My continuing bassani axleback saga - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My continuing bassani axleback saga

I know I annoyed a few readers with my incessant Bassani exhaust drone questions, but here is my story as short as possible. I put a sound mat in the trunk and under rear seat, and like others said, it was marginal at best. At least some road noise is gone. I finally followed most opinions and started with installation of resonators. (Actually a glasspack made by Flowtech) It's 23" long but the actual barrel is 18" long with 3.5" diameter. I clamped it right to the stock H-pipe, and cut the pipe to fit the GP and clamped the other end. It fits very securely with no slip. Right now I only have the passenger side done. The driver side pipe is actually flattened for about 2 feet, which I have no idea why. I drove it with just the one side done and... no drone! Less sound too, but finally no drone. Now,... I have no experience with tuning so I hope this isn't a question I'll be abused for... That stupid flat part might give me a loose fit, and the 23" GP really cut the sound too much, so, how stupid would it be to fit a 12" GP? (The actual glasspack barrel is 8") It would fit exactly where the round pipe is, and all I want to do is stop the drone. Everything is clamped, in case I want to replace worn out glasspacks or even go back to stock with the use of a connector pipe or clamp. Would one long glasspack and one short make ANY difference in exhaust back pressure or performance? Oh the other stupid question is, which direction do glasspacks flow? The open ends of the internal louvers towards the engine or opposite? There is no mention of it anywhere, and no arrows of flow on the GP. I installed the open louvers forward, towards engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Heyo, I can't answer all your questions but I can give you some information.

Resonation is a resonance frequency (I'm sure you knew) and the frequency of a sonic wave has a length. So if you put in 23" GPs and that eliminated the drone, then I would leave it just like that. If you shorten it then you could miss the resonation and it will do nothing for the drone. There is a calculation you can do to find out how long your stuff should be, it's pretty complicated, but I think most people do with 18" pipes.

I don't know what to tell you about the other side though... that flat spot is pretty annoying. You can probably replace the whole length where it goes flat then just put the GP's in there.

Check out what someone posted here about a counter frequency pipe to eliminate drone:

Fancy Tech: How to Get Rid of Exhaust Drone, works great! - Nissan 370Z Forum

2012 Black V6 Coupe Auto 2.73
BAMA 93+ Race Tune, Magnaflow Comps, 3370lbs
SVT Drift 18", Nitto NT555
13.7 @100mph
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I doubt this will work but easy to try, someone has recently posted about filling the tire well with a pillow and reducing the drone.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013
PONY Member

Wouldn't it be easier to buy some axlebacks that didn't drone? Just saying.......................

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yes it would be easier. I've had them up for sale all summer, in the classifieds, my local paper, a regional sales magazine (paper shop), craigs list and a bullitin board at work. Granted, I am trying to sell locally, but mailing them to someone along with what people are offering, I might as well throw $250 away that way. So yes I've thought about it. I'm already agravated enough, so thanks for the obvious answer... Glasspacks are $25-$35 each, and I'm doing the work. I'm also thinking about shorty headers down the line, and every video with a sound clip shows a louder exhaust. I was thinking Borla Touring or S but they are $600+, too much to pay when I already paid $500. I like the Bassani's sound from outside, it was the inside drone that got to me.

Last edited by mlud00; 09-23-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: extra text
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
PONY Member

I know what your going through. I have a set of Magnaflow Competition (muffler delete) axle backs in my tool shed. $500 used 1 month

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
Banned

Sounds like you're happy the way it is now, why mess with it further?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I am happy with the one side and how it turned out. I didn't DO the driver's side yet. That side that has (from the factory) about 2 ft of flattened pipe. I at first thought someone bottomed out the car (I bought it used), but now I see pictures of other cars with same thing. No absolute explanation why. Anyway, I don't know how to make it round, other than pounding it with a hammer, so I asked the question, if I use a shorter glasspack that fits in the area that is round, will it make a negative effect on engine performance. Since no one seems to answer, I'm going ahead with it. Then I suppose someone will come forward and say that it was a stupid idea.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
Banned

Ford went out of their way to do the extra step of flattening it, they must have had some reason because it costs them money. If youre happy why not let well enough alone?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Just for the people who care, I finished both sides, putting a 12" Vibrant resonator on the driver's side. It does seem to reduce the drone significantly. I might change out the glasspack someday for a resonator. They have a much better build quality, plus the core is perforated instead of louvered, but don't know the difference. Sound is much better now. Someday if I get headers, I'll see if the sound changes for the better or worse...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page