potential problem found... please confirm or deny. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

potential problem found... please confirm or deny.

I own a 2013 v6 mustang and I was under the car looking at the x pipe to see about an exhaust mod. There is a factory clamp right after the x part of pipe, the section of pipe that goes from that factory clamp to the muffler on the drivers side is crimped for about 24" section of that pipe. Th unusual thing is that the passenger side pipe is a perfect diameter with no crimping on that side. Is this normal? Is so whats the purpose of this constriction on the drivers side only? This is definatly intentional and not caused by bottoming out as the pipe is crimped on the side towards the street or the bottom but also on the top or the side of the pipe near the car which would be impossible to create if bottoming out. So again can anyone with a v6 please tell me If they have this condition on thier car or not. Once again thank you in advance for your help.

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It is normal, all of them have it from the factory.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
It is normal, all of them have it from the factory.
really? do you know why? whats the reason for this constriction on one pipe and not the other?

2013 V6 Mustang Automatic with the following mods: Roush Hood scoop, 3M Clear braw paint protector, MRT rear window louvers, 3M scotchprint carbon fiber roof wing decklid and scoop, strut tower brace, FRPP axleback exhaust.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to tormenting5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to tormenting5.0
I believe it has something too do with the assembly line. And making it easier too install the exhaust system.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimeron2013 View Post
really? do you know why? whats the reason for this constriction on one pipe and not the other?
The other one is crimped too, it's just on the top. They all have it, don't worry about it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
The other one is crimped too, it's just on the top. They all have it, don't worry about it.
I was under the car today and I'm certain that only one is crimped (drivers side) the other (passenger side) is NOT crimped. At least on my car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormenting5.0 View Post
I believe it has something too do with the assembly line. And making it easier too install the exhaust system.
for the life of me I don't see how crimping only one of the pipes makes it any easier to install??? can you please explain I would appreciate it.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013
Apprentice

Funny, I always wondered this my self, glad you asked.

2011 Performance White v6 automatic convertible. Bama tuner, Air Aid CAI, Borla s-type axle back, BBK 73mm tb, BBK shorty headers, Ford Racing 3.55 gears, DSS 3.5 aluminum driveshaft, BMR panhard bar, BBK lca, Forgestar F14 19" Gunmetal staggered wheels, CDC light bar, Stillen chin spoiler.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

ok apparently this has been talked about a few times on the forum... the below link is but one such thread. apparently this is intentional and the best response I have read is that it has to do with reducing drone. by crimping one pipe and not the other it changes the stereo effect associated with how drone sound is formed when coming out of two identical cross-sectional pipes. I highly doubt it has anything to do with clearance issues or manufacturing or assembly line stuff.

Have a look: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-pipe-wtf.html

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

well I was going to do the raceland electronic cutouts but putting those in will defeat (bypass) this crimped pipe resulting in drone>>> which I do not want in my exhaust note. when she sings I want'er to purrrrrrr not drone

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
I was under the car today and I'm certain that only one is crimped (drivers side) the other (passenger side) is NOT crimped.
Mine is currently on a lift and when I read this thread I went out and looked at the exhaust. Both resonators are crimped, one on the top and the other on the bottom.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Mine is currently on a lift and when I read this thread I went out and looked at the exhaust. Both resonators are crimped, one on the top and the other on the bottom.
what year is your car? Think they might have done it differently with older models.

Grimace427

Quote:
well I was going to do the raceland electronic cutouts but putting those in will defeat (bypass) this crimped pipe resulting in drone>>> which I do not want in my exhaust note. when she sings I want'er to purrrrrrr not drone

If you are installing exhaust cutouts not only are you bypassing the resonators but also the mufflers. Your car will be loud and raspy as hell, nevermind drone.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
If you are installing exhaust cutouts not only are you bypassing the resonators but also the mufflers. Your car will be loud and raspy as hell, nevermind drone.
you are absolutely right... I'm rethinking and just going with an axleback. hopefully the frpp will sound good but not overly obnoxious. however, the resonators on my car are farther forward and cutouts won't bypass those but still the sound will not be good I agree.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Ditto, cutouts will not let you think about anything but LOUD and there will be no such thing as drone.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
what year is your car? Think they might have done it differently with older models.

(...15...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page