Getting an itch for a project car - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Getting an itch for a project car

I thought about trading my car in for a GT, possibly when the 2015's are released down the road. But common sense prevailed quickly as I have too much money in my car and still have minor mods to get and dents/dings I need to fix as well as wanting to change to staggered look. Obviously that's not a route I will take.

So thinking about it, I can still mod my Mustang, but I think she needs an older brother to go along with her. I haven't decided what year, and what to look out for since I'd go for about 10 yrs + older depending on when I buy in 2014/2015. Who knows by then a 2005 mustang is affordable. What I want. Something that has maybe about 80k on it. 5spd is a must, Good tires, Engine has to be sound. I'm not going after anything that has been severely modded because if they modded they probably ran the crap out of it. I'd love to get a Cobra, but only one's affordable are pre-2003's as a project as I don't want to spend 15k+ on a Cobra from 2003 even though I love them.

Any ideas, and what I should stay away from or test out when I look down the road.

I'm really wanting to stick around 7500 when I start looking.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013
PONY Member

Personally if i were ever to buy a pre-2011 mustang i wouldn't stop until i hit the Fox era

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013
PONY Member

Look around for a LS converted Fox project, plenty out there, my biz partner sold his twin turbo 6.0 LS 1991 coupe with a 4l80 in it for $6000 a year ago to fund his crazy 1969 Olds 442 pro tourer build so they are out there. You get a light easy to work on platform with one of the best engines built in a long time, easy to run 10's NA or faster turboed

13 V6 Coupe Base MT6
Home built 62mm Turbo Kit

"Old Bo and Luke didn't need no GPS or big old fancy computer cause the one thing those old Duke boys were good at was finding Cooter!"

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

One of my favorite fox bodies is the 93 special edition LX
Performance Red with white leather interior and white 5 spoke wheels
If I had that, I'd probably just make sure it's restored and leave it alone as it's beeeea---utiful. Ok ok maybe exhaust, but that's it. Guess it wouldn't be too much of a project if I don't mod that.

Cobb Access Port
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013
Rookie

I was on your same boat I've got a daily driven v6 and a classic project. For me that setup works great! But are you not interested in a classic mustang project? Im rebuilding a 302 and a 5 speed from an 83 mercury to put in a 69 coupe. And im hardly in over 3 grand.. Although my girl has a built '99 that's bad ass! So I can understand going that route.

'06 V6 Pony Package "Roxanne" - Mostly stock, only window tint and louvers with Borla pro xs muffler - Daily Driver

'69 Grande Project "Lola" - Currently has original 250 inline 6 and converted auto - have '83 5.0 302 with Holley 600 with a T5- Gonna rebuild, swap and enjoy

Do what you love, love what you do
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allsilver86 View Post
I was on your same boat I've got a daily driven v6 and a classic project. For me that setup works great! But are you not interested in a classic mustang project? Im rebuilding a 302 and a 5 speed from an 83 mercury to put in a 69 coupe. And im hardly in over 3 grand.. Although my girl has a built '99 that's bad ass! So I can understand going that route.
Sounds like you have a couple keepers lol

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I don't believe I have the funds or time to go for a classic car build. I want something that is base v8, mechanically sound, and straight body and descent paint. From that point, I can do whatever I want to do.

When I think Classic, that can be a lot of body work, and engine/tranny/suspension as well as interior. I'd get frustrated not having enough time for that sitting in my garage and not running.

Cobb Access Port
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If I were to get a V8 project car, it would be a '72 Buick Riviera, and most certainly not for the purposes of speed or agility. That tuna boat has very little going for it other than (IMO) slick classy lines and gallons upon gallons of driver and passenger room. I am not a Mustang fan, never really was, though I do love this V6. But I wouldn't mind a '69 fastback or an '03 Terminator.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
If I were to get a V8 project car, it would be a '72 Buick Riviera, and most certainly not for the purposes of speed or agility. That tuna boat has very little going for it other than (IMO) slick classy lines and gallons upon gallons of driver and passenger room. I am not a Mustang fan, never really was, though I do love this V6. But I wouldn't mind a '69 fastback or an '03 Terminator.
Good luck on either! There are 03-04 Cobras that are nearly stock that still sell for more than 20k! My buddy bought a 2.1 KB 04 Cobra w/ supporting mods and >30k miles, added nitrous, ran mid 10's and sold it for a 2k investment (had for little over a year). Maybe the new 5.0 owners will luck out and have good resale values also. I'm pretty sure my 12' V6 won't be as lucky.
Banned

Don't forget the 2003-4 Mach 1s. Look for one private sale (dealers are interested in being car museum curators, not in moving them) that has a reasonably clean interior. Accept some body hits from parking lots, etc. The Mach 1s would take lots of drag racing and return home, laughing. Good weight, easy 12 second quarters with little effort, and New Edge looks with a great factory sound system. My vote, anyway.

One could make your $7500 cutoff....at the mileage you mention.
PONY Member

Bite the bullet and wait and buy the 2015......or buy a slightly used Shelby.........!! You will be a lot more satisfied in the long run....best regards Plum
GT Member

If you want a project car, start with a 2005-2009 V6 ro even a 2010 V6 - it'll be cheaper than a used GT. Since it's a project car, it doesn't really matter what shape the drive train is in as long as the body/frame is straight. Then strip it, dip it (on a rotisserie), weld the seams, install a roll cage (f that's part of your project), and do a fresh paint job on it. At that point, you're starting with a "new" car, and do what you want after that...

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

No V6 for me. I already have a v6 car as my daily driver

2003 Mach 1 sounds like a great idea
Fox Body sounds like a great idea as well

I'd only want to add wheels/tires, intake upgrade, exhaust, mild cam,
minor body work, and a tune. That's about as expensive of a project car as I would want.

Cobb Access Port
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs

Banned

That sounds more like a Second car, than a Project car.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well maybe, but I consider it more of a minor project. something that I can add on too, but not spend a lot of money.

A second car to me would be like an SUV or some 4 door sedan that doesn't drive like a sports car.

Doesn't really matter what we call it, in the end I'd want to reach a goal, it's still a plan and a little project to get it to where I would want it.

Cobb Access Port
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page