brakes upgrade...help!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Thumbs up brakes upgrade...help!!!

Hello everyone
I'm planning on upgrading my brakes. I have a few questions the first question is it worthy to upgrade to the 13in gt front calipers and rotors, I don't do track races with my car, so is just a DD.. Also I want to get dimpled and slotted rotors is this a good idea.
the rotors are from brakeperformance with semi metallic pads
What do you all think about this...thanks for the help in advance

Race Red 14' 5oh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013
GT Member

For everyday car I dont think its worth it. A goot brake kitnis 3-4k. Thats a lot to spend when your current set up is good enough for a dd

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013
Apprentice

idk about you, but i find my stock brakes to be more then enough. Especially for a daily driver. This is coming from someone who has alot of road rage roadrage.gif. Its probably one of the few things i plan on keeping stock on this car since it works perfectly.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

They don't feel bad for my driving style, but the problem is that my stock rotors have lots of heat spots so I probably won't get the calipers
so what about the rotors is that a good option

Race Red 14' 5oh
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013
PONY Member

I have had the same brakes and rotors since 2010 and I have 54,000 miles on my car now. I bought my car back in October of 2010

Brakes are doing great. I have a manual tranny so I downshift a lot instead of trying to slam on the brakes. My tranny is also doing great.

The brakes don't need to be upgraded unless you are doing auto-x type of competition.

If you did anything you could do a swap to GT rotors/brakes in the Front that wouldn't be too bad of an upgrade. I believe that's what some people are doing.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2115criss View Post
They don't feel bad for my driving style, but the problem is that my stock rotors have lots of heat spots so I probably won't get the calipers
so what about the rotors is that a good option
The GT calipers are the same as the V6 units, just on bigger brackets to mate proprly with the larger rotors. Go to Roush's ebay store. You will need the rotors and a set of calipers so you can used the brackets. They sell virtually new take-offs from GTs they do their entire brake treatment to, so most of thek have just a handful of miles. Lightly scuff the rotors with scotchbrite pad or fine sandpaper and clean off and oil or dust and they're like new.

I did this upgrade with a fresh set of pads just because I wanted to. Only thing with replacing pads, you will have to compress your caliper pistons to put in fresh, thick pads. I spent $125 on the rotors and $100 on Hawk ceramic pads. Hawk makes different grades of pads for everything from track use to performance street applications. EBC also makes good pads.

I am happy with the $225 I spent. One caveat is since I did pads and rotors at the same time, I don't know how much the rotors did on their own. My gut tells me thr rotors give me a stronger initial bite when I hit the brakes and the pads give a little better pedal feel and less fade. I wasn't real impressed with the stock "Performance Package" brake pads. Now, I am happy and will eventually put in some higher grade brake fluid. No reason you have to drop a few grand on brakes unless you trwck the car all the time.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The calipers are identical, V6 or GT, it's the caliper brackets that are different to space the calipers out for the larger rotors.

It's a cheap conversion but for what you are doing it won't net you much.

Now, if you need to replace the rotors anyway, then it is only another $75 for the pair of GT calipers with the brackets on them from Roush's ebay store. The rotors are only $50 for the pair.

As to slotted and dimpled, all that really does is add some looks but takes away surface area and they cost a lot more than good replacement rotors.
_

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

So upgrading to the dimpled-slotted rotors is not worthy, since I don't use my car for competition
How about much simpler set of just slotted rotors at front with the stock calipers

Race Red 14' 5oh
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2115criss View Post
So upgrading to the dimpled-slotted rotors is not worthy, since I don't use my car for competition
How about much simpler set of just slotted rotors at front with the stock calipers
I've heard of some cheaper aftermarket drilled or slotted rotors cracking. My vote is still on the GT oem rotor upgrade. The difference may not be massive, but for $225 you won't at all feel like you threw away your money.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPinTX View Post
I've heard of some cheaper aftermarket drilled or slotted rotors cracking. My vote is still on the GT oem rotor upgrade. The difference may not be massive, but for $225 you won't at all feel like you threw away your money.
Alright, I'm gonna go with the set up that you have
so what all I need is the GT oem rotors and calipers with a good set of pads
call you all tell me what are some really good pads
thanks for the advice!

Race Red 14' 5oh
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I like my setup that being said I did spend a little but I sure enjoy how the rotors don't "insta-rust" and they sure have more bite than the stocks did...
Rotor swap out with ceramic pads.

They also came with a 3 year warranty against warping and cracking

Oxford White 2015 Premium GT with 50-Year Pkg | 3.55 Gears | Roush CAI (105mm Velocity tube) | Stainless Works Headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coated), high flow cats, H-Pipe CatBack full 3" with 4" tips| BAMA V2 93 Octane Tune | Baer EradiSpeed-Plus 2-Piece Rotors | JLT 3.0 Oil Separators | FRPP M-20201-M STB | Silver PP Wheels 19x9, 19x9.5 | NITTO G2 255-40-19, 275-40-19 Tires | J&M Jacking Rails & Subframe Alignment Kit | Steeda Subframe Connectors & Bushing Supports | BMR Front Subframe Brace | Cervinis 1232 Functional Ram Air hood | Ford Performance door sills | White Madness Garage Chrome Shifter | Diode Dynamics interior LED conversion stage 1 & XP80 reverse light | 3M Dark Ceramic Tint (25% sides/20% rear) | Lloyds "50 Years" floor and trunk mats...

Performance White 2012 Premium Pony Package | Torsen T2R 4:1 TBR | FRPP 3.73 Gears | GT500 Differential Cover | DSS 3.8" Carbon Fiber DS | Airaid CAI | BAMA 93R tune | Baer DecelaRotors (drilled/slotted) | BMR Adjustable Panhard & Brace | JLT Oil Separator | Boss 302 STB | Nexen N3000 255-45-ZR18Y tires | PP Engine Cover | 25% Tint

All cars should be rated for Smiles Per Gallon!
Rookie

I've had slotted/crossdrilled rotors on cars before, and honestly, for a daily driver.. all they do is chew up pads faster. Stick with high quality blanks. I've used Hawk HPS pads in the past and never been disappointed by them.

Oh, and regardless of what you choose, make sure you bed-in your new pads properly for best performance. Hawk recommends 6-10 moderate stops from 35mph, then 2-3 hard stops from 45mph, then park and let them cool off completely.

2013 V6 Premium A6 - Airaid CAI, Bama 93H Tune, FRPP 3.55 gears, Dynomax Catback
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Thanks for all the info, so I'm going to stick to the GT oem set up and the hawk pads which is going to save me some $$$

Race Red 14' 5oh
PONY Member

Best 850 i spend yet on a new 6 piston lighter then stock to

Borla catback s-type Borla Long tube off road x pipe
Jlt carbon fiber intake
BBK TB 3.73 gears
pro kit Eibach adj sway bars
J&M panhard bar J&M extreme lower control arm
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555
DSS Aluminum 3.5
Shelby Baer 6P Brakes
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1 View Post

Best 850 i spend yet on a new 6 piston lighter then stock to
they look great, but i dont have that much money to spend in set of brakes, and yeah i bet that they're worthy

Race Red 14' 5oh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page