1/4 Mile MPT tune vs. Bama - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

So what did you run finally?

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Shhhhh, he is probably sleeping.

post #33 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I was able to get 5 runs in with both the bama tune first and then the MPT tune. Needless to say, I was disappointed in my times with both tunes.

I'll post up the full results some time tomorrow when I can sort through everything and voice my experience. The verdict is that MPT is the consistently quicker tune!

MPT Race Performance
60'-2.187
330-5.862
1/8- [email protected] 81.01
1/4- 13.707 @ 101.55

Bama 93H Datalogged
60'- 2.012
330-5.801
1/8-8.888 @ 79.64
1/4- 13.760 @ 100.45

As you can see, I did have a lot of traction problems with the MPT tune off the line. The MPT tune had me spinning about twice the distance of the bama tune, and 2nd gear nearly landed me sideways on the wall. The acceleration with the MPT tune off the line was SO aggressive, I could feel my rear end dipping down. It barked 1-2 and chirped 2-3 shifts. The tune had some problems however. For some reason, MPT was skipping gears. I was WOT and at the 2-3 shift in Drive, the MPT tune shifted me to 4th instead of 3rd. Then it shifted me back down to 3rd once the computer realized what the F was going on. That caused me to run a 14.768 @ 95. This happened to me test driving the tune before heading to the track as well. I was forced to complete the rest of my MPT runs by manually shifting, which worked fine.

The bama tune in contrast seemed to be much more composed and easier to control. Unfortunately, the shifting compared to MPT felt slow and relaxed. I definitely felt more power throughout the entire RPM range with MPT. When the bama tune shifts, it is almost as if power cuts out and then kicks back in slowly. MPT had continuous power flow throughout all the shifts.

Regarding both tunes, I had a ton of shift flaring. This may just be because I swapped the tunes. My car JUST got out the shop from 11-11-11 TSB with brand new solenoids yet it still flares stock or tuned. I'm not quite sure why it's still flaring, but it affected both MPT and bama (bama being affected worse).

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the info, look forward to the full report if you have more to offer. Also, what's shift flaring?

2012 Black V6 Coupe Auto 2.73
BAMA 93+ Race Tune, Magnaflow Comps, 3370lbs
SVT Drift 18", Nitto NT555
13.7 @100mph
post #35 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSound View Post
Thanks for the info, look forward to the full report if you have more to offer. Also, what's shift flaring?
Shift flaring is when your car goes to shift and the RPM's raise or "flare up" before they decrease into the next higher up gear.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
Shift flaring is when your car goes to shift and the RPM's raise or "flare up" before they decrease into the next higher up gear.
lol, double clutching the auto?

2012 Black V6 Coupe Auto 2.73
BAMA 93+ Race Tune, Magnaflow Comps, 3370lbs
SVT Drift 18", Nitto NT555
13.7 @100mph
Banned

Good to hear. Strange to hear about the transmission though, I've had tunes that do that also but not my MPT tune.

Funny how your MPT was worse in the 1/8 but ran it down.
Banned

Time was worse in the 1/8th because of traction issues at launch, it ran the Bama tune down because of power advantages- atleast that's what i'm seeing in that data...
PONY Member

Quote:
I was able to get 5 runs in with both the bama tune first and then the MPT tune. Needless to say, I was disappointed in my times with both tunes.

I'll post up the full results some time tomorrow when I can sort through everything and voice my experience. The verdict is that MPT is the consistently quicker tune!

MPT Race Performance
60'-2.187
330-5.862
1/8- [email protected] 81.01
1/4- 13.707 @ 101.55

Bama 93H Datalogged
60'- 2.012
330-5.801
1/8-8.888 @ 79.64
1/4- 13.760 @ 100.45

As you can see, I did have a lot of traction problems with the MPT tune off the line. The MPT tune had me spinning about twice the distance of the bama tune, and 2nd gear nearly landed me sideways on the wall. The acceleration with the MPT tune off the line was SO aggressive, I could feel my rear end dipping down. It barked 1-2 and chirped 2-3 shifts. The tune had some problems however. For some reason, MPT was skipping gears. I was WOT and at the 2-3 shift in Drive, the MPT tune shifted me to 4th instead of 3rd. Then it shifted me back down to 3rd once the computer realized what the F was going on. That caused me to run a 14.768 @ 95. This happened to me test driving the tune before heading to the track as well. I was forced to complete the rest of my MPT runs by manually shifting, which worked fine.

