What gears to choose - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

What gears to choose

I have a 2014 V6 auto, with stock 2.73 gears. i want to switch them to either 3.31s or 3.73s. what is the fuel economy range with each, and what is the quarter mile difference. i just want a little more get up and go, so i can continue beating my friend in his 04 GT with out sacrificing to much fuel economy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
Rookie
Classic Member

What gears to choose

Hi, there is some difference between the 3:30 gear range and the 3:73s but a couple of mags posted articles several years ago about testing the GT Mustangs with 3:55s and 3:73s in a 1/4 mile and there were no differences in times. This is understandable as they are so close. About the only way you would see a difference is if you had the gears in a Nascar car and at 150 to 180 mph you would possibly see a slight difference in one car over another with the different gears. But, since Nascar tells you which gears are allowed I don't see that happening. At least the last I heard all the gearing was chosen by Nascar.
Anyway, back to your car. The change from the stock gears to the 3:30s would be a very nice change for you without hurting milage much. You will like the difference in the feel of the car as you depress the gas pedal. I don't think you would need 3:55s unless you want to be more aggressive. That's just my 2 cents worth. Mike.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerw225 View Post
I have a 2014 V6 auto, with stock 2.73 gears. i want to switch them to either 3.31s or 3.73s. what is the fuel economy range with each, and what is the quarter mile difference. i just want a little more get up and go, so i can continue beating my friend in his 04 GT with out sacrificing to much fuel economy.
Depends what you use the car for. 3:73's will certainly give you a V6 that will earn respect. And it might actually get better fuel mileage in stop and go city driving situations, but on the highway, you will burn more fuel . if you don't drive the car on a lot of long trips , going from 2:73 gears , to a lower gear ratio will definitely make the car perform better.Just keep in mind that a change from 2:73's to 3:73's will definitely burn lot more fuel on the highway. If fuel consumption is an issue, you might want to consider the 3:31's and maybe get a few bolt on mods like throttle bodies, and headers. They wont hurt your gas milage but will definitely wake the car up. And should get you in the ballpark, to match your friends 04 GT. Regardless if you are wanting decent performance, 2:73 gears just wont cut it, especially with a motor this small. Just a few thoughts.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
Apprentice

i actually happened to call AmericanMuscle.com recently about this. He recommended me to get 3.73 if i was really looking for the fastest gear possible on a daily driver. Anything above he said would be to much. From what i heard your gas mileage goes down 2-3 mpg but im not sure if that's just b/c people cant keep their feet off the pedal . plus a cai or tune or a tb would bring the mpg back up anyway.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
PONY Member

I went from the 2.73 to the 3.31. Highway mileage went from 31-32 down to 28-29. City driving saw an increase from around 19 to 21-22. ....and the pedal is pleasantly more responsive. IMHO the sound of the 3.55 and 3.73 RPMs would get tedious especially since I do alot of highway driving. With the 2.73's I could hear the engine lug on highway inclines. The 3.31's fixed that!

The RPMs for the 4 gear ratios at 70 mph are approx 1700, 2100, 2210, 2320.

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I lost about 3-4 freeway mpg moving from 2.73's to 3.55's. Consider our freeway speed limits here are between 70-75. Plenty of fun though, and I can get city mileage around 25 MPG with little effort. 3.73's would be the best in terms of fun, but too great of an MPG hit on my particular car, and I spend a lot of time on the open road.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
PONY Member

With my 3.73s I can get 28 MPG on the highway as long as I keep the RPMs at or below 2K which means 65 MPH. it seems the MPG go down above 2K RPMs. I do make quite a few road trips but considering I was use to 12-13 MPGs with my old Big Block I am quite happy with the 28. . Oh yeah, as far as performance I love chirping second and third.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
I lost about 3-4 freeway mpg moving from 2.73's to 3.55's. Consider our freeway speed limits here are between 70-75. Plenty of fun though, and I can get city mileage around 25 MPG with little effort. 3.73's would be the best in terms of fun, but too great of an MPG hit on my particular car, and I spend a lot of time on the open road.
WHHHAAAT 70-75? i wana be where your living! Around here its 55-60 max
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Texas we have 70-75 and even 85 on the 130 toll

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Depends what you use the car for. 3:73's will certainly give you a V6 that will earn respect. And it might actually get better fuel mileage in stop and go city driving situations, but on the highway, you will burn more fuel . if you don't drive the car on a lot of long trips , going from 2:73 gears , to a lower gear ratio will definitely make the car perform better.Just keep in mind that a change from 2:73's to 3:73's will definitely burn lot more fuel on the highway. If fuel consumption is an issue, you might want to consider the 3:31's and maybe get a few bolt on mods like throttle bodies, and headers. They wont hurt your gas milage but will definitely wake the car up. And should get you in the ballpark, to match your friends 04 GT. Regardless if you are wanting decent performance, 2:73 gears just wont cut it, especially with a motor this small. Just a few thoughts.
Stock for stock he should be faster than the 04 GT even with 2.73s. Can't tell you how many SN95 and New Edge owners in my stomping grounds have seen my tail lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazim17 View Post
WHHHAAAT 70-75? i wana be where your living! Around here its 55-60 max
55-60 in Dallas but everyone runs 80+ anyway. Cops don't even bat an eye in the metro area unless your running triple digits. 75 mph limit where I live though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Apprentice

Whaaaattttt you guys are so lucky.... If only....
Apprentice

I heard shorter tires will help improve gearing, but I was wondering will it make gas milage go down further when paired with 3.73 gears or will it stay the same or even improve?

2013 3.7 mustang auto.
Mods: magnaflow catback- 20% tint- roush upper grille- AM billet lower grill- gt500 rear spoiler-jlt oil seperator- boss 302 strut tower brace- SVE drift wheels 19x9.5 on nitto nt555 275/35/19- 3.73's- ebay paddle shifters
》MPT tuned 93race《
Apprentice

From what everyone is saying your city mileage increases and ur Highway decreases
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012v6Pony View Post
Texas we have 70-75 and even 85 on the 130 toll
You also have 85 limits on the I-20 south (well, west) of Odessa and the I-10 west of San Antonio, until a little east of El Paso. I drove both routes in July. Strangely had no desire to crack the speed limit. 85 was perfect!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page