Clutch pedal engagement at the floor during high RPM shifts normal? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy Clutch pedal engagement at the floor during high RPM shifts normal?

Hello everyone, i recently purchased a 2012 mustang V6 and the clutch pedal seems to engage very low during spirited driving. The engagement point basically drops to the floor if i shift anywhere above 5k RPM.

I have been driving manual cars since i got my license and my acura also had a dual mass FW but i never experienced this problem even after 100's of quarter mile passes.

Now the mustang has never seen the track (nor will it) but i dont think a car with 23,000 miles should have pressure plate issues like this.

My dealer said they couldnt replicate it/that it's a normal characteristic and my mustang is made for daily driving and not high RPM shifts.

Could it be the master/slave cyl? If that's the issue i will just replace it myself.

Does your car do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I should say that ford and Deysha are helping me to the best of their abilities but there is only so much they can do if the dealer claims no problems.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

The dealer is wrong. There is nothing normal about the engagement point changing because of spirited driving. Besides, if it wasn't meant for high rpm shifting why doesn't it redline at 3400rpm?

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
Rookie

Is your brake fluid low or dirty?
If it is this my add to the problem.

Good Luck and hope its nothing major.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
Grimace427

The brake and clutch fluid need to be flushed to rule out the possibility of air or contaminated fluid. The clutch shares a fluid reservoir with the brakes.

As for performance upgrades, a stainless clutch line and removing the assist spring on the clutch pedal also improve feel during spirited driving.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheeMc View Post
Hello everyone, i recently purchased a 2012 mustang V6 and the clutch pedal seems to engage very low during spirited driving. The engagement point basically drops to the floor if i shift anywhere above 5k RPM.

I have been driving manual cars since i got my license and my acura also had a dual mass FW but i never experienced this problem even after 100's of quarter mile passes.

Now the mustang has never seen the track (nor will it) but i dont think a car with 23,000 miles should have pressure plate issues like this.

My dealer said they couldnt replicate it/that it's a normal characteristic and my mustang is made for daily driving and not high RPM shifts.

Could it be the master/slave cyl? If that's the issue i will just replace it myself.
You're more than welcome to get a second opinion by a different Ford Dealer, pheeMc. Let me know what they say.

Deysha
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

The fluid is 1/8th inch below the factory MAX line so it is not leaking. I do not think there is air in the lines.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013
PONY Member

Check around for the mt-82 threads.... there are many fixes for this issue. It is fairly common, but not so much at as low of RPM's as you are mentioning.... Mine used to stick 1/4 of the way down at 6800+ RPM's.... there is a clutch line replacement, fluid replacement, fluid additive, and Tremec swap. Most of the threads are in the 5.0 forum.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasinedward View Post
Check around for the mt-82 threads.... there are many fixes for this issue. It is fairly common, but not so much at as low of RPM's as you are mentioning.... Mine used to stick 1/4 of the way down at 6800+ RPM's.... there is a clutch line replacement, fluid replacement, fluid additive, and Tremec swap. Most of the threads are in the 5.0 forum.
Thanks for the advice. i will look into the clutch line replacement. I dont want to swap my entire transmission. Has anyone upgraded the PP and solved this issue?
Rookie

I was having issues with mine. Between three dealerships one said it needed a clutch which i told them to pack sand. The next found the master cylinder leaking and replaced it. I was still having issues of clutch engagement and hard shifting. the Third dealer took the tranny out for me under warranty and found the slave cylinder/throw-out bearing in pieces. Also the pressure plate bolts were loose which there's is a TSB for.

2011 3.7L MT, Magnaflow Competition Axle Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page