I wonder if 1000 hp is possible with the 3.7? - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Does everyone realize that there are dozens of these engines available for less than $2000? Stock internals N/A will land you something in the area of 350bhp and we know 475bhp FI is safe. Ford is now making more v6s than v8s last i heard. We're living in an era where less than 3 liters can see over a thousand horsepower. There are more v6 mustangs on the road than v8s and they're going to become a viable entry level use track car for less than the cost of just about any other platform. 2018 rolls around and the trends continue, how many 3.7L mustangs and 3.5/3.7 f150s/tauruses etc will be on the road? What do you think it will cost to pick up a used 2011 3.7?

It will never be the ultimate platform, but pretending like it being expensive to work on now means its completely pointless is just stupid. Look at the direction Ford is moving, and look at the aftermarket support for the 3.7 compared to the 4.0, times are changing.

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
I don't see prices dropping on parts or parts coming out that are not already out from someone doing an extreme build. It sells magazines maybe but I'd wager less than 10 people would actually follow through on the same or lesser aggressive goal over then next...3 years. Even 1 year....wouldn't be enough to start cheaper mass production. Maybe a few years from now there will be more of a market starting to open OR, the other way around, the new stuff coming out in 2015 takes the feet out from under the 3.7 and companies focus what little energy they expended on parts for the 3.7 and concentrate on the Ecoboost, later NA engines.
True, How many people actually want build a car with 1000 hp ? For that matter, how many people want a car with "above average" potential ? You will always be able to build a car that has "above average " performance. And the cost will always be ,"above average"

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

My car made a clean 450 rwhp @ 13 psi boost, like 420 torque also (no meth) and would have been a fun driver. Because the engine was so new we stepped it back to the 360 range at 8psi and it would still break the tires loose in 2nd gear, my problem came when we added meth, made 412 @ 10 psi and TUNED the car for meth, my intercooler was also a bit small. As long as you keep the IAT's in range I think you could run around with 450 rear wheel all day long, especially a supercharged car that has a lower torque curve.

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrdogg View Post
My car made a clean 450 rwhp @ 13 psi boost, like 420 torque also (no meth) and would have been a fun driver. Because the engine was so new we stepped it back to the 360 range at 8psi and it would still break the tires loose in 2nd gear, my problem came when we added meth, made 412 @ 10 psi and TUNED the car for meth, my intercooler was also a bit small. As long as you keep the IAT's in range I think you could run around with 450 rear wheel all day long, especially a supercharged car that has a lower torque curve.
That is respectable and realistic power, from a V6.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

Mine made 420rwhp on 93 and 9psi and shutting down at less than 5500 rpms. Just for comparision between a stock engine with a turbo and mine. With e85 and 15-18ish lbs 700rwhp/700rwtq will be in the bag.
PONY Member

I am really not doing much to improve efficiency on my new engine internally, just adding strength. I am adding a much larger intercooler, better valve springs, E85 and the sheet metal intake upper that should have a more even intake flow, I am betting we see 500 rear wheel at 14-15 psi and it's getting locked down there for a little while . Not bad considering it took 10 psi to see the same power from my 05 GT and it would never crack 24 mpg (E85 was just coming around, I didn't use it).

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloBusa View Post
Mine made 420rwhp on 93 and 9psi and shutting down at less than 5500 rpms. Just for comparision between a stock engine with a turbo and mine. With e85 and 15-18ish lbs 700rwhp/700rwtq will be in the bag.
You've pushed the limits on these cars at least as far as anyone else, in your opinion, what do you think is the limit of street-ability? obviously you have the option to turn down the boost, but you start hearing 700/700 and start thinking that you're reaching the limits of a street oriented car.

With all this talk about 1000+ i think we could use a little perspective, seeing as your build should by all rights smoke every stock gt500 to date.

PONY Member

Ive been racing since I was 9. From Kart to SCCA to motorcycles to ultra highpowered bikes and cars in the standing mile, even a year in formula Mazda snd two years in a Miata,(which hands down was the most fun and competitive racing). A skilled driver on the track is much different than an everyday Joe on the street. In my opinion 500rwhp is at the absolute limit for the street. You really just need to look at pavement differences on city streets. 500rwhp on an unprepped surface is the same as a Geo Metro on ice. Both will get you hurt quickly. I dont want to belittle anyone but 99.999% of people on the street cannot handle more than 400hp. You have to get alot of driving under your belt to get used to it. And even then crazy things happen on the street that rarely happen on a track. So you have zero knowledge of how to react safely.

My goals are for the types of racing that I do. 700/700 will make me a top competitor for what I want to do with this car. 1000bhp/850rwhp is for bragging rights. All the 800rwhp+ guys I know, which is quite a few, never get close to using all that power on the street unless its a straight tollroad in a roll race to 180+ mph.

Besides horsepower isnt everything. These cars can lose 400+ lbs and get the power to weight into great areas. Even into some so called supercars territory.

