How to keep up with 2012 5.0 vs 2013 mustang 5.0 ? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
With 3.31 gears, a good tune, and intake and you can keep up with one to around 80. Than it starts training and by 120 it will put about 5 cars on you. How do I know?

My very good friend has a 3.31 geared 5.0. I've raced him a bunch of times at the strip and on the street from varying roll ons. His best time in the 1/8th mile on the same day as me was a [email protected] mph. My best time was a [email protected] mph. till around 60 cause of traction limitations I keep up than by 80 he has blown by me.

What I'm trying to say is that with bolt ons you can keep up, you'll extend your amount you keep up, maybe up to 100 you'll be able to keep up with full bolt ons, but all motor, the bigger engine will pull ahead hard past triple digits. Always.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Basically what I said earlier. So, vs stock on the strip you could be as good, but with good brakes and tires on the right track or autocross circuit, you could not only keep up but win.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Motor Trends 1/4th mile test track is a little down hill. Thats why they get better times than other mags. Just saying.........

My goal with my Mustang is to be faster than the 2010 and older GT's.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Wow you guys drive to fast. I have turned into that old guy that I use to give the finger to on the hwy because he was driving the speed limit.

Preacherman

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
With 3.31 gears, a good tune, and intake and you can keep up with one to around 80. Than it starts training and by 120 it will put about 5 cars on you. How do I know?

My very good friend has a 3.31 geared 5.0. I've raced him a bunch of times at the strip and on the street from varying roll ons. His best time in the 1/8th mile on the same day as me was a [email protected] mph. My best time was a [email protected] mph. till around 60 cause of traction limitations I keep up than by 80 he has blown by me.

What I'm trying to say is that with bolt ons you can keep up, you'll extend your amount you keep up, maybe up to 100 you'll be able to keep up with full bolt ons, but all motor, the bigger engine will pull ahead hard past triple digits. Always.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think this is about right. I actually took on a 2012 Charger R/T at too high rate of speed 80-130(dumb on my part) and I kept up with him and actually was a head of him by a little bit and he has quite a bit more HP than mine with the V8. He was inching up on me at 125, just the V8 power. However in a real race 1/4 mile or just a 0-60 I'm already done with the victory and with my setup and take-off it's already over by the time he's able to hit that top end speed to over take me.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

PONY Member

If you want to be unique, build up he 3.7 (NA, FI, what have you). 100 HP is alot to make up. By the time you've built the 3.7 to be as fast as a 5.0, you're more than likely over the cost of a 5.0 (Nitrous would be an exception). If you set the performance bar high, expect to spend high!
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
i really want my v6 to keep up with the 5.0's, i haven't came across one but i would like to know what it would take to keep up with one .. my current set up is aem cold air intake dynomax vt exhaust and bama 91r tune...im leaning on with long tubes and gearing , what do you guys think ?
This is definitely going to be a tough task. A bolt on V6 should run low-mid 13's and a bone stock 5.0 is going to run in the high 12's pretty easily. I ran a [email protected] in my 2011 GT bone stock. Now with some bolt ons and a sticky tire, my 2011 GT has blasted into the 11's pretty easily and traps 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile.

If you go with a set of Long tubes, Gears and a small Nitrous hit, you should be able to hang with a stock/minor bolt on 5.0! Keep up the great work with your build and feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhtx35 View Post
I think this is about right. I actually took on a 2012 Charger R/T at too high rate of speed 80-130(dumb on my part) and I kept up with him and actually was a head of him by a little bit and he has quite a bit more HP than mine with the V8. He was inching up on me at 125, just the V8 power. However in a real race 1/4 mile or just a 0-60 I'm already done with the victory and with my setup and take-off it's already over by the time he's able to hit that top end speed to over take me.
It is pretty much right on.... My v6 was so easy to run down the strip. I learned the hard way that the 5.0 has major traction issues in stock form. Drag radials or slicks combined with the appropriate suspension mods eliminate these issues. I have many videos on my youtube page om my 6 running 5.0's. I would always keep up til 80 unless it had sticky tires.... Then it had me from the gate.

My 5.0 ran a 12.9 @ 110 in 2300 DA. I have the m6 and 3.73 gears from the factory. This was when it was stock and running on the all-seasons.... With tires, a tune, and cat deletes I'll be knocking on 11's doors....

