help me decide - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

help me decide

ok I feel Ive been living on you tube for weeks. here's the thing. I own a v6 mustang and want it to sound better. wife hates the idea as I did the same on my truck anyhow, she hates the loud exhaust.

can someone please recommend an axleback that is not loud but not too quiet. doesn't have to be from the list below either.

The quiet ones:
Flowmaster force 2 >>> sounds better than stock but just ok.
Bassani >>> supposed to be louder than flowmaster but also just ok

The loud ones:
1. roush >>> love the sound except the poping is a bit much and wife hates it.
2. borla s-type>>> also nice and less poping but this one too sounds too loud for the wife. yup she hates it.

The in between:???
1. Ford racing >>> this one sounds in between the quiet ones and loud ones to me with little to no poping and volume in between.

CAN ANYONE RECCOMEND OTHERS TO LOOK AT??? OR COMMENT ON THE ONES ABOVE. THANKS FOR THE HELP. hopefully I wont be in the dog house after I bolt this mod on. hehe.

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013
Apprentice

Frpp or borla touring.

FRPP 3.55 - DSS driveshaft - LMR SVE Drift 19x9.5 - Falken FK452 275/40/19 - Eibach Sportlines - Airaid Intake - Bama Tune
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Here is what I have.
Put FRPP sports on first. A little louder at idle. A little louder at cruise, a little louder at WOT , than stock. Absolutely no popping or drone.
I then added BBK long tubes and catted X pipe.A bit louder at idle, quite a bit louder at cruise speeds. very loud and raspy at WOT.
I then put on GT resonators. About the same at idle. Sounds great at cruising speeds, not excessive, but muscular. At WOT. fairly loud, but toned down from no resonators with some rasp at 3500-4000 rpm.
I am very pleased with my current set up. The exhaust note is nice and deep, actually as close to the sound of my V8, as possible.
I think you would be pleased with the FRPP sports. But changing exhaust is very subjective. I don't think listening to sound clips helps much. But I would encourage you to stay with the higher end mufflers. Set ups like pipes sound terrible to me.( Ive heard them in person) But again, this is just my opinion.
Regardless, adding FRPP sport axle backs to an otherwise stock system, should not be too loud for anyones tastes. At least IMO.
Just remember that no matter want you do, the V6 will never sound like a V8. You can make it sound great, but it still only has 6 cylinders.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Here is what I have.
Put FRPP sports on first. A little louder at idle. A little louder at cruise, a little louder at WOT , than stock. Absolutely no popping or drone.
I then added BBK long tubes and catted X pipe.A bit louder at idle, quite a bit louder at cruise speeds. very loud and raspy at WOT.
I then put on GT resonators. About the same at idle. Sounds great at cruising speeds, not excessive, but muscular. At WOT. fairly loud, but toned down from no resonators with some rasp at 3500-4000 rpm.
I am very pleased with my current set up. The exhaust note is nice and deep, actually as close to the sound of my V8, as possible.
I think you would be pleased with the FRPP sports. But changing exhaust is very subjective. I don't think listening to sound clips helps much. But I would encourage you to stay with the higher end mufflers. Set ups like pipes sound terrible to me.( Ive heard them in person) But again, this is just my opinion.
Regardless, adding FRPP sport axle backs to an otherwise stock system, should not be too loud for anyones tastes. At least IMO.
Just remember that no matter want you do, the V6 will never sound like a V8. You can make it sound great, but it still only has 6 cylinders.
No popping? How you figure? My Frpp Sports pop a lot on decel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
No popping? How you figure? My Frpp Sports pop a lot on decel.

I have an automatic, and mine don't.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013
Banned

I personally think a good combination to get better performance and subtle, but overall noticeable improvement in tone over stock would be this; BBK shorty headers, FRPP cut/clamp x-pipe and Corsa axle back. It'll be clean, refined and most of all, not obnoxious in the slightest.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013
PONY Member

Shorties definitely provide a deeper sound.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Cimeron,

here is my thread on my Bassani axle backs.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...iew-hints.html

If you want to hear them in person Tarrytown is a ride but not a stupid long one and search my threads for the New England Cruise (Central/Western Mass) the last weekend in october.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I personally think a good combination to get better performance and subtle, but overall noticeable improvement in tone over stock would be this; BBK shorty headers, FRPP cut/clamp x-pipe and Corsa axle back. It'll be clean, refined and most of all, not obnoxious in the slightest.
I'd wait on the Mac shorties.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Apprentice

I know a lot of guys don't care for the Roush AB's, but I put them on my '14 and I love the sound. They are loud, but to me they sound great! They have a unique sound, not like a V8, but certainly not like a 4-popper. The popping on decel is very minimal, probably because I have the auto. Just my 2-cents.

2014 Ingot Silver 3.7, K&N 69 Typhoon CAI, Roush AB's. 3.73 FRPP gears, BAMA tune.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'll say this. Don't take the cats off the car unless you like extremely aggressive exhaust sounds. Honestly don't mess with anything other than the mufflers if all you want is sound.

Before the h pipe I would say the Borla s type w/ shorty headers and stock midpipe sounded damn near perfect for a deep throaty v8 sound. When I went to the track everyone, literally everyone, thought it was an 8 cylinder. At WOT it roared but cruising around you couldn't hear it. Very quiet putting around town. Get on it and it sounded great.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page