2011+ 3.7: 3.55's + Lone Wolf + JLT+ BBK + MPT - INCREDIBLE Combination! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

2011+ 3.7: 3.55's + Lone Wolf + JLT+ BBK + MPT - INCREDIBLE Combination!

Well...I made the switch from Bama to MPT. Although I will miss the free tunes for life, and Bama worked diligently with data logs to help me take full advantage of my Lone Wolf Performance ported upper and lower intakes, BBK 73mm throttle body, and JLT CF CAI, it was MPT who pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

My pony is nothing short of an absolute beast now! Complete transformation!

1. Gobs of low-end and mid range torque that was not there before, and it continues all the way up.

2. Improved top end HP.

3. Crisp acceleration, almost as if the 19's were traded for smaller, lighter wheels and almost as if the driveshaft were traded for an aluminum piece. VERY responsive tune!

4. New traction problems now because of the added power...

Mild, but still enough that I have to re-learn the car. Traction control will remain on for now. Much more tire slippage on launch, and continued slippage throughout the gears at WOT. There's just that much more torque. I'm tempted to buy a UCA now, to supplement the LCA's. I need larger contact patch (wider tires) now, and probably a softer compound too.

5. She does not like to be civil anymore. 1st gear is nearly pointless, as I have to slip the clutch a bit more than I did before, if I want to "granny" away from a signal or a stop sign. She just wants to lurch forward and that's all there is to it. As master Yoda would say, "Do or do not. There is no try." That's the way 1st behaves now. As I said before, GOBS more low and mid range torque!

6. FUN like I've never had in this car before! It's been a few days and I still get a rush of adrenaline just driving to work.

I've read the praises of Steeda and Lund tunes, but honestly I do not see that either of those could top MPT by mail. Perhaps they could with enough data logging, but I am convinced they would have to have the car in person, to be able to fine tune it and dredge any additional power. The change is just that dramatic!

I do not regret spending $75 for an MPT tune one single bit!

Here it is, 4:17 AM and I am chomping at the bit to leave the house for work in a few hours! My adrenaline is pumping already. I truthfully had no idea this little pony had that much left in her.

Here's to you MPT!!!
And to you Lone Wolf!!!
And to you BBK!
And to you JLT!
And to you Shelby America!

Remember folks, it's not any one component, but the car as a whole. And man, MPT knows how to put it all together!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
PONY Member

You need to got to 'Therapy' .
I've been telling you guys to give MPT tunes a try for a long time
I took my wife for a ride in 'Little Red' (my Mustangs Name) a few weeks ago. I got on it, the force was so great she hurt her hip. She healed up in a couple days but i'm happy "Little Red' has to power to do something like that........

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
Banned

This is what I've been saying!

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
PONY Member

I would love to see what a dyno run would reveal about how the car makes power now. I'm glad you are having that much fun with your car. It sure is fun to have a car that responds so well to modifications.

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jlawrence613
Bought MPT tunes a while ago. Thought it felt better just by seat of the pants... confirmed that when I knocked 3 tenths off my personal best with no other changes besides tune. Never looked back. I still have so much more left in the car mod wise. Throttle Body, Ported Intakes, Full exhaust, driveshaft. I love it.

Grabber Blue 2011 V6 Premium A6 Coupe Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, BBK Longtube Headers w/ O/R Xpipe, Steeda CAI, Dynomax 2.5" Ultra Flo Catback, Boss302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 '10 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555 Next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Al Driveshaft, . Styling: 15% Tint, Black Spoiler, Decklid Panel, & Grille Surround. Chin Spoiler, Hood Spears

Best to Date - 13.212 @ 105.79 - Uncorrected
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Next up for me (after suspension) is ceramic coated shorty headers and a driveshaft. Not really anything else I can toss on in the form of bolt-on's that I can afford.

3 tenths is quite a drop for only a tune! But you know, after what I'm experiencing now, I have absolutely no doubt of that!

As much as I'd love to have a dyno just for curiosity's sake, I really don't need one at all. The fun factor is firmly established! That's all I need!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

MPT tunes have great butt dyno stories but the times I have seen at the track were no better than my steeda tune.

Maybe if someone goes to the track with the MPT tune and traps a 83 mph in the 1/8th with just a t/I/e and I will make the switch.

I'm glad your enjoying your car more though. All these success stories do make me want to try MPT very bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
MPT tunes have great butt dyno stories but the times I have seen at the track were no better than my steeda tune.

Maybe if someone goes to the track with the MPT tune and traps a 83 mph in the 1/8th with just a t/I/e and I will make the switch.

I'm glad your enjoying your car more though. All these success stories do make me want to try MPT very bad.

Yeah, I've heard great things about Steeda. If your butt dyno experience is anything like mine (or if you actually have a real dyno sheet), you might not want an MPT tune. Can't blame you. Gotta stick with what makes you happy, no doubt.

I could tell mine had more to give since the performance after the ported intakes and TB seemed considerably less than others were reporting, even after two tune adjustments. I began to think the reports were just hype, until I decided to switch tuners. Now I know the real story.

