LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhtx35 View Post
No V6 for me. I already have a v6 car as my daily driver

2003 Mach 1 sounds like a great idea
Fox Body sounds like a great idea as well

I'd only want to add wheels/tires, intake upgrade, exhaust, mild cam,
minor body work, and a tune. That's about as expensive of a project car as I would want.
I assumed you'd take the logical leap and want to swap a V8 into it. If you're buying a project car, you're gonna rebuild the motor/trans ANYWAY, right? May as well get the cheapest starting platform you can find, and that's why I suggested a V6 - they're cheaper to buy (even used) than a V8 car. Other than the motor and the brakes, they're identical to the V8 cars, too.

What you're describing ain't a "project car" by most definitions, and in that case, don't waste your time. Just keep your current car and buy a 2015 to park alongside it...

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Well maybe, but I consider it more of a minor project. something that I can add on too, but not spend a lot of money.

A second car to me would be like an SUV or some 4 door sedan that doesn't drive like a sports car.

Doesn't really matter what we call it, in the end I'd want to reach a goal, it's still a plan and a little project to get it to where I would want it.
Actually, it does matter what you call it, but okay...

To me, a "project car" is a car that you buy cheap to get the rolling chassis, strip it all down to nothing, and then build it back up as a more bad-ass (or hyper restored) copy of what it originally was.

There also has to be a certain amount of gnashing of teeth from SWMBO because that "hunk of junk" is parked in an otherwise usable garage, and eventually , it gets moved outside with a tarp thrown over it in a n admirable but fruitless attempt to keep precipitation, animals, and shrubbery from getting in.

Finally, a real "project car" is essentially sold "as-is" with the mention that you "ran out of money", "don't have time", or "have too many other projects", and it was a hard choice, but the Mustang has to go.

(This is where the most V6-to-V8 swaps occur - or start to occur - in "project cars".)

Yeah, the other guy said it best - what you want is a second car.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Doesn't matter to me what you call it, it'd just be cool to have a car to toy with. I don't want a car that will take me 10 years to restore. I want something in decent shape that I can tinker with.

We can call it a second car, a box with wheels on it, doesn't matter. Just ready to get my hands on a fun muscle car to tinker with.

I don't have the funds, time, tools, knowledge or space to have something in my garage that is sitting around waiting for someone to rebuild it bottom up. I do have the funds, time, knowledge, and space for a fun car to add-on, paint as needed, tune-up, make faster and improve the looks.

We'll agree to disagree, my definition of a project is different then most peoples, but who really cares. Not that big of a deal and we can move on from that.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Seems to me my project car and DD are one and the same! :p
Apprentice
S197 Member

You're like me, you want a different car to slowly modify that has good potential, that is the same, or more than our cars have now, and also cheaper and a v8. Something to drive around on the weekends, and not wear out or tear up you're DD. Also, I don't know if anyone notices this, but our v6's are going to be worth nothing in a few years, with mods or not so I'm holding off on investing anymore into a car that hasn't seen a decent power number from more than a couple of people. I've been shopping for a clean new edge cobra or mach as well since I don't necessarily want a full on project right now that is stripped down bare, just something I can later on down the road put some motor work into it, and put out some higher power numbers in the 600hp-ish range.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
Apprentice

I think what you are getting yourself into is a money pit. That's what a project car always turns into despite one's best intentions. Don't let me discourage you, though. I have plenty of my own money pits. It's a hobby, right?

I dream of one day owning a Mustang from every generation. Sucks because the one specimen I do have, the banks owns most of it. Then, we have a new generation about to come out. Going backwards, I'd have an early 2000s Cobra, then a Fox highway patrol notch back, next a 2.3L Mustang 2 hatch (don't ask me why), and finally a 67 or 68 Shelby Gt350

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah I'm careful, but I have plenty of hobbies. Some actually do have values while others are just for fun. I stand clear of money pits, more important things to do then waste $ on an interest. I'll just set aside a percentage and stick with that as I have always done.

The 2003 Mach 1 someone bought up sounds like a really good idea to go after, just have to evaluate what's out there and what to look for that will take some time. When I think of Money pit I think of someone buying something spur of the moment without research or rational thinking, I'm not an impulse buyer by any means.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

Apprentice

Quote:
Doesn't matter to me what you call it, it'd just be cool to have a car to toy with. I don't want a car that will take me 10 years to restore. I want something in decent shape that I can tinker with.

We can call it a second car, a box with wheels on it, doesn't matter. Just ready to get my hands on a fun muscle car to tinker with.

I don't have the funds, time, tools, knowledge or space to have something in my garage that is sitting around waiting for someone to rebuild it bottom up. I do have the funds, time, knowledge, and space for a fun car to add-on, paint as needed, tune-up, make faster and improve the looks.

We'll agree to disagree, my definition of a project is different then most peoples, but who really cares. Not that big of a deal and we can move on from that.
I think I'm looking for the same thing as you! I've been thinking about a fox for awhile but two days ago I was considering a new edge mach 1. I just wanted another car, call it what you want, that I could drive and work on. But I decided to just put money towards my car
PONY Member

The 2011 + V6's have messed me up. I thought about buying a 98 - 99 Cobra for a project car. I started thinking about it and WHY buy a V8 car with bad gas mileage (and worn out) thats not really any faster than my V6 Mustang. So my 2011 V6 Mustang is my daily driver, project car and also my hobby :yelpleased:

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
The 2011 + V6's have messed me up. I thought about buying a 98 - 99 Cobra for a project car. I started thinking about it and WHY buy a V8 car with bad gas mileage (and worn out) thats not really any faster than my V6 Mustang. So my 2011 V6 Mustang is my daily driver, project car and also my hobby :yelpleased:
Exactly haha I could get a mach 1 and throw some money in it to make it almost as fast as my car(I know the mach 1 would be faster with some mods but I'd have to practice shifting a lot) and get worse gas milage, and more insurance. I'd love the sound and gearbox though, I may not be the best or fastest at driving a manual, but I have a hell of fun doing it!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
So my 2011 V6 Mustang is my daily driver, project car and also my hobby :yelpleased:
Mine is too, but I'm essentially done with it.

*MY* project car would start with a 2010 V6 (I really like the 2010-12 body style), and swapping in (preferably) a 550hp DART block 427 stroker (based on a 351 Windsor) with either dual quads or a quad Weber setup, with a Tremec 6-speed backing it up. All computer-controlled systems would be eliminated. This would essentially mean that I would have to completely re-wire the car.

Yes, I'm absolutely insane, so there's no need to ask.

BTW, the secret to doing a car like this for us normal people with wives and other stuff going on, is to buy all the big-ticket items up front (starter car, motor, trans, rear, brakes). It's much easier to nickle/dime SWMBO over time than it is to one day say - "Okay, now it's time to spend $10k on the crate motor I need." And make no mistake, you're gonna be spending in excess of $25k for your "project car" in *parts alone*. That's why I want a carbuerated pushrod motor - nobody has to tune it for me, so I'll be saving upwards of $500 off the tail-end of the build.

Rookie

I'm in the same boat as you actually. Although I can understand their need to differentiate between project car and second car. I know you say it makes no difference, but you came to ask for everyone's advice, and it does make a difference lol

I actually thought about trading in my 14 v6 before its worthless, for an older C5 vette and a AWD sedan for the winters. The LS motors are pretty proven, and I'd also have a winter beater which i dont have right now. Food for though, unless you're a Ford-only kinda guy.

The Cobras are obviously an awesome option, but good luck finding a decent one for under $15k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page