I wonder if 1000 hp is possible with the 3.7? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

I wonder if 1000 hp is possible with the 3.7?

Have you seen this 1000hp Hyundai Genesis?

Meet the 1,000bhp Hyundai Genesis - BBC Top Gear

Looks horrendously ugly, but they do manage to produce 1000hp from their 3.8 L V6. Pretty impressive I'd say, even though the motor is fully built.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

If you have money, anything is possible...

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That's pretty impressive. AS it stands I'm not sure if the 3.7 can reach those power levels... solo was trying to get there and he gave up on his car. He was the closest to producing massive numbers out of the 3.7

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
That's pretty impressive. AS it stands I'm not sure if the 3.7 can reach those power levels... solo was trying to get there and he gave up on his car. He was the closest to producing massive numbers out of the 3.7
Solo didn't go as far as these people did.

They completely rebuilt the Genesis engine adding all new pistons, connecting rods, and cam shaft.

Add to the Mustang 3.7 what they added to the Genesis and I bet we could get close.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

Its too bad that nobody has tried something like this with our cars at SEMA. You'd think some company out there would do it just to have the bragging rights or just simply for the challenge.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
PONY Member

If you have the money you can have the 3.7 engine block made of billet aluminum with full water jackets and nicasil liners, get a billet steel stroker crank made, titanium connecting rods and forged pistons, have billet cams made, titanium valve-train components and ported heads, a hogan sheet metal intake manifold and a pair of turbos that would probably blow 1600hp through the thing. The list of things required would be enormous, but you could end up with an engine that displaces over 4 liters and spins happily to 8500 rpm.

Of course you'd be talking $9,000 for just the engine block. Probably that much again for the rotating assembly. More than that for the turbo set up. Another $3500+ for the manifold. So on and so forth.

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Its too bad that nobody has tried something like this with our cars at SEMA. You'd think some company out there would do it just to have the bragging rights or just simply for the challenge.
I think people tend to gravitate more towards the middle to higher end of each model.

They'd prefer starting at the 5.0 or higher, just like this this Genesis. Theres not big companies taking on the 2.0t like they do the 3.8.

We do have CFM breaking into the 10s at least lol
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigalsixer View Post
If you have the money you can have the 3.7 engine block made of billet aluminum with full water jackets and nicasil liners, get a billet steel stroker crank made, titanium connecting rods and forged pistons, have billet cams made, titanium valve-train components and ported heads, a hogan sheet metal intake manifold and a pair of turbos that would probably blow 1600hp through the thing. The list of things required would be enormous, but you could end up with an engine that displaces over 4 liters and spins happily to 8500 rpm.

Of course you'd be talking $9,000 for just the engine block. Probably that much again for the rotating assembly. More than that for the turbo set up. Another $3500+ for the manifold. So on and so forth.
That made me pop a woodie. Lol just kidding but that sounds like a monster of an engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
That made me pop a woodie. Lol just kidding but that sounds like a monster of an engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Realistically this engine has at least the power to displacement capability of the coyote, unfortunately I don't have a hundred thousand dollars laying around to prove it lol

PONY Member

I am shooting to start at 500 rwhp with my build, it has a new block, rods, pistons, ARP stuff, a form of sheet metal intake, perhaps with stock base, Jenvey base or complete custom base (waiting on that info), for the valve train we are upping spring pressure, the heads flow enough for my goals. Car is also getting a built auto and Circle D convertor and will be running on E85. My turbo maxes out right at 680 hp so that should give me enough headroom to get close to 600 rear wheel when the engine is broken in.

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
PONY Member

oh, somewhat relevant, if anyone aims to hit the 1000hp mark with a procharger, the bracket assembly and procharger head units can be purchased individually at brute speed. The f1a should be basically a direct swap for fitting the bracket and piping. Anything bigger would require at least different intake and intercooler piping

PONY Member

I actually like the looks of it.

As for parts for our cars we are getting close to having most all the parts needed to make this happen with our 3.7.

My car is going back together soon and we will be hitting it again. Hopefully third time is a charm. Lol

Heres a picture of my piston that kissed the valves. No big damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	269874  
PONY Member

And this time its not being built for the street. Im going to be running an open 3.5" downpipe and an open 1.5" wastegate. Boost will be in the 20# range on E85. We'll start looking at building an intake if we pop the stocker. I still dont think cams are needed to make 700-800 rwhp on the 3.7. Maybe if your looking for 1000rwhp but your getting close to the limits of the stock block at those levels.
PONY Member

I have a customer that is a Jenvey dealer and can get the runners in a few days, my machinest has had my stock lower intake for three weeks now and says he has completed a base for a sheet metal intake, fuel rails are done, runner material is here, metal spinning shop we use is making some trumpets for me, and my sheet metal fab buddy is on board to fab a plenum. Intake will either be 100% sheet metal, Jenvey based with sheet metal plenum or worse case a sheet metal upper on the stock lower... Still waiting for rods and pistons, should have that update tomorrow.

I don't see any reason except perhaps block strength that would stop someone from making 1000 hp from a 3.7 Mustang 6, several GTR customers are approaching 1200, one guy stops by here on his way to the track and runs 9.30's, it's a crazy ride with the awd. I have no interest in it for a street car, have driven /owned a 1400 rwhp Mustang before and it has no place on the street, once you cross the 600 hp mark it gets real hard to find traction, things happen fast and curbs, walls & city buses are unforgiving .

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"
Banned

Good to see you back at it, Solo. Any particular reason you decided to give it another shot?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page