Need advice on handling - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Need advice on handling

Alright so I am a proud owner of my first mustang 2011 v6 and am working on my dream list for my car. I have a few questions on upgrading the handling, number one is what should i be looking at in terms of what to upgrade, two I am probably going to be getting LT's and am worried that if i lower the car then I will be dealing with them scraping and a really want to avoid that. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013
GT Member

Springs, lower control arms, upper control arms, subframe connectors, struts, shocks, tires.

Edit: sway bar. Strut brace.

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Suspension can be very expensive if done properly.

I on the other hand,just have springs. Handles much better than before, relative to how bad it is stock with the 17 inch tires, so it's good enough for me.

Although Handling isn't a big thing for me honestly. As long as I can carve a corner nicely I'm all good. I don't need Porsche levels of handling. Though it is very fun. Being I have driven a 2012 boxter spyder for a while and it was great! Felt like a go kart but the stang is much more comfortable while still providing a sporty feel.

So it all relative to what your expecting out of the stang.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013
Banned

You haven't specified anything at all, really. What will you be using the car for? What kind of handling characteristics are you after? Clarification is needed for proper advice because suspension set-up's are almost as subjective as exhaust choices. It's all about what you desire. We could be pointing you towards the direction of KW Coil-Overs and a Cortex Torque Arm with competition subframe connectors, etc. When you might just want to eliminate wheel gap and firm up that body roll.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks powerwhee i really like the suspension that is already on it considering this is one of the best cars I have ever had I think I might be doing some weekend racing autox and the like so i was trying to figure out if there was something that might give me an edge through the corners and stuff
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah sorry I didnt really clarify on what i was looking for, i am still really new to modding cars especially mustangs but yeah i really just want to upgrade it to a more performance geared style of handling for as i mentioned possible autox and to get more response in quick manuevers on the daily drive i live in tampa and the drivers here will seriously blow your mind on how stupid they are.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013
PONY Member

You need a few things to improve the handling of this car.

The "everything" is way too soft for autocross.

First is the tire problem, you need at least GT wheels to put extreme performance summer tires on.

Then you need springs and shocks because the body rolls way too much in all directions. Inexpensively, GT take off parts help. If you are super serious about improving the car, get Koni yellow shocks and Steeda Springs.

When you replace the front struts, make sure to follow the factory procedure to add camber to the front suspension.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks 740weapon that puts things into perspective for me a little better as to what i am looking for, i knew it had some body roll but i am also very young and inexperienced, and not having driven many cars in my short lifetime i cant tell the difference between some characterisitcs to tell if they are worse one way or the other
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you have the $$$ Roush offers (imho) one of the best handling kits out there.

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetersS197 View Post
Thanks 740weapon that puts things into perspective for me a little better as to what i am looking for, i knew it had some body roll but i am also very young and inexperienced, and not having driven many cars in my short lifetime i cant tell the difference between some characterisitcs to tell if they are worse one way or the other
Here are some pics of my car completely stock:

and how it sat when it wasn't moving:

clearly, the stock suspension is a complete POS when it comes to actually turning. Even the all-seasons over-power the chassis completely. I am relatively sure I am jammed against the bump stops in those pictures.

Every since I put on the Brembo GT suspension, the pictures have become very boring because the chassis is so composed in comparison.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

When I got my Mustang, I couldn't stand the way she cornered at all. The body rolled all over the place. I put front and rear sway bars on and they do a fabulous job in keeping the car flat on the corners. I could tell the difference immediately. They don't change the stance (which I don't have a problem with) but they do help the corners.
Apprentice

Ditto on that here. I got eibach sway bars anti roll kit and it works wonders!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks you guys this helps a ton and gives me a few good ideas on what to look for now, time to start saving haha
Apprentice

Strut tower bar

Okay after driving this car for a few weeks I knew I was going to have to get springs.

Then just for the hell of it I threw on a strut tower bar. Now I have never had one of these on ANY of my previous vehicles - but on this car it's a HUGE improvement.

I'm not getting springs any time soon is all I'm saying.

For a hundred bucks and 15 minutes - pick one up.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Rockett View Post
If you have the $$$ Roush offers (imho) one of the best handling kits out there.
thats debateable with saleen being know for their suspensions in their cars

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page