tune or CAI? thoughts? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

tune or CAI? thoughts?

I'm not sure where to put my money first. I want to get a Bama tune, but also I'm scoping out the Airaid CAI. the CAI is obviously cheaper, but if i go with that, i have to wait quite a long time for a tune.

I'm leaning towards the tune..

thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I can't see your signature from my tablet. If you have an auto do a tune. If you have a manual go for CAI.

If you plan to do more mods your going to need the tuner eventually most likely. So maybe its worth getting 1st regardless. Up to you in the end

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
Apprentice

You can always get the tuner and CAI kit from American Muscle.

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
Apprentice

Joe, he stated he only has enough money now to do one or the other. CAI will give you something to look at when you pop the hood and will yield some power until you can purchase your tuner.

11 AT 3.7 BBK ceramic LT. ORX w/res. Borla S. BBK TB. Roush CAI. Bama 93R. 2:73 candy red w/black. Saddle int.
14 MT82 3.7 Performance Package GHIG 3.31gear. Stock.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
Rookie

Well the CAI does look nicer under the hood, and yeild around a 12 horse gain, but the tuner would give you better gas mileage and also a preformance boost saving you money quicker for your CAI. Id go with the tuner.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
Apprentice

From what I have read I would go with the tune, hands down. You may decide to swap gears in the future and the tune would be needed anyway. Just remember if you do a tune, under warranty and you have problems the dealer can tell if you have been in the on board computer. So I would suspect any engine issues, or transmission issue if you have an auto might be tough to get work done under warranty.

2014 GT Premium, Ruby Red, 6speed, 3:73 gears, 1969 Sportsroof Performance Red.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
GT Member

I say save a bit more and buy both. Get the tuner and buy a cheap ebay CAI. Those are like 50 bucks. No need for the 150+ CAI. Theyre pretty much all the same.

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
PONY Member

I went just an AirRaid CAI, Throttle response and pickup in higher rpms are noticeable. The Tuner will yield the same max hp gains, BUT you get power throughout the powerband. Plus any other additional mods can be more effective with the tuner in the future. The CAI does sound nice though!

Not all CAIs will be the same, buy an ebay knock off and see what you get. I spent around $250 for my CAI, but the fitment is great and it looks great. Theres more that goes into a CAI then just a tube and air filter.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cai

hmm, i'm not about to throw a cheap ebay CAI into my car. I hear the aluminum piping just turns it into a "hot air intake" and i think that would be more of a compromise to my engine than running a tune. also referencing the warranty statement, i have a manual and i heard running a tune doesn't void your warranty? also the tuner has an option to set back to stock, so then how would the dealer presume it's been altered in any way?

How does the tuner increase MPG if it also increases performance? wouldn't MORE performance mean a decline in mpg?

i'm addressing multiple replies in one reply, since it saves me time
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

More performance doesn't always mean lower MPG. A CAI and tune allows the engine to run more efficiently increasing your MPG.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteP0ny View Post
hmm, i'm not about to throw a cheap ebay CAI into my car. I hear the aluminum piping just turns it into a "hot air intake" and i think that would be more of a compromise to my engine than running a tune. also referencing the warranty statement, i have a manual and i heard running a tune doesn't void your warranty? also the tuner has an option to set back to stock, so then how would the dealer presume it's been altered in any way?

How does the tuner increase MPG if it also increases performance? wouldn't MORE performance mean a decline in mpg?

i'm addressing multiple replies in one reply, since it saves me time
Ford doesn't differentiate between manual and autos when it comes to their position on warranty claims on tuned cars. A tune for an auto car alters the transmission computer in addition to the engine computer, so you have more stuff for Ford to cry fowl on if you had a warranty issue.

If you were to have a major mechanical breakage in the drivetrain, Ford can scan the ECM and see that the system has been reflashed, even when you return to stock tuning. If you burn up a piston, Ford will likely blame the tune for altering fueling parameters and causing the issue.

If you are afraid of warranty issues, skip the tune for now and get the CAI. You will get some extra power at high rpm, improved throttle response down low, and extra groan when you get on it. Tuning will do more to increase power, and both work really well together.

You can make more power from an engine and it can be more efficient. You just can't use that extra power and expect to use less fuel.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
Rookie

What about those cheap power chips that trick your EFI?

Here's one I found after a quick search: Ford Mustang

Maybe this has been addressed before on the Forum?

2014 Mustang V6 Premium w/Pony and Comfort Packages. White w/Light Stone interior.

(The Coyote was tempting, but I already have a hot rod!)

1968 Chevelle, 383ci SBC, tri-power, 4-speed, longtubes, Magnaflows.
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteP0ny View Post
I'm not sure where to put my money first. I want to get a Bama tune, but also I'm scoping out the Airaid CAI. the CAI is obviously cheaper, but if i go with that, i have to wait quite a long time for a tune.

I'm leaning towards the tune..

thoughts?
Wait, save your money and then get them both at the same time with a CAI/Tuner combo deal at American Muscle!

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaV6 View Post
I went just an AirRaid CAI, Throttle response and pickup in higher rpms are noticeable. The Tuner will yield the same max hp gains, BUT you get power throughout the powerband. Plus any other additional mods can be more effective with the tuner in the future. The CAI does sound nice though!

Not all CAIs will be the same, buy an ebay knock off and see what you get. I spent around $250 for my CAI, but the fitment is great and it looks great. Theres more that goes into a CAI then just a tube and air filter.
Isnt a cai JUST a filter air tube?

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newponyboy04 View Post
Isnt a cai JUST a filter air tube?
Well that depends on the brand and construction...
Some are noting more than a straight tube with a cone filter. (I find it hard to call these "cold" air intakes)
Others use the stock ducting that grabs cooler air from the lower front of the grill to actually give it a chance to get colder denser air.
Main goal is to allow more volume of (hopefully cooler) air flow with less restriction than stock air box/filter...

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page