1/4 Mile MPT tune vs. Bama - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

1/4 Mile MPT tune vs. Bama

So this board has been a tug of war between people swapping from bama to MPT, with no one backing up the butt dyno with timeslips, so I took it upon myself to cure my own curiosity as well as some of you all. I'll be bringing my 2011 automatic to the track tomorrow to get some passes in with both a bama tune and an MPT tune. I spoke to Mike at MPT and ordered the MPT tune with the rush option in order to get it for tomorrow. Mike was an absolute pleasure to contact. He responded to emails almost instantly and was able to churn out a tune for me in a record 2 hours from when I submitted the form.

Right now I'm running a 93H tune from bama that has had 3 datalog revisions by Don. He did great work on the tune, but it still is nowhere near the claims people are making about MPT. (I actually heard someone say they chirp 3-4 with an MPT tune). Street-wise, it's pretty good. It actually held up a long time before it started getting soft, now the butt dyno is completely gone from it. I have never ran this datalogged tune at the track before so it will be my first run with a final revision bama tune and my mods. This is the "New 93H" style tune from bama that you all may have heard some members bragging on which supposedly gives MPT a run for their money.

The MPT tune I ordered was a 93 "Performance" with "Race" shifting. In the comments, I asked the tuner to tune for maximum power throughout the entire RPM range, and to be aggressive enough to chirp the tires (same thing I asked bama for). There were no datalogs exchanged yet, and so this will be a typical mail order tune.

My mods will consist of the tune being tested, an Airaid CAI, 3:73 gears, and an aluminum driveshaft. I'll be removing the spare from the back and launching off idle for both tunes with traction control off. I will be skipping the water box as well. I'll try to make 3 back to back passes with bama, then cool down and swap to MPT for 3 more runs. The best I have run in my car so far has been a 13.872 at 98.XX mph with my old unfinished 93H bama tune, 3:73's, stock driveshaft, and the AIRAID CAI.

If anyone else can think of any variables I need to consider in order to make this a fair comparison, or what they would like me to look for while I drive both tunes, please post. I want to make this as informative and unbiased as possible so we can really see who is making the most aggressive emailed tunes between bama or MPT.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
Banned

You might have traction issues with the mpt lol

post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollin24 View Post
You might have traction issues with the mpt lol
I'll take note of anything like that for sure and factor that into my review. I find it pretty difficult to lose straight line traction with my current bama 93H tune unless I am manually shifting it. Then I can get a little shuffle off the line on the street, and a 1-2 chirp at WoT. There are no chirps from a roll, and no chirps in any other gears. The car is always composed and easy to control unless I am flooring it while turning.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
To make it unbiased you should seriously do a couple passes with your setup as is and then re-flash your BAMA tune to have a clean fresh setup. As you point out the tunes seem to fade somewhat (wondering about adaptive trans shifting)

Thinking that just going from a tune that has been in for a while to a fresh "reset" tune may show improvement right there in and of itself.

Make a couple more passes and then swap to the MPT tune.

Assuming environmental conditions don't change people will usually get faster as they do more runs as well. Not too often you are going roll in and make your fastest pass of the night on your first run...

You said are running a BAMA 93H which is more than likely not going to be as aggressive as could be...
You have the guy at MPT make a tune going in knowing what you are going to try?
Seems kind of an unfair comparison... Kind of like having a "race" when the other person is not aware there is a race...

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012v6Pony View Post
To make it unbiased you should seriously do a couple passes with your setup as is and then re-flash your BAMA tune to have a clean fresh setup. As you point out the tunes seem to fade somewhat (wondering about adaptive trans shifting)

Thinking that just going from a tune that has been in for a while to a fresh "reset" tune may show improvement right there in and of itself.

Assuming environmental conditions don't change people will usually get faster as they do more runs as well. Not too often you are going roll in and make your fastest pass of the night on your first run...
Good point. I haven't loaded my MPT tune onto the tuner yet, but when I do I will need to return to stock while I swap tunes around and update the device. Afterwards, I will do a couple test drives of the MPT tune before heading out to the track to make sure it works. So in that respect, the bama tune will be loaded fresh (or as close to fresh as possible).

The bama tune already has the advantage of having 3 datalog sessions of info behind its logic, whereas MPT has none. Even still, many people say the first revision MPT is stronger than their datalogged bama tunes. I'm trying to do the same exact method of takeoff for every pass to eliminate me as a factor. Stage, then floor it and hold it to the floor. It may very well be that I spin more off the line doing that with the MPT tune, but that means to me it's making more power and proves the point of the aggressiveness people claim.

Regarding your last point, I covered all the bases with bama when making my current tune. The hybrid tune is without a doubt the most aggressive they offer, and they only offer it to us. When I sent the datalogs back and forth with Don, it was because I was very disappointed with my 1/4 mile times on my initial bama tune, so he knew the entire time exactly what I was looking for. When mailing in both my forms for the tunes, I put the same thing on both. If Mike at MPT interpreted what I wanted correctly and built a tune accordingly and bama didn't, then that says something about the quality of tuners at MPT vs. Bama, which is another point that needs to be discovered.

post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
Regarding your last point, I covered all the bases with bama when making my current tune. The hybrid tune is without a doubt the most aggressive they offer, and they only offer it to us. When I sent the datalogs back and forth with Don, it was because I was very disappointed with my 1/4 mile times on my initial bama tune, so he knew the entire time exactly what I was looking for. When mailing in both my forms for the tunes, I put the same thing on both. If Mike at MPT interpreted what I wanted correctly and built a tune accordingly and bama didn't, then that says something about the quality of tuners at MPT vs. Bama, which is another point that needs to be discovered.
Hmm odd they gave me 93 S, P, and R tunes (all open) which allows me to tweak them myself. I got my shift points nice and firm plus I avoid the flat spot in the higher RPMs shifting at 6850 being that I don't have headers (yet). (even gained about 2 mpg hwy LOL)
The front end definitely comes up on every shift whenever I'm 3/4 or more into the throttle. Depending on road surface chirping 1-2-3 is pretty easy but at WOT I cant tell you for sure if the 3-4 chirps or not (CAI is too loud for me to tell inside the car)

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
Banned

If you asked for chirping and spinning from Mike, you'll get it. My 275 tires don't stand a chance. :-p

And I did my 5-revision Bama 93R and no data log MPT 93 tune the same night.

