1/4 Mile MPT tune vs. Bama - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

The problem is simply that Bama guarantees their tunes. You burn a cylinder and you're running their tune (and have never run another brand) and they repair your engine. They can't afford to tune aggressively. And that's why they lock the options.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Rockett View Post
The problem is simply that Bama guarantees their tunes. You burn a cylinder and you're running their tune (and have never run another brand) and they repair your engine. They can't afford to tune aggressively. And that's why they lock the options.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
They don't offer that for the 3.7L, just the 5.0.

post #78 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Well the datalog I did of the MPT tune didn't show any abnormalities whatsoever. There was no knock and the afr looked great.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ok. But when I was driving mt GT the characteristics of the tunes toned way down after the guarantee took effect. Loss of power/torque, soft shifting - exactly what the 3.7 tune feels like. I'm just guessing, but I bet it's a corporate decision.

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.
post #80 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Rockett View Post
Ok. But when I was driving mt GT the characteristics of the tunes toned way down after the guarantee took effect. Loss of power/torque, soft shifting - exactly what the 3.7 tune feels like. I'm just guessing, but I bet it's a corporate decision.
If that's the case, I wish they would just come out and say it outright so we can all sleep better at night.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Just curious does Bama say why or give any explanation what so ever or they send the tune and that's it?

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #82 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Just curious does Bama say why or give any explanation what so ever or they send the tune and that's it?
The things I get from bama are usually one line emails along the lines of: "Made a few changes etc. Try this tune." or whenever I send datalogs it's, "I'll take a look at it."

They don't ever really acknowledge any of my requests directly or tell me exactly what they are changing or even whether or not they were able to address an issue.
I mean I sent at least a two page long email to bama giving them all the information I compiled from the trip I made to the track where I tested MPT vs bama. I gave them all the numbers, the feel of the tune, the comparisons, etc etc. Told them I'd send a log, and the only response was "I'll take a look." I'm sure they are busy and all, but I'd think a thought out paragraph of bama's interpretation regarding the MPT vs Bama times would be more appropriate.

Still no response from them.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Never a good sign when you get those robotic responses......at least lie to us and tell us "Good Luck".

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Rookie

Very good reading! Thanks for taking the time and doing this Blaseleblanc!
post #85 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

MPT finally sent me their tune revision based on the datalog. After first loading it up, the shifts were immediately noticed to be MUCH smoother and softer. No clunkiness or jerkiness whatsoever. That also means the shifts are a bit slower, especially WOT shifts which have a bit of a hang (the same issue I once had with bama tunes). I can appreciate the smoothness for daily driving, however. The power is slightly and I mean slightly improved over the first MPT tune. The main difference is the quality of power delivery and smoothness. The bama tune can't touch this tune. I don't think it ever will. After driving this weekend, it's feeling like the adaptive transmission is in harmony with what I want out of the car. This may change after I hit traffic this week, but as of right now, it's doing a pretty good job of predicting how I want to drive which is a big first.

At this point, I don't care if bama never gets back to me, as I'm 100% content using MPT's tune and this is getting too drawn out. It'll be a shame to remove the bama performance personalized placard from my strut tower bar and my OBDII cover.

PONY Member

I was so happy with the first MPT tune I got, I only datalogged out of curiosity, not dissatisfaction. I did have a lower hp/tq area around 2500-3000 rpm so when I mentioned it along with the datalog file, Mike cleared it up for me. I might do one more datalog just to be sure my afr is still pristine. I also like their process for datalogging since you can do it in the driveway and doesn't require you to potentially break any laws going WOT lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page