Yes for me the boost controller is extremely important to what im doing with my car. But Ive seen guys run 20# wastegate springs and racefuel on the street running 700+ rwhp. I dont recommend it for anyone but these guys had more seat time than me by double so I have a feeling they have a pretty solid handle on their cars.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloBusa View Post
Ive been racing since I was 9. From Kart to SCCA to motorcycles to ultra highpowered bikes and cars in the standing mile, even a year in formula Mazda snd two years in a Miata,(which hands down was the most fun and competitive racing). A skilled driver on the track is much different than an everyday Joe on the street. In my opinion 500rwhp is at the absolute limit for the street. You really just need to look at pavement differences on city streets. 500rwhp on an unprepped surface is the same as a Geo Metro on ice. Both will get you hurt quickly. I dont want to belittle anyone but 99.999% of people on the street cannot handle more than 400hp. You have to get alot of driving under your belt to get used to it. And even then crazy things happen on the street that rarely happen on a track. So you have zero knowledge of how to react safely.

My goals are for the types of racing that I do. 700/700 will make me a top competitor for what I want to do with this car. 1000bhp/850rwhp is for bragging rights. All the 800rwhp+ guys I know, which is quite a few, never get close to using all that power on the street unless its a straight tollroad in a roll race to 180+ mph.

Besides horsepower isnt everything. These cars can lose 400+ lbs and get the power to weight into great areas. Even into some so called supercars territory.

Yes for me the boost controller is extremely important to what im doing with my car. But Ive seen guys run 20# wastegate springs and racefuel on the street running 700+ rwhp. I dont recommend it for anyone but these guys had more seat time than me by double so I have a feeling they have a pretty solid handle on their cars.
Valuable input, and very much appreciated

If anything's to be taken from it in regards to the potential of this platform, I don't see any reason it won't be able to afford-ably cover the normal build spectrum. 400+ to the wheels on stock internals and 600+ on the stock block will make it viable at an increasingly appealing price point. Honestly, I think we'll see the day soon where v8s become overkill, the coyote platform could be putting out 600+bhp naturally aspirated in an all out race build, boosted there are practically no limits.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Even if this comes to nothing on the market at large, at least we have another chance to see the basic question answered. I am as curious as the rest here who want to know.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
Even if this comes to nothing on the market at large, at least we have another chance to see the basic question answered. I am as curious as the rest here who want to know.
It is possible and somebody will do it. I know for a fact there are already shops looking into resleeving the block with something along the lines of Darton MID sleeves. How rare 1000hp v6s will be remains a mystery, but i have no doubt that if Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan 6bangers can be made to hold 1k, then somebody will do it on this platform.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigalsixer View Post
It is possible and somebody will do it. I know for a fact there are already shops looking into resleeving the block with something along the lines of Darton MID sleeves. How rare 1000hp v6s will be remains a mystery, but i have no doubt that if Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan 6bangers can be made to hold 1k, then somebody will do it on this platform.
Darton sleeves won't help as to survivability on this block. I've already said why. You could run all the big name parts you want and then the block will become the weakest link. Sonny Bryant, Oliver, Wiseco custom rotating assy will not save it as far as the original topic. Hardblok and a partial fill might help it last a little longer.

I'd talk to quite a few engine builders to get different points of view and feedback....even if you hear what you don't want to hear.
Apprentice

im pretty sure the car wouldn't be able to handle that kind of pressure... is it possible yes... but ud have to strip the whole car down and rebuild it pretty much from scratch.... might as well buy a new car no?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Darton sleeves won't help as to survivability on this block. I've already said why. You could run all the big name parts you want and then the block will become the weakest link. Sonny Bryant, Oliver, Wiseco custom rotating assy will not save it as far as the original topic. Hardblok and a partial fill might help it last a little longer.

I'd talk to quite a few engine builders to get different points of view and feedback....even if you hear what you don't want to hear.
Really? No problem with opposing viewpoints here, but i really thought that with proper top support for the cylinders 1000 wouldn't be unrealistic. Guess i'm overestimating cast aluminum, though personally I won't completely throw the idea out until I've seen someone try and fail.

oh, & Hazim- the MT-82 is basically the same as in the 5.0s. It's not terribly reliable above the 600-700 horsepower mark. Built MT-82's and Tremec swaps are an option. Our rear end is basically the same as the 5.0s and can handle the same sort of abuse. 1000 starts pushing it, but the 8.8 can hold up. Realistically you end up doing a lot of the same work you'd have to to with a different platform in terms of drivetrain/chassis/suspension. Honestly outside of the engine compartment there aren't many differences between a 3.7 and a 5.0

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigalsixer View Post
1) I like the sound of the v6
2) quite a bit more torque out of 4.7 liters
3) of course it's more economical to use a v8, it'd be more economical to use a small block chevy if that's all we gave a **** about. Fortunately some people have other priorities, they pave the way, and they make things economical for the people who only care about cost to performance

I'm getting really sick of hearing "it's cheaper to use a v8"

can we, as a forum, establish that yes it is and most of us don't care?
I wasn't trying to start a argument. I have a V6, too, but if I was hunting for 4-digit HP numbers, I'd start with a V8. It's an easier starting point.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page