BAMA: 13.92 @ 102
MPT: 13.45 @ 104
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
Banned

Quote:
Hmm odd they gave me 93 S, P, and R tunes (all open) which allows me to tweak them myself. I got my shift points nice and firm plus I avoid the flat spot in the higher RPMs shifting at 6850 being that I don't have headers (yet). (even gained about 2 mpg hwy LOL)
The front end definitely comes up on every shift whenever I'm 3/4 or more into the throttle. Depending on road surface chirping 1-2-3 is pretty easy but at WOT I cant tell you for sure if the 3-4 chirps or not (CAI is too loud for me to tell inside the car)
Bama allowed the tweaking on your tune? Honestly, I haven't checked for it since switching to SCT from Diablo.

I noticed JLP did leave the basic params to tweak. Only non basic is global spark which could be dangerous in the wrong hands, lol. That adds spark "everywhere", even at all part throttle loads/conditions.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
PONY Member

My Bama tune has always been locked down.
Apprentice

What track are you going to?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire003 View Post
If you asked for chirping and spinning from Mike, you'll get it. My 275 tires don't stand a chance. :-p

And I did my 5-revision Bama 93R and no data log MPT 93 tune the same night.

BAMA: 13.92 @ 102
MPT: 13.45 @ 104
Was the shifting considerably faster and firmer on the MPT over the Bama? Ryan sent one last week that was every bit as extremely quick and firm as the one Brian at Diablo had set up for me before most of the mods. No tire chirping with the DR's though lol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Was the shifting considerably faster and firmer on the MPT over the Bama? Ryan sent one last week that was every bit as extremely quick and firm as the one Brian at Diablo had set up for me before most of the mods. No tire chirping with the DR's though lol
Ryan got the Bama tune shifting pretty well, but the MPT shifts smoother and possibly faster. I should also mention that the tunes make the CAI sound different. I assume that's where the magic happens...
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
So this board has been a tug of war between people swapping from bama to MPT, with no one backing up the butt dyno with timeslips, so I took it upon myself to cure my own curiosity as well as some of you all. I'll be bringing my 2011 automatic to the track tomorrow to get some passes in with both a bama tune and an MPT tune. I spoke to Mike at MPT and ordered the MPT tune with the rush option in order to get it for tomorrow. Mike was an absolute pleasure to contact. He responded to emails almost instantly and was able to churn out a tune for me in a record 2 hours from when I submitted the form.

Right now I'm running a 93H tune from bama that has had 3 datalog revisions by Don. He did great work on the tune, but it still is nowhere near the claims people are making about MPT. (I actually heard someone say they chirp 3-4 with an MPT tune). Street-wise, it's pretty good. It actually held up a long time before it started getting soft, now the butt dyno is completely gone from it. I have never ran this datalogged tune at the track before so it will be my first run with a final revision bama tune and my mods. This is the "New 93H" style tune from bama that you all may have heard some members bragging on which supposedly gives MPT a run for their money.

The MPT tune I ordered was a 93 "Performance" with "Race" shifting. In the comments, I asked the tuner to tune for maximum power throughout the entire RPM range, and to be aggressive enough to chirp the tires (same thing I asked bama for). There were no datalogs exchanged yet, and so this will be a typical mail order tune.

My mods will consist of the tune being tested, an Airaid CAI, 3:73 gears, and an aluminum driveshaft. I'll be removing the spare from the back and launching off idle for both tunes with traction control off. I will be skipping the water box as well. I'll try to make 3 back to back passes with bama, then cool down and swap to MPT for 3 more runs. The best I have run in my car so far has been a 13.872 at 98.XX mph with my old unfinished 93H bama tune, 3:73's, stock driveshaft, and the AIRAID CAI.

If anyone else can think of any variables I need to consider in order to make this a fair comparison, or what they would like me to look for while I drive both tunes, please post. I want to make this as informative and unbiased as possible so we can really see who is making the most aggressive emailed tunes between bama or MPT.
Quote:

You said are running a BAMA 93H which is more than likely not going to be as aggressive as could be...
You have the guy at MPT make a tune going in knowing what you are going to try?
Seems kind of an unfair comparison... Kind of like having a "race" when the other person is not aware there is a race...
This is really cool! I always love a good friendly competition. I'm confident that you have two great tunes right now and that the track times are going to be similar. It's hard to compare sometimes because of the time of the run, temperature of the car, traction, shifting etc.. However, I think you should still be able to get some pretty good runs in with both tunes!

If you'd like us to write you another tune that is a little more aggressive and strictly for the track, we can do that for you as well! Just let Don know and he'll definitely get you squared away.

Enjoy your time a the track it's a real blast taking your Mustang down the track! I look forward to seeing the results, let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance.

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
What track are you going to?
I'm heading to No Problem Raceway in Belle Rose tonight. Track opens at 5:00 and is hot from 6:00-8:00 for all cars.

post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
All my tunes are also locked. Are you sure those aren't the canned SCT tunes that came on the tuner? Everything I've gotten from bama has completely locked me out of changing any options myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page