I wonder if 1000 hp is possible with the 3.7? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Although 1000 HP would be an awesome thing to see in a 3.7, I can't help but wonder what on earth you'd really do with it? Bragging rights would be great, but how much of that 1000 HP would be lost on traction problems in the 1/4? Could it be effectively used in a circuit course? I can't think of much more good a 1K HP V6 would be, unless it cracks 200 MPH at the salt flats.

But I'd still love to see it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Its called a boost controller. You can turn that 1000hp downto stock levels and run any race you want.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloBusa View Post
Its called a boost controller. You can turn that 1000hp downto stock levels and run any race you want.
AH! Learn something new every day!

PONY Member

Google the TurboSmart Eboost2 boost controller. It has six boost setting that you hit on the fly with one button. Add in that the SCT handhelds now hold 10 tunes and your talking about alot of different options for different fuel types for that 1000hp.

Thats my plan anyways. Lol
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Are we talking 1000 hp on a street car ? My GT with 545 is a handful. someone please enlighten me.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

I can only speak for my car. But The answer is yes and no....

That is the why I have the boost controller. It will allow me too run my car at almost stock power levels with 87 octane and only 2 lbs of boost, all the way up to whatever it will make on E85 running XX lbs of boost. I'm shooting for 1000bhp not rwhp. Big difference. Thats about 800-850 at the wheels. Thats the power level of the Shelby 1000. I can do just about anything I want too with my car with that amount of adaptability.
Banned

Not going to happen. Maybe with an aftermarket cast iron block with a rigid deck. That would lead to cyl heads too.
PONY Member

Are you referring too my build?

If so please state your case...
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloBusa View Post
Are you referring too my build?

If so please state your case...
I don't know about any build.

To make hp, which is a function of torque and rpm, you're going to either have CYL pressure or lower cyl pressure at a higher rpm.

This little 3.7's block was not designed for a 330% power level. It is NOT rigid enough. First fault at high power levels...it's aluminum, it flexs more than cast iron. IE look at the GM LSX block and read up on it. It's not aluminum. It took til '13 for the Shelby to have a purpose built aluminum block....a very powerful v8....at "only" 660+ hp.

Aluminum is not rigid enough. The block will move around a lot internally and will have to be setup really loose on clearances...to run a while if you're lucky. It's not a matter of if it will blow up, it's when. It's difficult to maintain main and rod bearing clearances when even the side bolted main caps start moving and walking around. If it would run long enough. Take the caps off and take a look at them. You'll see signs of abrasion. That's called "cap walk".

Then...to hold that cyl pressure...with a block moving around that much, do you think those floating cyl liners aren't moving around too...and only 4 bolts per cyl on top of that? It's an economical lightweight block.

As to rpms....with a displacement of 3.7L...you're not going to see enough rpm to get there with a factory based valvetrain geometry.

IF I were insistent on the goal of 1000hp at the crank...I'd use a 3.5 block which would be a better/stronger starting point with a stiffer deck. If a builder tells you otherwise, they want your money.

Realistically and reliably, I'd shoot for an attainable goal that will live a while to at least get some smiles out of the engine.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post

To make hp, which is a function of torque and rpm, you're going to either have CYL pressure or lower cyl pressure at a higher rpm.

That is correct

This little 3.7's block was not designed for a 330% power level. It is NOT rigid enough. First fault at high power levels...it's aluminum, it flexs more than cast iron. IE look at the GM LSX block and read up on it. It's not aluminum. It took til '13 for the Shelby to have a purpose built aluminum block....a very powerful v8....at "only" 660+ hp.

We dont know what this little 3,7 block will handle yet but it is a very rigid block by design. Are you saying you dont think the Shelby can handle more than "only" 660hp?

Aluminum is not rigid enough. The block will move around a lot internally and will have to be setup really loose on clearances...to run a while if you're lucky. It's not a matter of if it will blow up, it's when. It's difficult to maintain main and rod bearing clearances when even the side bolted main caps start moving and walking around. If it would run long enough. Take the caps off and take a look at them. You'll see signs of abrasion. That's called "cap walk".

My engine is setup very loose on the clearances. At idle the damn thing sounds like a diesel. I know what cap walk is and its not as common as you make it sound.

Then...to hold that cyl pressure...with a block moving around that much, do you think those floating cyl liners aren't moving around too...and only 4 bolts per cyl on top of that? It's an economical lightweight block.

Yes the cylinders are moving in the block, But again we dont know were this blocks limits are for high level power with non stock internals.

As to rpms....with a displacement of 3.7L...you're not going to see enough rpm to get there with a factory based valvetrain geometry.

Again not known yet. We may be able to spin the forged internals to 8000 rpm, unlike stock.

IF I were insistent on the goal of 1000hp at the crank...I'd use a 3.5 block which would be a better/stronger starting point with a stiffer deck. If a builder tells you otherwise, they want your money.

Realistically and reliably, I'd shoot for an attainable goal that will live a while to at least get some smiles out of the engine.

Ive been hearing that in its many different forms since I first started building this car three years ago. "Just be realistic and shoot for a goal you know you can reach" Or I can push the limits and show you this little "lightweight" V6 can lay down big power.
Until something is attained there is always going to be people who say it is impossible to reach anything. Then those people move on to saying the next thing is not possible.
Banned

Cap walk is not common because people typically know better and use the right part for the application. The same goes for blocks. I didn't say you won't possibly...possibly "SEE" 1000 crank hp...I said it's a matter of WHEN it will blow up in one form or fashion.

The stock parts will spin to 8k. Will it lose reliability...sure. Will it make power without valvetrain work, cyl head porting, and more aggressive ramp rates and lift? No.

You need to change platforms. I know you want to be "different" but it's silly to pursue something that will blow the hell up. It's not a matter of some magical voodoo builder that's going to promise you the world and when you're not looking he'll sprinkle some ju ju dust or something on it. It is a V6...more power per crankshaft journal, main, rod throw...clearances or not. It'll blow up eventually. But hey, jump up on that mountain for a sec.

Btw, I didn't say or insinuate take an "easy" path. So, you want to be different huh? Build a 500hp at the crank 3.7. That's more likely to happen and live with a lot of work. NA is HARDER to achieve than FI if you're looking for a challenge. If it's bragging rights, sure, go FI...you'll still be behind someone.

I was just trying to give you some sound advice. IE like that intake spacer you were using...it cut off half the CSA of the runners if not worse...boost or not! I suggested a custom fuel rail which would have been easier than the spacer itself. There IS enough room for a 1/2" custom line under there.

It's your money...do what you want.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:

Tell that to the GTR guys with their stock aluminum block in their little 3.8's making 1,000 hp.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Tell that to the GTR guys with their stock aluminum block in their little 3.8's making 1,000 hp.
You should think about the difference for a minute.

A 330% power increase for them would be over 1700hp....yeah...it'll blow then too.
Sean Reilly

Quote:
You should think about the difference for a minute.

A 330% power increase for them would be over 1700hp....yeah...it'll blow then too.
Now that is what I call........This guy knows what he's talking about
He Never said a 1,000 HP 3.7 Ford could not be made......Just that it wont last........And I agree!

Sean.
Banned

It won't last by whose standards? I'm pretty sure a Super Snake GT500 "wouldn't last" by a Toyota Corolla driver's standards, so perhaps if he gets 5,000 miles out of a 1,000bhp 3.7 he'll be more than happy? Just remember... Everyones definition of "lasting" is hella different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page