What gears to choose - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281racered3.7 View Post
I heard shorter tires will help improve gearing, but I was wondering will it make gas milage go down further when paired with 3.73 gears or will it stay the same or even improve?
Your highway gas mileage will decrease. I'm not sure about city driving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I heard shorter tires will help improve gearing, but I was wondering will it make gas milage go down further when paired with 3.73 gears or will it stay the same or even improve?
Again, as has been already stated by others. Any gearing that increases RPM's at highway speeds WILL burn more fuel. In stop and go driving, its a different story as when going through the gears the added torque multiplication and mechanical advantage of a lower gear ratio will allow the engine to work less, to move the car.
Bottom line ? How you use the car will determine which gearing is best , for you personally.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Apprentice

Sorry let me clear it up, I understand going to 3.73 from 2.73 will burn more fuel but I was trying to ask would there be a difference between 3.73 gears with a certain tire height compared to a shorter tire height with the same 3.73 gears in terms of gas milage since shorter tires increase the gearing? Sorry I'moa noob lol

2013 3.7 mustang auto.
Mods: magnaflow catback- 20% tint- roush upper grille- AM billet lower grill- gt500 rear spoiler-jlt oil seperator- boss 302 strut tower brace- SVE drift wheels 19x9.5 on nitto nt555 275/35/19- 3.73's- ebay paddle shifters
》MPT tuned 93race《

MACH I Member

Quote:
Sorry let me clear it up, I understand going to 3.73 from 2.73 will burn more fuel but I was trying to ask would there be a difference between 3.73 gears with a certain tire height compared to a shorter tire height with the same 3.73 gears in terms of gas milage since shorter tires increase the gearing? Sorry I'moa noob lol
A shorter tire will increase torque multiplication a little, so in turn your highway mileage will decrease.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Banned

My commute mileage stayed the same at 22, I get 28 on the highway at 70-75.
Apprentice

You can't go wrong with 3.73s, of I'm not mistaken gt has 3.31s stock, and personally, I don't think it'd quite enough

Black 2013 5.0L GT 6M: BBP, HIDs, 20" AMR (285s in back, 255s up front), mostly stock.. for now -15% Tint
(SOLD) Black 2010 4.6L GT 5M: SCT Handheld Tuner - Eibach Sportline Springs-Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust-Hurst Competition Plus Shifter -JLT 3 Series CAI-3.73 FRPP Gears-BMR LCAs & Relo Brackets
-10in Matte Black GT500 Stripes/Roush Front Bumper
(SOLD) White 1999 3.8L V6 4A: MAC Long Tube Headers-Offroad H-Pipe-2.5" Duals-SVT Cobra Wheels
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
You also have 85 limits on the I-20 south (well, west) of Odessa and the I-10 west of San Antonio, until a little east of El Paso. I drove both routes in July. Strangely had no desire to crack the speed limit. 85 was perfect!
I wish I lived here...

Black 2013 5.0L GT 6M: BBP, HIDs, 20" AMR (285s in back, 255s up front), mostly stock.. for now -15% Tint
(SOLD) Black 2010 4.6L GT 5M: SCT Handheld Tuner - Eibach Sportline Springs-Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust-Hurst Competition Plus Shifter -JLT 3 Series CAI-3.73 FRPP Gears-BMR LCAs & Relo Brackets
-10in Matte Black GT500 Stripes/Roush Front Bumper
(SOLD) White 1999 3.8L V6 4A: MAC Long Tube Headers-Offroad H-Pipe-2.5" Duals-SVT Cobra Wheels
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastofthe4.6s View Post
You can't go wrong with 3.73s, of I'm not mistaken gt has 3.31s stock, and personally, I don't think it'd quite enough

The 5.0's also come with 3.73's as an option. They don't come with 2.73's though.
Banned

My old 2003 GT came with 3.27's, stock. I had every bolt on for that car but the heads, cams and intake were untouched. I only managed 266rwhp and 309rwtq - with the factory tune. I eventually got 4.10's for it and frankly, I wasn't impressed. Which is why I've been so reluctant to get gears for my 2012.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I guarantee 3.55's or 3.73's will knock your socks off compared to the 2.73's. Acceleration is vastly improved and you won't get that 1st gear hesitation when you attempt to launch from a stop.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
My old 2003 GT came with 3.27's, stock. I had every bolt on for that car but the heads, cams and intake were untouched. I only managed 266rwhp and 309rwtq - with the factory tune. I eventually got 4.10's for it and frankly, I wasn't impressed. Which is why I've been so reluctant to get gears for my 2012.
The gears don't effect the torquey 4.6 as much as the high revving 3.7.

Max torque came in around 3000 rpm on your 4.6 right? Ran out of steam around 5800 rpm? You getting to higher rpms quicker wasn't as crucial because your power band was in the midrange. The 3.7 makes its peak power at close to 7k rpm. The gears help put the smaller high revving engine into its powerband much better. The 4.6's powerband is down low and therefore gears won't be as dramatic on a engine like that.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Banned

Perhaps that might be the case. Either way, I have a window of time and $$ to spend on this car and I'm progressively considering staying naturally aspirated. At that rate, I'm thinking I'll go with 4.10's again if I do end up going down that road. Or, I'll suck it up and buy a ProCharger and go with 3.73's.

The reality of it is, I don't care at all for 1/4 mile times nor do I pick on folks on the street anymore, as I did when I was younger. I've got so much to lose these days by driving like a retard. I'm military and I'm in a sensitive position. One lame brain move will take all of that away. Which is why I opted for a V6 in the first place - to have a lower ceiling per given dollar on the amount of power I'd have on tap. When I return home and I have all that play money, decisions will need to be made and I don't have a convincing argument to have yet another boosted car under my belt.

Maybe staying N/A with 4.10's would be more enjoyable on this particular platform.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Max torque came in around 3000 rpm on your 4.6 right? Ran out of steam around 5800 rpm? You getting to higher rpms quicker wasn't as crucial because your power band was in the midrange. The 3.7 makes its peak power at close to 7k rpm. The gears help put the smaller high revving engine into its powerband much better. The 4.6's powerband is down low and therefore gears won't be as dramatic on a engine like that.
And to answer your question, that's about right. I think my max torque was somewhere around 3600 and my max hp came right at 5800. Although it didn't really drop off to hard after that. I think I'd spin it to 6200. I had Eibach drag springs, Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors, Lakewood 90/10's for the front and 50/50's for the rear. Along with some UMI lift bars and Steeda LCA's. With 315 BFG drag radials, the car would still spin profusely. When it actually did hook off the line, I'd still manage to lose traction from 1-2 and 2-3. Which didn't make for a very enjoyable driving experience.

It sounded fantastic but, ultimately, it wasn't a very fast car. I think the fastest I ever managed to get that thing down the track was [email protected]~103-104. But this was back in 2004 so, my memory of those years isn't the clearest.

From a roll, this car seems just as capable with just the mods it has. I'm just afraid that getting gears will result in displeasure.
Apprentice

is it hard to install gears your self? how much would it cost to do it at a shop?
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazim17 View Post
is it hard to install gears your self? how much would it cost to do it at a shop?
The dealership quoted me around $400-450 plus the cost of parts, but I was going to provide the parts myself.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page