to the plastic body parts?
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
Probably a dumb question, but does Plasti-Dip stick to the plastic body parts?
I plasti dipped the chrome surround on the shifter, grill surround, the button to open the center console, and the back emblem. Also the yellow marker lights. They all held up very well and the best part is you can remove it if you don't like it.

2014 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thinking of Plasti-Dipping my side skirts. The Krylon Fusion bonds much stronger than paint when prepped correctly, but the sun fades it quickly. Plasti-Dip sounds like a feasible alternative.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
Thinking of Plasti-Dipping my side skirts. The Krylon Fusion bonds much stronger than paint when prepped correctly, but the sun fades it quickly. Plasti-Dip sounds like a feasible alternative.

It works well on the plastic trim pieces, I have already dipped mine to protect them from fading due to the sun and it has worked out extremely well.

The plastic underneath the plastidip stays looking new and the black is much darker than eom.

2011 V6 Mustang PP - UJ
MT/ 3.31
_____
Procharger P-1SC, Pypes 2.5 dual M-80's Cat-back/ 4" Resonated tips, Airaid Synthamax filter, SCT/Procharger Tune
_____
Boss Front Fascia, Saleen grill, GT500 Lower Rear Diffuser, leather interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in