I wonder if 1000 hp is possible with the 3.7? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

The only reason I can think of to do a 1000 hp version of our engine would be if it where going to be shoe horned into some other chassis. Like if you wanted to build an ultra light mid engine Noble and wanted it to be scary. I think one of the only people that would be capable of figuring out how to extract that kind of power would be Tom Nelson. And I would bet that for the right price he would be willing to do it. You got about 75k to spare? He could cut you a billet block and run custom software and everything. Remember that the F1 motors of old where 1200hp twin turbo v6.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloBusa View Post
Google the TurboSmart Eboost2 boost controller. It has six boost setting that you hit on the fly with one button. Add in that the SCT handhelds now hold 10 tunes and your talking about alot of different options for different fuel types for that 1000hp.

Thats my plan anyways. Lol
Nice! A new bookmark for the day I might need it! Looking forward to the future! Thanx much!

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...st-controllers

SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
You should think about the difference for a minute.

A 330% power increase for them would be over 1700hp....yeah...it'll blow then too.
Just saying that your "theory" of aluminum blocks is wrong there bud as the GTR and many other supercars are aluminum.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
It won't last by whose standards? I'm pretty sure a Super Snake GT500 "wouldn't last" by a Toyota Corolla driver's standards, so perhaps if he gets 5,000 miles out of a 1,000bhp 3.7 he'll be more than happy? Just remember... Everyones definition of "lasting" is hella different.
Here's my logic....this guy doesn't drag race. If he did, what you say makes sense and to each their own.

It sure seems like he likes to drive them and is into the road coarse kind of racing...well....those engines have to be reliable and require much more attention to detail more than ANY....ANY drag engine you can think of. ANY

I said, it's not a matter of IF it's WHEN. It's his money and time though so go for it. Encourage the guy.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaman View Post
The only reason I can think of to do a 1000 hp version of our engine would be if it where going to be shoe horned into some other chassis. Like if you wanted to build an ultra light mid engine Noble and wanted it to be scary. I think one of the only people that would be capable of figuring out how to extract that kind of power would be Tom Nelson. And I would bet that for the right price he would be willing to do it. You got about 75k to spare? He could cut you a billet block and run custom software and everything. Remember that the F1 motors of old where 1200hp twin turbo v6.
A custom block and heads would be the way to go.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Just saying that your "theory" of aluminum blocks is wrong there bud as the GTR and many other supercars are aluminum.
It's no theory for THIS.....THIS 3.7 that wasn't designed for it. It's nice for what it is...very respectable design but it is not "designed" to be rigid enough to handle 330% more power than the factory rating. That's just common sense from working in an automotive machine shop. Even race aluminum blocks have their limits...well, this isn't a race block. The aluminum will become jello at that level of power. It will flex, it will distress, it could crack, it will give up the ghost. Floating cyls and the deck surface sucks for what he wants to do with it. Why do you think the 3.5 has a "different"/ stronger/stiffer deck and no floating cylinder at the block/head mating surface?
Banned

Do what floats your boat Solo. Good luck. I gave my .02
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Do what floats your boat Solo. Good luck. I gave my .02
I agree. Do anything you want. Just be prepared to pay the piper.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

Good Luck Solo, but I think you're going to need it.....It's not a matter of if it will reach your goal, but more how soon it blows....best regards Plum
PONY Member

When Piper visited me the first time he was doing alright, now a days the ***** is rolling in it, damn you Piper!

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
PONY Member

Here's the fact of the matter, the only person close to making 600 hp with a 3.7 is Hector at CFM and last I heard Panhandle Performance was building a new engine for him, why? I have no idea, he hasn't mentioned anything to me yet. Solo built his engine, never really heard anything about it except cam pin failure, did it make 600 hp then break, did the car drive down the street, never read about it, don't know? I have been doing research on the cam pins,the factory pin is 5mm od x 8mm length, is hardened from the factory and has a breaking point of around 4,000 lbs. Looking around to find something better has proven fruitless, now I am looking at going to a larger pin diameter which will increase strength dramatically. I guess my wish is if you are doing something cutting edge and can share your findings please do so (I don't think the Russians are watching us here). I have tried to share every find I have come up with to the v6 board, I think that is what irked Land to Sea as well, we are trying some cool stuff with our cars, if it works you guys will be the first to know after all that is what hot rodding is all about. Stay tuned.

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
.....Aluminum is not rigid enough. The block will move around a lot internally and will have to be setup really loose on clearances...to run a while if you're lucky. It's not a matter of if it will blow up, it's when. It's difficult to maintain main and rod bearing clearances when even the side bolted main caps start moving and walking around. If it would run long enough. Take the caps off and take a look at them. You'll see signs of abrasion. That's called "cap walk".

Then...to hold that cyl pressure...with a block moving around that much, do you think those floating cyl liners aren't moving around too...and only 4 bolts per cyl on top of that? It's an economical lightweight block.
This is what you wrote.

No one has reached the breaking points of these blocks yet.

You stated that aluminum is not rigid enough for blocks. Well you are just plain wrong.

Don't worry it happens

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
PONY Member

It's going to be a very long term project, one where there probably wont be any updates for a year or so, but i'm looking into a billet block for the cyclone engine. A Billet aluminum block with Nicasil plating could reach nearly a 4" bore, and with a stroke to match we'd be talking 4.6-4.9 liters. It would end up being lighter, stronger, and having a greater capacity to disperse heat. With the right internals and headwork we could see cyclone v6s competing on even ground with v8s

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
PONY Member

I know my engine builder was impressed with the heads, he has built plenty of 1000+ hp Coyotes. It would be interesting to talk to Maskin or CHE about a billet block, digitizing and machine time would be the killer.

Ford has a 4.5 v6 used in NASCAR back in the 80's, a friend turbocharged one and put it in a coupe a while ago, it was a 900 HP package, then again it was close to 500 hp in NA trim.

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrdogg View Post
I know my engine builder was impressed with the heads, he has built plenty of 1000+ hp Coyotes. It would be interesting to talk to Maskin or CHE about a billet block, digitizing and machine time would be the killer.

Ford has a 4.5 v6 used in NASCAR back in the 80's, a friend turbocharged one and put it in a coupe a while ago, it was a 900 HP package, then again it was close to 500 hp in NA trim.
looking at super six's head flow numbers, they exceed most ls/sbc/bbc/sbf heads and come up close to stock coyote flow numbers. They definitely have serious power potential.

I could have the work on the block started now, but for it to be cost effective they won't produce less than 5 blocks. $2000 deposit per block, $9000 total cost, roughly. That's why it's going to be something that will take a while to get into development

I see N/A cyclones on stock internals putting out roughly 350bhp- imagine the possibilities with an extra liter of displacement, over 20% more flow in and out of the heads, and a lightweight rotating assembly/valvetrain

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page