brakes upgrade...help!!! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ad View Post
I've had slotted/crossdrilled rotors on cars before, and honestly, for a daily driver.. all they do is chew up pads faster. Stick with high quality blanks. I've used Hawk HPS pads in the past and never been disappointed by them.

Oh, and regardless of what you choose, make sure you bed-in your new pads properly for best performance. Hawk recommends 6-10 moderate stops from 35mph, then 2-3 hard stops from 45mph, then park and let them cool off completely.
I was on the fence between the Hawk HPS and Ceramics. I went with the ceramics in the interest of less dust. Probably wouldn't have been a big deal with my dark gray wheels.

+1 on the proper bedding procedure. You can feel the brakes grabbing better towards the last stops. Good advice which I forgot to mention.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPinTX View Post
I was on the fence between the Hawk HPS and Ceramics. I went with the ceramics in the interest of less dust. Probably wouldn't have been a big deal with my dark gray wheels.

+1 on the proper bedding procedure. You can feel the brakes grabbing better towards the last stops. Good advice which I forgot to mention.
i'm right on that fence right now, i can't decide which way to go...help
also what would be a good option of brake fluid
i currently have 39k miles on the car would it be a good idea to upgrade brake fluid, since i'm changing the front set up

Race Red 14' 5oh
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2115criss View Post
i'm right on that fence right now, i can't decide which way to go...help
also what would be a good option of brake fluid
i currently have 39k miles on the car would it be a good idea to upgrade brake fluid, since i'm changing the front set up
Your car is at the mileage and probably age to do a brake flush. You are supposed to do it every 2 years due to brake fluid's moisture retention properties. You want to keep moisture out of the brake system. Spend a few bucks extra on fluid and it's good insurance to help prevent brake fade due to boiling the fluid. This is only an issue if you are using the brakes a bunch. I am probably going to use ATE Typ 200, but I haven't yet flushed mine and can't comment as to the effectiveness of a high performance fluid.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.

PONY Member

My infinite wisdom:

Take your time and look for a set of cheap GT500 brembo take offs. They are very reasonable and bolt right on to any '05-'14 mustang. I got mine for $400 shipped. The only reason to get drilled or slotted rotors is if you like how they look.

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it
GT Member

i love my brakes. gt bracket and new rotors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	592.3 KB
ID:	274834  

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the feedback
I alright make a decision and went with the GT calipers and rotors pair w/ hawk ceramic pads

Race Red 14' 5oh
PONY Member

What pads would be good for a DD? Mostly thinking ahead when my pads go. hawk? Ebc? Low noise would be best.

2012 Black MCA, HID package, Steeda splitter, Airaid cold air intake, AM Hood struts, FRPP Sport axle back, Soon : matching lower grille, MMD tailight surrounds and tint.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
What pads would be good for a DD? Mostly thinking ahead when my pads go. hawk? Ebc? Low noise would be best.
From what I've heard the hawk ceramics are very good for DD and they are low dust and low noise.. I don't have much experience with brake pads so I'm not really sure

Race Red 14' 5oh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page