front control arm replacement - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

front control arm replacement

I have been hearing squeeking when going over speed bumps going sloooooow. I braught it into a ford dealership in my area. they reccomended a front control arm replacement. They said thay are aware of the issue but its not a recal. The car is a 2013 v6 mustang and a year old since purchase. does this sound indicate that shocks also need replacement? Its weired to me that only after a year and this part is bad? anyone else have this issue? and should I insist a replacement of the shocks and struts as well? Thanks

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013
GT Member

Spray some compatible lube on the bushings (there are two on each side of the car). That will make the squeak go away for a while.

Replacing front control arms isn't hard - I did it by myself in my garage - but you need big wrenches (to be safe, get every size from 18 to 22mm). I went with the Steeda control arms because they have ball joints that can be lubed (as well as better bushings). You can also go with FRPP arms.

As I recall, you don't have to disconnect the front shocks to replace the control arms and the squeaks probably aren't caused by the shocks. However, if you have the cash, it might be a good idea to replace the shocks and springs at both ends of the car with "something better" if you just want to mod your car.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
Spray some compatible lube on the bushings (there are two on each side of the car). That will make the squeak go away for a while.

Replacing front control arms isn't hard - I did it by myself in my garage - but you need big wrenches (to be safe, get every size from 18 to 22mm). I went with the Steeda control arms.
What is the weight of the Steeda arms compared to factory? Any reduction?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
What is the weight of the Steeda arms compared to factory? Any reduction?
No weight savings at all. In fact, they're OEM arms with better bushings/ball joints.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Still, better is better. Longevity is worth it in many cases.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimeron2013 View Post
I have been hearing squeeking when going over speed bumps going sloooooow. I braught it into a ford dealership in my area. they reccomended a front control arm replacement. They said thay are aware of the issue but its not a recal. The car is a 2013 v6 mustang and a year old since purchase. does this sound indicate that shocks also need replacement? Its weired to me that only after a year and this part is bad? anyone else have this issue? and should I insist a replacement of the shocks and struts as well? Thanks
Just curious, as I also have a '13 V6 I bought in April, but shouldn't the dealer replace these under warranty?

2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB | Airaid CAI | SR Performance STB | JLT Oil Separator
MPT Tuned | SCT X4 | MMD Classic Louvers | Roush Upper & Lower Grilles
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Yes, they should, especially since they recommended the replacement.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Just curious, as I also have a '13 V6 I bought in April, but shouldn't the dealer replace these under warranty?
yes they are replacing these free of charge to me... I guess the point of the thread was to find out #1 if the control arms is the only thinking I need replaced or shocks/struts also? #2 why these are squeeking only one year after purchase??? but yeah fords replacing these. The guy at the service department said that's its a known issue to ford but they haven't issued a recall on them as of yet. he went ahead and ordered the control arms and I need to get them replaced in a few days.

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013
FordService

Quote:
Hello cimeron2013,

Glad to learn your dealer is taking care of this for you. This is a known concern and your dealer has the most up to date information for the repairs needed. If you need further assistance, donít hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
PONY Member

I've had my Front LCAs replaced under warranty a couple of months ago. They'll replace both. Mine hasn't squeaked since. I had to wait a week for the parts to come in also.
Apprentice

Garage
this sounds to me like TSB 13-9-3. I guess is that the noise is because of lack of lubrication of LCA. Lubricating the LCA bushing helps indeed. Most of forum members indicate that the sound comes when the weather is warm. The latest TSB adds heat shield to protect LCA bushing. All of these info lead me to believe that the bushing dries out due to warm weather and heat rejected from engine.

My conculsion is if the vehicle is in warranty, the latest TSB will help. If the vehicle is out of warranty, just lubricate the bushing frequently will get the noise out.

Just 2 cents.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hello cimeron2013,

Glad to learn your dealer is taking care of this for you. This is a known concern and your dealer has the most up to date information for the repairs needed. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to PM me.

Deysha

pm'ed you... thanks

Apprentice

Quote:
yes they are replacing these free of charge to me... I guess the point of the thread was to find out #1 if the control arms is the only thinking I need replaced or shocks/struts also? #2 why these are squeeking only one year after purchase??? but yeah fords replacing these. The guy at the service department said that's its a known issue to ford but they haven't issued a recall on them as of yet. he went ahead and ordered the control arms and I need to get them replaced in a few days.
Good to know, and no, I wouldn't replace the shocks and struts so soon. Usually don't have to replace them till aroung 40K to 50K miles.

2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB | Airaid CAI | SR Performance STB | JLT Oil Separator
MPT Tuned | SCT X4 | MMD Classic Louvers | Roush Upper & Lower Grilles
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
FordService

Quote:
pm'ed you... thanks
Thanks!

Deysha
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just called ford motor company who told me they don't know the diameter of the piping used on the v6 exhaust... agrrr. dealer actually said to disconnect the pipe and measure it. lol. anyone on this board know what diameter of the v6 exhaust piping is... Much appreciated. man what would I do without this board. just a wealth of helpful information. Truly appreciate it guys/gals. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page