I'm like you now. I see no need to switch, as I am convinced she doesn't have that much more to give. Pretty sure at this point I'd have to track her and get a professional dyno/tune adjustment to drag any more out of her.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

To this day, I still feel like there is a big piece of the puzzle we are missing. How is it that MPT makes better tunes than bama right off the bat, no datalogging necessary, after bama has been doing this from the start with tons of testing and way more customers? MPT does all kinds of vehicles, yet bama specializes in our mustangs. Why does it take 15 revisions of a bama tune just to get close to MPT level performance? All signs and logic points to bama being the best mail order tuner, hands down. They have the experience, the testing, the money, and the huge customer base.

This leads me to believe bama thinks MPT's tuning style isn't safe for our car or something. Otherwise, why would they not tune balls to the wall like MPT?

To the OP, the fact that you still feel such a huge difference with a manual with MPT over a datalogged bama tune is incredible. How long did it take you to get the tune, and what all did you ask for in the comments? Did you call or use the internet form?

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
To the OP, the fact that you still feel such a huge difference with a manual with MPT over a datalogged bama tune is incredible. How long did it take you to get the tune, and what all did you ask for in the comments? Did you call or use the internet form?
I sent MPT the same data log I sent to Bama. MPT told me that after writing the tune, their 91P tune (the one they sent me) was essentially the same as Bama's 91R (the one I was using), but that they made some "minor" adjustments. No idea what those minor adjustments were, but they made a major difference. It has me shrugging with a big question mark.

I used the internet form and the remarks column at the bottom of the form, followed by an email to their sales department with a copy of the data log attached. Sales forwarded it to their Tech department almost immediately and Tech responded within a few short minutes, with an extra question or two. The tuning process took two days, I think.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

So you're saying you sent MPT a datalog you took while you were running bama tunes? I may do what you did and see if I get something better from MPT than my 3-datalog 93H bama tune.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
GT Member

I'm loving my MPT! Both the regular and ghost cam! I can easily get sideways even with my upgraded tires and almost a whole new suspension..and that's not even at times from a dead stop. Goes to show how much power the tune is actually delivering!

GRABBER BLUE 2012 Mustang Coupe V6 Premium|Pony Package*

Performance: Airaid Intake, SCT SF3 Tuner, BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers, LethalPerformance O/R H-Pipe, FRPP Sport Axle-backs, JLT Oil Separator, DriveShaftShop Aluminum Driveshaft.
Suspension: Boss 302 Strut Brace, Steeda: Chrome Moly LCA's, Adj.UCA, Adj.Panhard bar, Ultra-Lite Springs, Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, Heavy-Duty Caster Camber Plates & Trunk X-Brace.
Wheels/Tires: Staggered 19" Forgestar Wheels with Nitto Invo Tires.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The things you guys describe with MPT I can already do with my steeda tune, which makes me hesitant to get MPT.

There is still a part of me that believes MPT knows something the others don't, mainly with part throttle ti-VCT cam timing that might make my car faster.

But You guys couldn't get sideways before the MPT even with multiple data logs to BAMA?

I've sent Gus from Steeda 2 datalogs ever and just today the tires lost traction for a good 2 seconds on the 1-2 shift at 3/4 throttle shifting at 4k rpm. I dont know how much of that is the midpipe and headers or the tune but it seems weird some guys are saying they can't lose traction at all in their cars with the BAMA tune.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
So you're saying you sent MPT a datalog you took while you were running bama tunes?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRABBER3.7L View Post
I'm loving my MPT! Both the regular and ghost cam! I can easily get sideways even with my upgraded tires and almost a whole new suspension..and that's not even at times from a dead stop. Goes to show how much power the tune is actually delivering!
That's why I'm keeping traction control on. :p I don't want to get sideways unless I'm trying to.

Still kicking around the idea of having a ghost cam added to this tune. I've heard bad things about it (fuel consumption and catalytic killer), but I haven't come across any solid information other than opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
The things you guys describe with MPT I can already do with my steeda tune, which makes me hesitant to get MPT.

There is still a part of me that believes MPT knows something the others don't, mainly with part throttle ti-VCT cam timing that might make my car faster.

But You guys couldn't get sideways before the MPT even with multiple data logs to BAMA?

I've sent Gus from Steeda 2 datalogs ever and just today the tires lost traction for a good 2 seconds on the 1-2 shift at 3/4 throttle shifting at 4k rpm. I dont know how much of that is the midpipe and headers or the tune but it seems weird some guys are saying they can't lose traction at all in their cars with the BAMA tune.

I could get sideways with Bama. No problem. But I wasn't trying to get sideways or burn out (I could do that too), I was trying to get quicker. They got me to a certain point (much better than stock for sure), but then they hit a wall. MPT got me over that wall.

From what I've been reading lately, it seems that MPT, Steeda and Lund mail tunes are probably close enough to being on par with each other that you might not need to change. Bama, as great as they have been and still are, seem to be bringing up the rear.
PONY Member

A member named Bu Jacoub from Kuwait had his Mustang on a dyno. He said the A/F ratio was perfect with his MPT tune. I was happy to have heard that because the air/fuel mixture is very important.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page