Driving Impressions? 3.73 vs. 4.10? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Driving Impressions? 3.73 vs. 4.10?

Yes, I know the subject has been beaten like a dead horse. However, I did some searches and could not find any coherent threads that just talked about the driving characteristics alone of the 3.73 vs. 4.10. Seat of the pants, is there a very noticeable advantage to the 4.10?

What I am after is anyone out there that has driven these cars with both, or ridden in these cars with both of these gear ratios. Is there enough of a seat of the pants difference (MY CAR IS AN AUTO), between these ratios to justify the difference in highway mileage.

My last car only got 22 mpg on the highway (03 cobra). So I suppose that if I got at least 26 mpg I would be happy. Most of my driving is around town, therefore with the auto that mileage would probably be better or the same.

Also I am running a tall tire. I am running 275/40/19 which is over 26" tall. That is another reason I am leaning towards the more aggressive 4.10. Seems as though the shortest gears are going to be the ultimate cure for the low end torque short fall of the 3.7.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
PONY Member

AXLE RATIOS
For an auto the 4.10 would seem the best and you may gain mpg in town. American Muscle has some reviews on 4.10s with people claiming to like them better than the 3.73s.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
PONY Member

275/40-19 is 27.7" tall. I haven't seen where 4.10s net any better times than 3.73s. Me personally I'd stick with 3.73s, raise the limiter to 7300rpm so it's only one shift to 60mph.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
PONY Member

Also you'll get better mpgs with 3.73s. The performance package should have come with those gears from the factory, but I'm sure it would have eaten into GT sales and there needed to be a bigger performance differentiator between the v6 and v8.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
PONY Member

I went from 3.31 gears to 3.73. Brought the torque sooner for all these Tennessee hills . At the time my wife (only been married a little over 1 year) had a 98 Honda Accord and would use my Mustang longer trips to visit family. The 3.73 gears are pretty good on the highway. NOW.......My wifes Honda died and we bought a 2013 Ford Edge Limited over $40,000 , but got a good deal on it. Now we can use the Edge for trips................NOW, I wish i had gone with 4.10 gears because my Mustang will be almost 100% city driving. I might have them changed next spring to 4.10

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
I had 3.73's and switched to 4.10's. My Fox is an AOD. I saw no difference in track times , mph and very little difference in rpm. There was no noticeable seat of the pants feel. What made a huge difference was a 3500 stall converter. It really woke the car up.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
Site Sponsor

I've always used 4.10 gears in my Mustangs, but none of them were the MT82 or 6R80 transmissions either. I found the 4.10 gears to be a little quicker out of the hole than the 3.73's that were installed into my '04 Cobra by the previous owner. As long as you have traction and enough gearing, the 4.10's have been awesome!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

No plans to race the car at all. Just want the maximum fun factor. If maximum fun factor is 4.10 then that is what it will end up being. Still on the fence though.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013
Banned

I remember there used to be a chart that showed the RPM's at highway speeds with various gears for the 6R80 auto in these cars... Anyone know where it is?
Apprentice

Metaman - see if you can get a 2 for 1 deal and we can split the cost ---- hahaha - I'm wanting to do the 4.10's for my '13 Perf. Pack.......just can't seem to part with the buckage...
BOSS Member
S197 Member

The bottom line is a lower gear ratio will always give you quicker acceleration at all speeds. But there is no free lunch no matter what anyone tells you. True, at lower speeds between gears the 4:10's will move the car much easier and thus possibly improve fuel milage during stop and go city driving situations. But , on the highway at sustained speeds the lower 4:10 ratio will consume considerably more fuel period.
So I guess the question you have to ask yourself is , how do you used the car. if you spend the majority of your time running around the city at lower speeds, the 4:10's will definitely give you the upmost performance from your V6. But if you spend a lot of time on long highway trips, you are setting yourself up for disappointment, unless you really don't care about gas milage.
As was said earlier, it may be worth looking into a higher stall torque convertor, if you have an automatic. With the technology of present, it is possible to get high stall and still et lockup for highway trips.
Ive had more than my share of "single purpose" cars. Years ago, when gas was cheap, I ran a car with 5:14 gears on the street. But still, that car was rarely if ever taken on the highway.
Might I suggest to anyone who is looking fort serious accelertation, that they in turn think about possible upgrading to a GT with a V8. It will give you the acceleration you desire, and do so without turning the car into a "single purpose" vehicle. Just some food for thought, for what it is worth.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well yes, obviously if I wanted an 11 second car then trading up to a GT would be the logical thing to do. However, I just got done daily driving an 11 second car for over 9 years (modded 03 cobra), and I am pretty much over the whole idea of trying to be faster than the "other guy". The 3.7 v6 has always appealed to me ever since it came out because of how much bang there is for the buck. Pretty much the same performance as the 2010 4.6 v8, plus less weight and better weight distribution.

I know that people would have a hard time believing it, but I simply never race the car even for little stop light battles. I have only had this one to the track one time since I bought it just to base line it. More of a measuring tool than something that my ego uses to get excited with. This is not the first potent v6 I have owned. My first car when I was 16 (1993) was an 1985 Buick Regal T-type. It was a turbo 3.8 v6, and with the boost turned up on it would go low 13's all day. Second car was a fully built 87 Buick Grand National. That car had a 3000 stall speed torque converter in it. The higher stall converter was awesome.

The only thing that keeps me from doing a circle D 4000 stall converter is that right now I am starting a new career and do not want to ding up the bank account to severely. If I where running a smaller diameter tire then the 3.73 would be the choice. The tall tire I have got is what has me thinking that 4.10 is probably the good deal. The way that I drive the car is that once every few months I take it on a highway road trip, then the rest is just around town stuff. Just want that punchy snappy feeling when the car initially downshifts and snaps away a few gears.

Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaman View Post
No plans to race the car at all. Just want the maximum fun factor. If maximum fun factor is 4.10 then that is what it will end up being. Still on the fence though.
If you're only looking for a fun factor, I'd say 4.10's will cover that too lol. You'll have a blast with that ratio on the streets! Then again, 3.73's are a good time too..

Good luck with your decision!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Apprentice

3.73 would be the best for a daily driver. Anything more would really be pushing it. But thats what americanmuscle.com told me so idk.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howelldaddy View Post
I had 3.73's and switched to 4.10's. My Fox is an AOD. I saw no difference in track times , mph and very little difference in rpm. There was no noticeable seat of the pants feel. What made a huge difference was a 3500 stall converter. It really woke the car up.
True. Going lower on gear ratio will only do so much. a high stall convertor is what is needed to supplement the lower gear changes. That is, if you want maximum performance from your car.
When I had drag cars, we changed the gear ratios AND always backed it up wit a higher stall convertor. Nothing has changed.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page