First Mod Before Winter- CAI/Tune or Catback? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

First Mod Before Winter- CAI/Tune or Catback?

Hi all,

Just picked up my mustang less than a week ago and already thinking about modding. However, with winter coming in Canada and having to cough up for a good set of winter tires and wheels, I can only do one other major performance mod by the winter. I know the CAI/Tune is a must, but am wondering if it would be better to save it for spring and get the catback for the sound for the winter? I'm still learning driving the manual on the car and getting used to the power. Therefore im leaning towards the catback first and once I get used to the power get the tune combo in the spring.

So would you get the CAI/tune or Catback for the first mod with winter comin up?

2011 V6 6MT, Kona Blue, Premium, heated Saddle leather, 3.31, HID
***Procharged***
Mods: AIRAID CAI, Bama, Magnaflow Street CB, BBK S. Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe, BBK 73TB, Strut Tower Brace, SR Springs 1.5, Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts, Bumpsteer Kit, Panhard Bar, LCAs, PowerStop Brake Kit, Black MGP Caliper Covers, GT500 Rear Diffuser, Roush Side Splitters, Stillen Front Chin, 30% Tint, LEDs, Black Super Snake Stripes, Polk/Alpine, Audio Control LC7i, RF 10" Sub, 19" Staggered AMRs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013
PONY Member

Performance wise - Get the Tune (Tunes for life from Bama, then also try the MPT Tune for 75$)
For Sound improvement and maybe 5-8 hp - Complete cat-back

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013
Apprentice

I Would Say CAI/Tune, just because the sound will be fun and all but your looking at more money with the exhaust depending on the brand.

Current-2015, GT, Comp. Orange, Magnaflow Comp. Series Catback, JLT CAI, 93 Tune by BBR, PedalMax

Previous- 2011, V6, HP White, C&L CAI, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK Catless X-Pipe, Pypes Bomb Axel Back, 93 Tune by BBR

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
my first mod was tune, then gears (373) and then I got CAI.

Preacherman
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Apprentice

My recommendation is neither tune/cai or catback. You said it yourself that you are still learning manual and getting used to the power plus you are headed towards winter's inclement weather and poor driving conditions. Get a set of Weathertech or Husky floor liners to protect your carpet and maybe a set of drilled aluminum pedals to give your snow/slush covered shoes better grip. Come Spring, you should be used to the car and I think you'll appreciate the extra power you'll gain from mods that much more.

I think when you do start modding, you should do the tuner and cai first. Then, decide if you want the exhaust. You may find the extra noise from the cai satisfies you enough not to do the exhaust. Power gains are minimal and I am really questioning whether I could hear the exhaust over the induction noise from the cai. I am planning to do shorty headers which is supposed to deepen the exhaust note and you get good low/mid range power gains.

My 2 cents

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I will definitely be getting the weathertech digital floor liners, in addition to 17" Blizzak WS70 winter tires and wheels from Tirerack so I should be good to go for the winter. My car came with the premium package and the pedals are pretty sticky.

I should have mentioned that I am looking at the Pypes catback. I don't think any other catback is worth spending that much money, and the axleback won't increase performance at all and I might as well pay a couple hundred more for the catback. In the future, I do plan on doing full bolt-ons (headers, x pipe, etc.) so I want the most benefit from a a free-flowing exhaust set-up.

2011 V6 6MT, Kona Blue, Premium, heated Saddle leather, 3.31, HID
***Procharged***
Mods: AIRAID CAI, Bama, Magnaflow Street CB, BBK S. Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe, BBK 73TB, Strut Tower Brace, SR Springs 1.5, Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts, Bumpsteer Kit, Panhard Bar, LCAs, PowerStop Brake Kit, Black MGP Caliper Covers, GT500 Rear Diffuser, Roush Side Splitters, Stillen Front Chin, 30% Tint, LEDs, Black Super Snake Stripes, Polk/Alpine, Audio Control LC7i, RF 10" Sub, 19" Staggered AMRs
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Apprentice

I Did my C&L CAI Before winter in Maryland back in 2010 and the induction noise is a huge plus, not to mention the hp gain from the colder, denser air. Everyone goes through thinking there car is to loud or to noisy with exhaust mods right away( might just be me and my friends) but you will get used to and will be on to the next one. But have fun whatever your choice

Current-2015, GT, Comp. Orange, Magnaflow Comp. Series Catback, JLT CAI, 93 Tune by BBR, PedalMax

Previous- 2011, V6, HP White, C&L CAI, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK Catless X-Pipe, Pypes Bomb Axel Back, 93 Tune by BBR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page