Dynomax overaxle pipes review - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Dynomax overaxle pipes review

ill start off by saying that i have long tubes, catted x pipe and borla touring axle back. Every time i get under the car i see those stock over axle pipes and i cringe because of how small they look and the driver side has that flat spot on it. Made me sick. Also it always sounded like the connections were loose or something at around 2200- 2400 rpms, made like a rattle sound. I would tighten all the connections and within an hour the sound would be back.

So ive been looking at the dynomax pipes (55567, 55568) and was hesitant because i needed a Muffler shop to welded the old muffler fittings on. But i pulled the trigger. Got the pipes for $43 each at advanced auto, went down the street to the best muffler shop in town, i heard the guy does welding for all the car dealers in town so that was a plus.

went to pick it up, looked under it, looked fantastic. everything was aligned spot on and the pipes were actually pushed up closer to the body more than the stock ones which i wanted. Tips stuck out a little bit more which was a plus because they were actually kinda tucked in, flush with the bumper before.

Now i started it up, it sounded a bit deeper and not as smooth (in a good way) i could hear each cylinder coming out instead of a constant hummmm. Not to big of a difference but i could tell. Pulled out of the parking lot and gave it some gas up to the speed limit. IT FELT SO MUCH SMOOTHER That rattling sound was gone. the car seemed louder during acceleration, but actually quieter on the highway or constant speed for that matter.

I also was having a idle problem from the longtubes. Wasnt a big deal but the pipes help it. Its almost nonexistent now after an idle re-learn. I also felt more power, and smoother acceleration.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Where are these pipes? The only stock exhaust on my car left is the overaxle pipes and I want to Change them out. Are the dyno max 2.5"? That way I can have 2.5 inch piping from the headers back to the Borlas

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Where are these pipes? The only stock exhaust on my car left is the overaxle pipes and I want to Change them out. Are the dyno max 2.5"? That way I can have 2.5 inch piping from the headers back to the Borlas

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

i ordered them from advance auto online.. the part numbers are 55567 and 55568. yes they are 2.5 inch too. It was a good investment.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013
Banned

Thought I'd bump this because I'm interested as well.

My exhaust has had some issues so when I fix them I want it done right.

I thought the stock over axle pipes were 2.25" ID but they are 2.25" OD, my mistake I guess. I put in 2.25" ID glasspacks and they fit over the stock piping. Which would be fine to weld but I just have them clamped.

So now since I have the BBK Shorties, MRT H-pipe, and Borla S-types, I'd like to make the entire exhaust 2.5". If I get these over axle pipes, how will they mate up to the mid pipe? I assume the mid pipe must come down to 2.25" to mate up to the stock piping. And I'm guessing the borla axle backs are 2.25" also?

I'm disappointed because even though I got the sound I was after, leaks and sizing issues have caused it to turn into a bit of a money pit.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire003 View Post
Thought I'd bump this because I'm interested as well.

My exhaust has had some issues so when I fix them I want it done right.

I thought the stock over axle pipes were 2.25" ID but they are 2.25" OD, my mistake I guess. I put in 2.25" ID glasspacks and they fit over the stock piping. Which would be fine to weld but I just have them clamped.

So now since I have the BBK Shorties, MRT H-pipe, and Borla S-types, I'd like to make the entire exhaust 2.5". If I get these over axle pipes, how will they mate up to the mid pipe? I assume the mid pipe must come down to 2.25" to mate up to the stock piping. And I'm guessing the borla axle backs are 2.25" also?

I'm disappointed because even though I got the sound I was after, leaks and sizing issues have caused it to turn into a bit of a money pit.
a mustang is the definition of a money pit.

my bbk mid pipe was made to hook up to the stock overaxle pipes so the mid pipe ends with 2.25. the dynamax pipes start out with 2.25 (same as the ending of the bbk midpipe) so the shop reused the stock clamp.

As for the muffler side of these pipes, they end with 2.5 so i had the shop cut and weld the stock pipe ball joint fittings to the dynamax pipes. so i can still take my mufflers off and stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page