I wonder if 1000 hp is possible with the 3.7? - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

All I can say is Good Luck Solo. For me I will just be happy to get into the 13s with my little 3.7. Probably already there with my recent mods, just haven't been back to the "Rock" to verify. Maybe next month when temps are cooler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
ENOUGH!! What we have here is some very intelligent people going from disagreeing about something which is OK, right to personal attacks. Which is NOT OK.
Exactly. We all should be able to express our views ( with in reason) and talk about things that are of interest to us.

That said, getting back to our debate about 100 hp v6's. Sure almost anything is possible .But on the street, without turning a car into a single purpose vehicle that will also require extensive maintenance and an unlimited budget, these kind of power levels are prohibitive for 99.5 percent of owner applications.
I would say that anyone looking to achieve this kind of power should seriously be considering a much larger engine. And even then, the supporting modifications as well as realistic expectations, should be taken into account.
I am a power freak, always have been. Personally, I don't know how anyone could drive a 1000 hp car, with out finding it a handful, and then some.
So, unless a person desiring this type of performance is experienced with powerful cars, it might well be better suited for them to step it up gradually, and see how it goes.
I hope im making some sense hear. I know when I was teaching a lot of the young guys would romance about what they read in automotive publications and believe they could enjoy these levels of performance with little or no consequence.
When you are driving a car with 500-600 rwhp, you better have it pointed real straight , before you apply the power.Or find yourself in trouble real Quick. Its a handful, to say the least.
A 1000 hp car, well not many people, would have the ability to control it. let alone maintain it.
No intention to lecture, just exercising my right to debate. I mean isn't that what forums are all about. Guys talking cars, enjoying themselves, comparing viewpoints and lastly, having fun. Live and let live.Lighten up guys. After all , its only a car forum.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigalsixer View Post
If you have the money you can have the 3.7 engine block made of billet aluminum with full water jackets and nicasil liners, get a billet steel stroker crank made, titanium connecting rods and forged pistons, have billet cams made, titanium valve-train components and ported heads, a hogan sheet metal intake manifold and a pair of turbos that would probably blow 1600hp through the thing. The list of things required would be enormous, but you could end up with an engine that displaces over 4 liters and spins happily to 8500 rpm.

Of course you'd be talking $9,000 for just the engine block. Probably that much again for the rotating assembly. More than that for the turbo set up. Another $3500+ for the manifold. So on and so forth.
And it still sounds like a V6 and is missing the bottom end torque of the V8... It's simply more economical to start with 2 more cylinders...

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
And it still sounds like a V6 and is missing the bottom end torque of the V8... It's simply more economical to start with 2 more cylinders...
I totally agree.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
1) I like the sound of the v6
2) quite a bit more torque out of 4.7 liters
3) of course it's more economical to use a v8, it'd be more economical to use a small block chevy if that's all we gave a **** about. Fortunately some people have other priorities, they pave the way, and they make things economical for the people who only care about cost to performance

I'm getting really sick of hearing "it's cheaper to use a v8"

can we, as a forum, establish that yes it is and most of us don't care?

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Have you seen this 1000hp Hyundai Genesis?

Meet the 1,000bhp Hyundai Genesis - BBC Top Gear

Looks horrendously ugly, but they do manage to produce 1000hp from their 3.8 L V6. Pretty impressive I'd say, even though the motor is fully built.
Def possible, extremely pricey though
I've seen a pro charged v6 running low 11s, not sure on power though

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Black 2013 5.0L GT 6M: BBP, HIDs, 20" AMR (285s in back, 255s up front), mostly stock.. for now -15% Tint
(SOLD) Black 2010 4.6L GT 5M: SCT Handheld Tuner - Eibach Sportline Springs-Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust-Hurst Competition Plus Shifter -JLT 3 Series CAI-3.73 FRPP Gears-BMR LCAs & Relo Brackets
-10in Matte Black GT500 Stripes/Roush Front Bumper
(SOLD) White 1999 3.8L V6 4A: MAC Long Tube Headers-Offroad H-Pipe-2.5" Duals-SVT Cobra Wheels
GT Member

Hear about the guy in jersey who just got dynod today... p1sc procharger on a jdm tune making 450whp 353tq.... hmmmm maybe its time to step my game up

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
PONY Member

Ford makes a V10, I own one, why didn't you guys get those instead of 5.0's?