The ONLY reason I got rid of the 6 was that I was spending so much money on it. My goal was to do a single turbo setup until they started popping motors. After that I switched to the 5.0 because of an awesome deal (no loss on the trade) and economical reasons.. I have to agree, the 6 was much more rewarding when you see a nice timeslip.... But I do have an 11 second capable car with a factory warranty now....
Apprentice

Pretty sure, Landtosea is using nitrous on his V6 (can't remember if its 100 or 125 shot), bolt ons, gears and tune. He is trapping 12.0 in the 1/4 and was having traction issues I thought, so with better traction high 11's car.
PONY Member

Land to Seas car ran 12.09 @ 114, no traction issues really, in worse weather with some more mods he has dropped his 60 ft a couple tenths so as soon as we see some cool breezes it will run 11's.

I have seen 5.0 Mustangs with the window stickers still in the window run 12.7's @ 112, most magazines test on an unprepped track and being a professional driver doesn't mean you can drive a 1/4mil on radials quicker than anyone else.

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
This is definitely going to be a tough task. A bolt on V6 should run low-mid 13's and a bone stock 5.0 is going to run in the high 12's pretty easily. I ran a [email protected] in my 2011 GT bone stock. Now with some bolt ons and a sticky tire, my 2011 GT has blasted into the 11's pretty easily and traps 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile.

If you go with a set of Long tubes, Gears and a small Nitrous hit, you should be able to hang with a stock/minor bolt on 5.0! Keep up the great work with your build and feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
it is going to be tough ! but hopefully i can find that out ! but if i were to put some nitrous on my car what would be better a dry set up or wet set up if thats the right term ?
Banned

If you have to ask that, you really shouldn't run Nitrous. It's incredibly easy to wreck a motor if you're incorrectly using NOS.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
If you have to ask that, you really shouldn't run Nitrous.
Ummmmm........NO...

These forums do not exist for a bunch of know-it-all's to look down their noses at people. They're here for those who do not know to LEARN from those who do.

Sooner or later someone who knows their s**t will pipe in and answer this guy's very legitimate question. And he will learn. And eventually he will be happy he did, once he correctly applies the sound technical knowledge he gains from the experienced.

Kevinm, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm almost certain kerrdogg and v6moddedmustang can properly address your concerns. Shoot them a PM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
i really want my v6 to keep up with the 5.0's, i haven't came across one but i would like to know what it would take to keep up with one .. my current set up is aem cold air intake dynomax vt exhaust and bama 91r tune...im leaning on with long tubes and gearing , what do you guys think ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
You should have bought a 5.0.
Quote:
at the moment it wasnt in my budget ...im fine with my v6 tho but i was curious if its possible or not
The best I can tell you is to not set your sites on running down a 5.0 but to make your 3.7 the best possible machine you can. And if in doing so you manage to catch one, that would be great! Otherwise, don't sweat it.

But if you insist upon dipping into 5.0 territory, take some modding cues from z28th1s and FoolnYa. These guys are beating on their back doors in NA format.

Once you find the right combination of mod's, you might have so much fun with your V6 that none of that will be important anymore. I recently acquired an MPT tune that just made the rest of my bolt-on's go wild-fire! The car has been transformed. I have no need for the 5.0.

Find your contentment in the V6 or, as has been stated, move on to bigger and better things. Whatever you do, don't cave into anyone who busts your balls for wanting to be faster. That's the nature of who we are and what we do. Love what you got, 'cause there's ALWAYS someone bigger and badder out there!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
The best I can tell you is to not set your sites on running down a 5.0 but to make your 3.7 the best possible machine you can. And if in doing so you manage to catch one, that would be great! Otherwise, don't sweat it.

But if you insist upon dipping into 5.0 territory, take some modding cues from z28th1s and FoolnYa. These guys are beating on their back doors in NA format.

Once you find the right combination of mod's, you might have so much fun with your V6 that none of that will be important anymore. I recently acquired an MPT tune that just made the rest of my bolt-on's go wild-fire! The car has been transformed. I have no need for the 5.0.

Find your contentment in the V6 or, as has been stated, move on to bigger and better things. Whatever you do, don't cave into anyone who busts your balls for wanting to be faster. That's the nature of who we are and what we do. Love what you got, 'cause there's ALWAYS someone bigger and badder out there!
AMEN to what you said Brotha ! i appreciate it and i will continue on adding some bolt ons and see what i can do to satisfy my needs ..thanks for the contacts to i think ill get in touch with both of them so maybe they can help me out !
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
AMEN to what you said Brotha ! i appreciate it and i will continue on adding some bolt ons and see what i can do to satisfy my needs ..thanks for the contacts to i think ill get in touch with both of them so maybe they can help me out !
Glad to hep anyway I can!! BTW, FoolnYA is my son and he will also be glad to help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page