The bama tune in contrast seemed to be much more composed and easier to control. Unfortunately, the shifting compared to MPT felt slow and relaxed. I definitely felt more power throughout the entire RPM range with MPT. When the bama tune shifts, it is almost as if power cuts out and then kicks back in slowly. MPT had continuous power flow throughout all the shifts.

Regarding both tunes, I had a ton of shift flaring. This may just be because I swapped the tunes. My car JUST got out the shop from 11-11-11 TSB with brand new solenoids yet it still flares stock or tuned. I'm not quite sure why it's still flaring, but it affected both MPT and bama (bama being affected worse).
Despite MPT edging out the Bama tune, the results are very telling and confirm what many MPT tuned car owners are saying. Bama supposedly worked really hard and even posted in here how they worked a special tune for you, but the out of the box MPT tune still beat it. What happens after a couple MPT datalogs? Or maybe it's already optimized if Bama has worked their magic, getting close to the MPT numbers.
Apprentice

From what you guys are saying... the MPT tune sound quite dangerous . i dont want to be at a red light and then launch into the car next to me... i guess bama it is :/
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazim17 View Post
From what you guys are saying... the MPT tune sound quite dangerous . i dont want to be at a red light and then launch into the car next to me... i guess bama it is :/
LOL!

2013 3.7 mustang auto.
Mods: magnaflow catback- 20% tint- roush upper grille- AM billet lower grill- gt500 rear spoiler-jlt oil seperator- boss 302 strut tower brace- SVE drift wheels 19x9.5 on nitto nt555 275/35/19- 3.73's- ebay paddle shifters
》MPT tuned 93race《
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like you data-logged sent that to Bama as basis for the tune(s) you were returned... and then changed the car having the TSB done after the fact... Those solenoids obviously effect the transmissions shifting and as such bring the prior data logs into question.

IF you had data logged after the solenoid changes would Bama have been better than what you experienced? One could make a guess here...

In any experiment you have to have a control the "constant". You can't change things mid test (Like doing the TSB after the data logs)

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
Banned

Sounds good!

The last tune Ryan sent is very fast and firm on the shift..and I'm picky.

I talked to MPT a while back and they wanted more than $75 due to my stall converter low rpm shudder (common problem on a multi disc converter). Which is fine. I was thinking about a dyno tune with MPT but I'll wait and see what happens with JLP's tune first. On the Bama tune, I could tell he raised the line pressure in the transmission and it actually helped the low rpms cruise shudder, on top of the part throttle shift mph's being raised to keep me no lower than 1500 up in 4,5, and 6. That could use a little more tweaking to get those rpms higher. Just need the car to let go of those gears. Everything is great slowly speeding up...it's when you slow down, the rpms come down, then you slowly accel again and it hangs onto the gear pulling no lower than 1500 instead of downshifting to keep the rpms around 2k after lockup.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazim17 View Post
Keep the traction control on and you'll be fine.
post #45 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

So I went ahead and averaged all the timeslips for bama and MPT. Do take note that I did not launch off idle as I initially posted. I brake stalled to 2k RPM's, then floored it.

Bama Averages-
60'- 2.114
330- 5.967
1/8- 9.053 @ 79.62 mph
1/4- 13.93 @ 100.30 mph

MPT Averages-
60'- 2.1995
330-5.959
1/8-9.018 @ 80.76 mph
1/4-13.85 @ 101.72

The 1000 ft times were not given. It is clear to see that MPT is making the most power, but not by that much. Had I been using slicks or something other than stock suspension, I think MPT would have shined a lot more than it did. I do plan on giving MPT and bama both another chance to datalog and tune the car, however, those datalogs will be street datalogs, and not track datalogs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page