I agree it's wiser to start with the biggest power plant available, I got the six cause I wanted a toy, my toy worked well and then broke due to a mechanical failure of a supporting part. My buddy just put a 5.0 in his 97 Cobra with a 4r70w, makes 460 rear wheel a step down from the 1000 HP twin turbo 4.6 that used to reside there but he needed a more reliable car, and he says it's a blast to drive, my goal is to whip him with the 6, should be easy enough as I made 450 rear wheel before, we'll see.

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
Rookie

I would just enjoy a 400-450whp quick spooling turbo six, that would retain somewhat good MPG's. Hopefully this endeavor will make more simple builds a little cheaper and easier in the future

2012 3.7 V6 Performance Pack - MRT Interceptors - Steeda CAI -
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
A combination of that and other business ventures I've taken. I gave up on the machining after two years...no money in it unless you find a job with a NASCAR team and even then, you're at the mercy of losing the contract and left hanging in the wind looking for another team to work for. No stability. Pay is much better though! It's something a younger guy with no family should get into.
Hmm I'm a younger guy with no family. Well other than just me and my ol lady. I consider that a family. Perhaps I should get into machining...

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Just spit wadding, unless something in the way of a miracle happens, government policy has been and will continue to be based on politically driven science and the accompanying mpg mandate will pretty much make V8's an extinct species except for high dollar variants that will certainly come with gas-guzzler taxes. Smaller power plants will rule the day and the 3.7L we drive today could represent the upper end of the displacement ladder. "F" may be banking on the data derived from this little experiment to either improve on an existing platform or assist in the development of something entirely new that will be leading the way in the new age of smaller displacement powerplants. As to the question of 1000 HP from a 3.7L, yes it's possible, but only if you spend a small fortune to arrive at an engine that will be buzzy and likely short-lived or you can spend a large fortune and eliminate the NVH and arrive at a reliable power plant, but other than the benefit of research the question would remain, why?

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Because they can. That's why. That's the reason we here in the U.S. have historically done all kinds of batty stuff. Why need a reason if we merely have the means? It's eccentricity at its best.
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang No.7 View Post
Just spit wadding, unless something in the way of a miracle happens, government policy has been and will continue to be based on politically driven science and the accompanying mpg mandate will pretty much make V8's an extinct species except for high dollar variants that will certainly come with gas-guzzler taxes. Smaller power plants will rule the day and the 3.7L we drive today could represent the upper end of the displacement ladder. "F" may be banking on the data derived from this little experiment to either improve on an existing platform or assist in the development of something entirely new that will be leading the way in the new age of smaller displacement powerplants. As to the question of 1000 HP from a 3.7L, yes it's possible, but only if you spend a small fortune to arrive at an engine that will be buzzy and likely short-lived or you can spend a large fortune and eliminate the NVH and arrive at a reliable power plant, but other than the benefit of research the question would remain, why?

You wont see V8's disappearing ANY TIME SOON, as there is Just too much Coin to be made!....Even with the new for '16 CAFE Ratings going into effect Companies like Ford can keep the Fleet average way down by way of coming up with engines just Like the 1.0 L TiVCT Turbo that will be going into the Fiestas, Base Focuses ect......You will NEVER Live to see the Death of the V8 Engine, especially a Ford variant because of how clean DOHC engines that they have Run compared to GM's V8's that although now using DI, they just cant run as Clean or efficiant as Fords TiVCT V8's......

Sean
Banned

I don't see prices dropping on parts or parts coming out that are not already out from someone doing an extreme build. It sells magazines maybe but I'd wager less than 10 people would actually follow through on the same or lesser aggressive goal over then next...3 years. Even 1 year....wouldn't be enough to start cheaper mass production. Maybe a few years from now there will be more of a market starting to open OR, the other way around, the new stuff coming out in 2015 takes the feet out from under the 3.7 and companies focus what little energy they expended on parts for the 3.7 and concentrate on the Ecoboost, later NA engines.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
I don't see prices dropping on parts or parts coming out that are not already out from someone doing an extreme build. It sells magazines maybe but I'd wager less than 10 people would actually follow through on the same or lesser aggressive goal over then next...3 years. Even 1 year....wouldn't be enough to start cheaper mass production. Maybe a few years from now there will be more of a market starting to open OR, the other way around, the new stuff coming out in 2015 takes the feet out from under the 3.7 and companies focus what little energy they expended on parts for the 3.7 and concentrate on the Ecoboost, later NA engines.
Surprises me they haven't developed the software for grafting an ecoboost crate engine into the Mustang.

More to it than that, I'm sure. Just speaking in a very broad general term here.

Why hasn't the market gone in that direction? You can put the ecoboost 3.5 in classic car projects now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page