FRPP Touring are Too Loud - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

FRPP Touring are Too Loud

I installed my new FRPP Touring mufflers two days ago. I picked them since they are reportedly the quietest quality aftermarket item.

They sound simply awesome rowing through the gears, not too loud or quiet, great high performance throaty tone. However they are too loud on the interstate. They get noticeably louder 2200-2800rpm, which with my 3.73 gearing, is 65-85mph. I guess I'm just too old, so the stock mufflers are going back on today.

They'll be posted for sale soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
GT Member

They will break in and get a little quieter at cruising. I felt the same way at first was annoyed on the highway. After 1000 or so miles quieted down.

I have have a stick with 2.73 gears and found it is louder in 5th and 6th at low rpm's around 2000, if you avoid the bad resonance rpm they are quiet even under load on the highway.

So what I try to do if I am on the highway with some traffic I don't let it get under 2500 rpm.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
PONY Member

Too loud is certainly subjective, but I have Borla Tourings installed (from what I gather, the same as the FRPP Touring) and I don't find them loud at all. No drone on the freeway, nothing objectionable to me at least, and I am running 3.73s also. I get more noise transmitted from my DS, but even prior to it's installation, I found the mufflers to just about perfect for my tastes.

Sorry they didn't work out.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I would give then more time. Mufflers will quiet down a little over time.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
PONY Member

Well if they are awfull I could probably find a use for them and take them off of your hands ... just kidding. From what I understand there isn't a quieter after market muffler and the Borla Touring's are a straight flow through design vs the FRPP touring's baffled design.

I know this sounds like an odd question, but you didn't get the ford racing mufflers intended for the GT's did you or maybe not get the clamps seated all the way to the over axle pipes? Those are both sources for noise. Just trying to help out.

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Theyre the right part, fit fine no leaks. The stockers are back on now
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

They are now listed in the for sale section with photos, thanks all.

I really loved the way they sounded when ripping around, but are just too loud for a daily driver for me. Considered trying just one but it wouldn't look right.

I'm taking a 4-hour interstate trip this weekend and the stock mufflers will be perfect for that. If only I could just push a button and switch between the two.....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
PONY Member

They do make electric exhaust bypass valves, just saying...

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

I don't think there's room underneath for two sets of mufflers. That would be an outstanding solution!
PONY Member

To each their own I guess. I run FRPP Sports and commute 50mi a day.

2012 Black MCA, HID package, Steeda splitter, Airaid cold air intake, AM Hood struts, FRPP Sport axle back, Soon : matching lower grille, MMD tailight surrounds and tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page